81
Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011

Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

  • Upload
    tranque

  • View
    233

  • Download
    2

Embed Size (px)

Citation preview

Page 1: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County

towns

12/26/2011

Page 2: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

WAYNE COUNTY

DETROIT Abington AKA: Littman-Peoples, Goldcoast

8208 12th St 1944-1953 800 seats * 1927 opened as Littman-Peoples in 1927 with 1,100 seats. * 1938 known as simply as Littman's * 1941 closed * 1945 reopened as Abington * 1953 closed * 1956 reopened as Goldcoast * 1958 closed

Academie 9000 Oakland 1921-1928 342 seats

Ace AKA: Frontenac

7206 Harper 1939-1951 834 seats * 1912 opened as Frontenac * 1939 renamed Ace * Early 1940's taken over by Wisper-Wetman Theaters (Co-Op) * 1951 closed

Acme 17 Davison 1922-1924 Brown, Samuel (Booked by Cooperative) owned this theatre.

Adams 44 W Adams 1917-1988 1,545 seats * 1918 switched to movies and taken over by J. H. Kinsky, Inc. * 1925 owner: Kohn L. Kunsky, Inc. (Co-Op) * 1927 Vitaphone installed as the Chicago-based Balaban & Katz chain takes it over * 1935 Renovated * 1953 CinemaScope installed * 1963 Community Theaters (booked by co-op) takes it over * Early 1970's switched to a grindhouse policy * 1988 split into 3 cinemas but it did not do well, someone was murdered in one of the cinemas and later in the year 2 teenagers were wounded in a shootout in front of the theatre. * November 1988 closed * 1999 the marquee is removed

Addison AKA: Fine Arts

2954 Woodward 1914-1915 * 1914 opened as Addison * 1915 renamed Fine Arts * 1980 closed * 1990's used as a concert hall * 1998 the city of Detroit closed it down * 2006 reopened as a concert hall.

Page 3: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

3

Admiral

11205 Mack 1941-? 1975 1,200 seats * 1921 opened as Harmony with 1,325 seats. * 1941 remodelled and renamed Admiral by Associated Theatres, Inc, which sells it in the late 1950's * Late 1970's closed

Aladdin AKA: Galdwin Park, Booth

9636 E Jefferson 1923-1924 * 1914 opened as Gladwin Park * 1923 renamed Aladdin * 1924 closed * 1938 reopened as Booth * 1962 closed

Alamo

? 1940-? 1955 Clark Theater Service owned this theatre in 1955.

Albee

? 1930 Radio-Keith-Orpheum owned this theatre.

Alden ? 1940 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this theatre.

Alger 16451 E Warren ? 1935-? 1985 1,182 seats * 1935 opened by United Detroit (Publix) * 1955 owner: Mutual Theaters, Inc. (booking agent) * Early 1970's the interior is modernized * 1977 stopped showing movies and switched to live shows. * 1983 resumed showing movies * 1985 an riot broke out during the screening of "Friday the 13th Part 5" forced the theatre to close * 1987 this theatre is bought by the Friends of the Alger This is being restored.

Alhambra 9428 Woodward 1915-? 1975 1,475 seats Owners: 1920 J. H. Kunsky, Inc. 1925 Kohn L. Kunsky, Inc. (Co-Op) 1930-1940 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1945 Kilbridge-Hiller Theaters 1955 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan

Allen ? 1920 This theatre was to be built by Toronto-based Allen Theatres, which was bought out by Famous Players.

Almo 5136 Russell 1914-1917

Page 4: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

4

Alomo

? 1935 1,073 seats Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this theatre.

Alvin 13803 Grand River 1940 440 seats

Ambassador AKA: Temple, Art

17730 John R 1924-1945 810 seats * 1924 opened as Ambassador * 1945 renamed Temple * 1961 renamed Art * 1970's adult movies

Amo 3121 Grand River 1912-1949 378 seats J. Leasia owned this theatre.

Amsterdam AKA: Kino 12240 Grand River 1924-1949 400 seats Woodward Theater Company (Booked by Co-Op.) owned this theatre in 1935. * 1924 opened as Amsterdam with 400 seats * 1949 renamed Keno * 1950 closed

Amuse U AKA: Lancaster

10535 W Jeffreson ? 1912-? 1921

Annex AKA: Riveria Annex, Grand Riveria Annex

8990 Grand River 1927-1949 1,496 seats Owners: 1930 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1935-1949 United Detroit (Publix)

Antoine

2203 St. Antoine 1922

Page 5: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

5

Apollo AKA: Clay

1150 Clay 1934-1949 300 seats Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this theatre in 1945.

Arc 3500 Cass 1950-1964 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this theatre in 1955.

Arcade

2416 Hastings 1913-1949 460 seats Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this Afro-American theatre. 1935-1945.

Arcadia AKA: Rex

6756 W. Jefferson 1911-1915 480 seats

Art Chenest St. ? 1935 352 seats

Art AKA: Ambassador, Temple

17730 John R 1961-? 1975 * 1924 opened as Ambassador * 1945 renamed Temple * 1961 renamed Art * 1970's adult movies

Arthur AKA Rose, Crane

8730 Harper 1921-? 1930

Arts & Crafts AKA: Little

57 Watson 1918-1923

Page 6: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

6

Astor

8652 12th St 1923-1956 641 seats Owners: 1925-1935 Brown, Samuel (Booked by Cooperative) 1950 Detroit Consolidated Theaters, Inc.

Astro AKA: Dox , Studio

13325 Livernois 1969 * 1932 opened as Dox * 1951 renamed Studio * 1969 renamed Astro * 1969 closed

Atlas 15832 Plymouth ? 1939-? 1975 950 seats Owners: 1950 Korman Theaters 1955 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan Adult movies in the 1970’s

Avalon 13303 Linwood 1928-1967 1,967 seats Owners: 1930 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1940-1967 Wisper-Wetman Theaters (Co-Op)

Avenue

430 Woodward ? 1935-? 1950 490 seats Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this theatre.

Bagley

3327 Bagley ? 1940-? 1950 384 seats Schulte’s Theatres owned this theatre.

Baker ? 1925-? 1930 A. J. Petersmarck owned this theatre in 1925.

Band Box AKA: Duchess

2647 Grand River 1918-1929

Beacon AKA: Ferryfield

6541 Grand River 1934-1937 1,325 seats * 1916 opened as Ferry Field with 1,325 seats * 1934 renamed Beacon * 1937 closed

Page 7: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

7

Beecher AKA: Little Fam, Bluebird

3205 Baker 1913-1915

Beechwood

5010 W Warren 1915-1948 399 seats Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this Afro-American theatre. theatre 1935-1948.

Bel-Air 10 AKA: Phoenix Bel Air

10100 E 8 Mile 1988-1999 American Multi-Cinemas owned this theatre. It is built on the site of the Bel Air Drive-In.

Bel-Air Drive-In 8600 E 8 Mile August 25, 1950-? 1985 1,750 cars Community Theaters (booked by co-op) owned this drive-in. 2 screens in the early 1970’s and 2 more in the early 1980’s.

Bell 4216 W Venor hwy 1909-1921

Page 8: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

8

Belle AKA: Buchanan

4036 Buchanan 1941-1949 820 seats * 1923 opened as Buchanan with 820 seats * 1930's closed * 1941 renamed Belle * 1949 closed. It is now a church.

Belmont

1934-1948 476 seats Brown, Samuel (Booked by Cooperative) owned this theatre in 1935.

Berkeley

? 1955 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this theatre.

Bernhardt 6369 Chene 1915-1922

Beverly 10709 Grand River 1937-1964 1,475 seats Owners: 1940 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1945-1955 Kilbridge-Hiller Theaters This theatre is now a concert hall.

Big Star AKA: Plaza

1991-? 1992

Bijou AKA: Cent Odeon, New Gayety, Cine X

New Gayety 62 Monroe ? 1908-? 1966 300 seats * 1906 opened as Cent Odeon as a nickelodeon * 1908 renamed Bijou and the auditorium moved down from the second floor. * ? 1940-1966 this theatre catered to an Afro-American theatre. clientele. * 1966 renamed New Gayety * 1968 renamed Cine X and switched to adult movies * Mid 1970's closed

Page 9: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

9

Billiken 1054 Holden 1914-1924

Blackstone Michigan Avenue ? 1930-? 1940 288 seats Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this theatre in 1930.

Blackstone No. 2 Woodward Av. ? 1935-? 1945 250 seats Midwest Theaters, Inc. (Co-op) owned this theatre in 1940.

Bluebird AKA: Little Family

3205 Baker 1916-1927 *1925 owner: A. J. Petersmarck

Booker T

1020 Holbrook ? 1950-1954 This Afro-American theatre. theatre had 1,500 seats.

Bookert

? 1955

Booth AKA: Gladwin Park, Aladdin

9636 E Jefferson 1938-1962 970 seats * 1914 opened as Gladwin Park * 1923 renamed Aladdin * 1924 closed * 1938 reopened as Booth * 1945-1955 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned it * 1962 closed

Boulevard 7237 Gratiot 1913-1939 400 seats Owners: 1925 A. J. Petersmarck 1935 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan

Broadway AKA: Broadway Strand

1337 Broadway 1913-1915

Page 10: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

10

Broadway Strand 1337 Broadway 1915-1929

Broadway-Capitol AKA: Grand Circus

1526 Broadway 1934-1960 United Detroit (Publix) owned this theatre, which had 3,367 seats. * 1922 opened as Capitol with 3,500 seats, the 5th largest theatre in the U. S. at the time. * 1929 renamed Paramount when it was taken over by the Paramount-Publix circuit. * 1932 closed * 1934 reopened as Broadway-Capitol as it is taken over by United Detroit (Publix) * 1940's-1950's different managements. * 1960 back to United Detroit (Publix), which spent over $100,000 in renovations. It also was renamed Grand Circus to show second-run movies. * 1970 the world premiere of the blaxploitation film: "Sweet Sweetbacks Badasss Song" * 1978 stopped showing movies; the last movie was "Jailbait Babysitter" * Early-mid 1980-s used for concert * 1985 closed after a fire. * 1989 the Michigan Opera Theatre buys the Grand Circus and nearby Madison for $3.5 million and started an $20 million restoration of the old Capitol. The currant seating is 2,700.

Brooklyn

1302 Michigian 1913-1939 300 seats

Page 11: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

11

Buchanan AKA: Belle

4036 Buchanan 1923-1941 796 seats Owners: 1925 Brown, Samuel (Booked by Cooperative) 1940 Krim Theatrical Enterprises (Booked by Co-Op)

Burton

Cass & Peterboro September 18th, 2009-May 2011 100 seats This art cinema uses the auditorium of the old Burton elementary school.

Cairns, John C 473 Grand River 1916

Calumet

? 1930

Calvin ? 1930

Cameo

1324 E 7 Mile Road 1939-1949 1,440 seats Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this theatre in 1940.

Campeau 9643 Joseph Campau ? 1935-? 1950 350 seats Owners: 1935-1940 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1945-1950 Schram and Goldberg Theaters

Campman ? 1945 Schram and Goldberg Theaters owned this theatre.

Canfield Avenue AKA: Lira, Lockwood 1527 E Canfield 1908-1918

Capitol AKA: Paramount

1526 Broadway 1922-1929

Capitol AKA: Broadway Capito.

7915 W Venor hwy 1922-1929 920 seats Owners: 1925 Kohn L. Kunsky, Inc. (Co-Op) 1940 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1945 Cohen, Ben & Lou Theatrical Enterprises (Booked by Co-Op) 1950 Detroit Theater Enterprises, Inc.

Capri AKA: East Detroit

1965-? 1970 Adult cinema.

Page 12: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

12

Carlton AKA: Surf, Variety

13125 Fenkill 1932-1955 850 seats Owners: 1935 Schulte, William J. 1940 Schulte’s Theatres 1945 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1950-1955 Mutual Theaters, Inc. (booking agent) * 1932 opened as Carlton * 1955 renamed Surf * Mid 1960's renamed Variety * Late 1960 started to show adult movies * 1975 closed

Carver

1700 Chene 1937-1949 398 seats Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this theatre 1935-1940. It was for the Afro-American theatre. clientele

Casino

4858 E Davison 1930-1949 650 seats

Casino

70 Monroe 1906-1915

Cass 117 Grand River 1911-1923

Castle 3412 Hastings 1915-1939 This Afro-American theatre had 1,000 seats. It was owned by Co-operative Theaters of Michigan in the late 1930’s.

Catherine AKA: Carver

1700 Chene 1913-1937 380 seats * 1913 opened as Catherine. Listed under 1540 or 1700 Chene * 1916 split into 2 auditoriums by George D. Hurlburt (world's first twin theatre ?) * 1937 renamed Carver * 1949 closed

Cent Odeon AKA: Bijou, New Gayety, Cine X

62 Monroe 1906-1908 * 1906 opened as Cent Odeon as a nickelodeon * 1908 renamed Bijou and the auditorium moved down from the second floor. * 1966 renamed New Gayety * 1968 renamed Cine X and switched to adult movies * Mid 1970's closed

Page 13: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

13

Center AKA: Trans-Lux

6540 Woodward 1934-1961 700 seats * 1932 opened as Trans-Lux and designed by Thomas W. Lamb, his only theatre in Detroit. This theatre was promoted as having "daylight projection" (a form of rear projection) * 1934 the "Daylight Projection" was removed for a standard projection booth. * 1940-1945 Owner: Associated Theatres, Inc * 1961 renamed Center * 1975 closed and demolished

Center AKA: Regent

7314 Woodward 1961-1974 * Late 1910's opened as Regent * 1920 owner: C. H. Miles * 1925 owner: Charles Miles Amusement Co. * 1930 owned by Co-operative Theaters of Michigan * 1945-1950 Community Theaters (booked by co-op) owned it * 1953 renovated * 1955 owned by Mutual Theaters, Inc. (booking agent) * 1959 closed * 1961 opened as Center * 1971 renovated * 1974 closed * 1975 demolished

Central AKA: Grand Circus

2115 Woodward 1921-1924 * 1913 opened as Grand Circus * 1921 renamed Central * 1924 closed. The State is later built on the site.

Century AKA: La Salle Garden

6511 14th st 1930-1954 1,499 seats

Chalmers AKA: Chandler

1403 Harper 1928-1934 * 1928 opened as Chalmers * 1934 renamed Chandler * Late 1940's closed

Chandler AKA: Chalmers

1403 Harper 1934-? 1950 450 seats

Page 14: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

14

Charles

? 1935 400 seats

Charlevoix ? 1955

Chopin

7320 Michigan 1922-? 1945 400 seats Chargot Theaters owned this theatre in 1945.

Cine X AKA: Cent Odeon

62 Monroe 1968-? 1975 * 1906 opened as Cent Odeon as a nickelodeon * 1908 renamed Bijou and the auditorium moved down from the second floor. * 1966 renamed New Gayety * 1968 renamed Cine X and switched to adult movies * Mid 1970's closed

Cinema AKA: Gem Art, Drury Lane, Europa

58 E Columbia 1936-1958 457 seats Mutual Theaters, Inc. (booking agent) owned this theatre in 1955. * 1928 opened as the Little Theatre at 58 E. Columbia, for an private wonens group called the 20th Century Club. * 1932 renamed Rivoli * 1930's Drury Lane and Europa * 1936 renamed Cinema * 1959 renamed Vanguard and present stage shows * Mid 1960's switched to adult as the theatre is renamed Gem Art * 1978 closed * 1991 restored and reopened as Gem for live stage performances. * 1997 the theatre is moved about a half mile away to 333 Madison. it weighs in at 2,500 tons. * 1998 reopened at its new location.

Page 15: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

15

Cinderella

13305 E Jefferson 1924-? 1975 1,769 seats In 1950 the movie "Cinderella" opened and the side walls of the theatre were decorated with scenes from the movie. Owners: 1925 Cinderella Theater Corp. 1935 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1940-1961 United Detroit (Publix)

Circle AKA: Dunbar

2814 Hastings 1912-1927 * 1912 opened as Circle, an Jewish theatre. * 1921 renamed Yiddish * 1927 renamed Dumbar and shown movies * 1936 closed

Civic 12327 Kelly 1941-1984 * 1941 opened (sometimes known as Detroit Civic) * 1980 taken over by Eric and Ervin Steiner * 1981 3 cinemas * 1984 closed and converted into retail space.

Clairmont 9026 12th 1928-1929

Clay AKA: Apollo

1150 Clay 1912-1934 * 1912 opened as Clay * 1925 owner: William Schulte * 1934 renamed Apollo * 1945 owner: Co-operative Theaters of Michigan * 1949 closed

Clairmont 9026 12th 1928-1929

Page 16: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

16

Clark Park 454 Dix 1911 400 seats

Clay AKA: Apollo

1150 Clay 1912-1934 * 1912 opened as Clay * 1925 owner: William Schulte * 1934 renamed Apollo * 1945 owner: Co-operative Theaters of Michigan * 1949 closed

Coliseum 4321 Greenwood 1916-1928 Cohen, Ben & Lou Theatrical Enterprises (Booked by Co-Op) owned this theatre in 1925.

Colonial AKA: My-Orleans

1812 Gratiot 1912-1917

Colonial 2615 Woodward

1917-? 1975 1,488 seats Owners: 1925-1930 Cohen, Ben & Lou Theatrical Enterprises (Booked by Co-Op) 1940-1969 Midwest Theaters, Inc. (Co-op)

Colony 16535 Mack 1928-? 1945 595 seats Owners: 1940 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1945 Mutual Theaters, Inc. (booking agent)

Columbia AKA: Lincoln

4647 Michigan 1909-1912

Columbia

50 Monroe 1911-1956 900 seats Owners: 1920 J. H. Kinsky, Inc. 1925 Kohn L. Kunsky, Inc. (Co-Op) 1930 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1950 Korman Theaters Afro-American theatre. theatre.

Columbus AKA: Watson

1042 Watson 1914-1923

Page 17: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

17

Comique

? 1925 Geo. F. Koppin and Sam Brown Partnership owned this theatre.

Conant

12027 Conant 1929-1954 937 seats

Congress 1392 Congress 1915-1917

Conrad Martin 1370 Fort 1916

Cooley 10218 Fenkill 1932-1935 487 seats

Coronet

? 1955

Corunna

? 1975 Community Theaters (booked by co-op) owned this theatre.

Courtesy 6041 W Venor hwy 1915-1951 595 seats Owners: 1945 Broder Theaters 1950 Mutual Theaters, Inc. (booking agent)

Cozy 1042 Michigan 1915-1934 384 seats

Cpoley

? 1935

Crane AKA: Arthur

8730 Harper ? 1930-? 1945 394 seats

Crescent 7736 W Fort 1914-? 1945

Crown

? 1925 Homestead Theater Co. owned this theatre.

Page 18: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

18

Crystal 4730 Michigan 1938-1956 568 seats Owners: 1940-1945 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1950 Korman Theaters 1955 Mutual Theaters, Inc. (booking agent)

D & G AKA: Ila – Dix

4035 W Venor hwy 1917-1925 * 1914 opened as Ila * 1917 renamed D & G * 1925 renamed Dix * 1956 closed

Dale

? 1945-? 1955

Davison

? 1935-? 1945 329 seats

Dawn 8342 Gratiot 1916-1958 894 seats Kilbridge-Hiller Theaters owned this theatre 1945-1955.

Del

8935 Mack 1916-1963 1,076 seats Owners: 1930-1955 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1945 DeLodder, Fred (co-op)

Delray

8022 W Jeffreson ? 1940-? 1955 600 seats Owners: 1945-1950 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1955 Clark Theater Service

DeLuxe 9355 Kercheval 1918-1958 1,490 seats Owners: 1920 J. H. Kinsky, Inc. 1925 Cinderella Theater Corp. 1930-1958 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan

DeSoto

Oakland Av. ? 1935 570 seats

Detroit Arena 500 Warren 1916

Page 19: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

19

Detroit Film Center 5200 Woodward 1927-2007 1,150 seats

Detroit Film Center 1347 E. Fisher 2007-

Detroit Science Center IMAX LARGE FORMAT 5020 John R- 1978-

Dexter

11618 Dexter 1926-1964 1,228 seats Herman Cohen, who in later years owned the Fox theatre worked here. Owners: 1930-1935 Brown, Samuel (Booked by Cooperative) 1950 Detroit Consolidated Theaters, Inc. 1955 Mutual Theaters, Inc. (booking agent) 1961-1964 Detroit Consolidated Theaters, Inc.

Dix AKA: Ila, D & G, Dix

4035 W Venor hwy 1925-1956 390 seats * 1914 opened as Ila * 1917 renamed D & G * 1925 renamed Dix * 1956 closed

Dixie

1921-1923

Downtown AKA: Oriental

120 W Adams 1930-1950 2,680 seats Owners: 1930-1935 Radio-Keith-Orpheum 1945 Telenews Theaters 1950 Balaban, Harry, Theatres * Late 1927 opened as Oriental * 1930 taken over by RKO and renamed Downtown * 1933 the management refused an Afro-American couple to sit on the main floor. The theatre was ordered to pay $300 in damages. * 1950 closed * 1953 demolished for a parking lot.

Downtown AKA: United Artists

140 Bagley 1972-1974

Page 20: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

20

Dox AKA: Astro, Studio

13325 Livernois 1932-1969 396 seats * 1932 opened as Dox * 1951 renamed Studio * 1969 renamed Astro * 1969 closed

Dreamland

7510 Oakland 1911-1914

Dreamland AKA: NE, Oakland

7510 Oakland 1917-1922

Drury Lane AIA: Europa, Cinema

58 E Columbia 1935 * 1928 opened as the Little Theatre at 58 E. Columbia, for an private women’s group called the 20th Century Club. * 1932 renamed Rivoli * 1930's Drury Lane and Europa * 1936 renamed Cinema * 1959 renamed Vanguard and present stage shows * Mid 1960's switched to adult as the theatre is renamed Gem Art * 1978 closed * 1991 restored and reopened as Gem for live stage performances. * 1997 the theatre is moved about a half mile away to 333 Madison. it weighs in at 2,500 tons. * 1998 reopened at its new location.

Drury Lane 1534 Woodward 1916-1922

Duchess AKA: Band Box

2647 Grand River 1914-1917

Dudley AKA: Vaudette, V

674 Gratiot 1916-1917, 1918-1921

Duke

10000 8 Mile 1947-1953 Wisper-Wetman Theaters (Co-Op) owned this theatre.

Dunbar AKA: Circle

2814 Hastings 1927-1936

Page 21: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

21

Duplex 2 3075 E Grand Blvd 1915-1922 1,500 seats This was the one of the oldest twin theatre. The National and Crown opened in the same building in New York in 1913 and the Mall (twin) opened in Cleveland in 1912.

Eagle AKA: Caniff

2026 Caniff 1922-1927

East End 11510 E Jefferson- 1926-1955 990 seats Owners: 1930-1955 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1945 DeLodder, Fred (co-op)

East End 11514 E Jefferson 1911-1925

Page 22: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

22

East Side 2717 Gratiot 1910-1955 This Afro-American theatre had 650 seats. Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this theatre in 1930.

Eastown

8041 Harper 1931-1967 2,500 seats * 1930 opened by Wisper-Wetman Theaters (Co-Op) * 1967 closed * 1969-1973 Alice Cooper, the Doors, Pink Floyd, Jefferson Airplane, Bob Seger, Jethro Tull and the Grateful Dead played here. * 1973 the city of Detroit forced it to close down for failing to meet health and safety codes * 1975 reopened as a jazz venue and closed * 1980 reopened as an adult cinema named Showcase * 1984 closed * Mid-Late 1990's used for raves * 2006 listed at loopnet for $2.5 Million. http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite/Listing/Profile/Profile.aspx?LID=14066934&Branding=LoopNet&PopupView=

Echo 9000 Oakland ? 1930-? 1950 600 seats Schram and Goldberg Theaters owned this Afro-American theatre. theatre 1945-1950.

Elite 8525 Gratiot ? 1945-? 1950 870 seats

Elizabeth 2986 Franklin 1913-1925

Embassy 1480 Woodward 1927-1930

Page 23: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

23

Empire 1251 Woodward 1910-1923

Empress

? 1920 J. H. Kunsky, Inc. owned this theatre.

Englewood AKA: Villa

11562 Oakland 1917-1923

Enterprise ? 1930-? 1935 330 seats

Europa AKA: Rivoli, Drury Lane, Cinema, Vangard, Gem Art, Gem

58 E Columbia 1935-1936 * 1928 opened as the Little Theatre at 58 E. Columbia, for an private wonens group called the 20th Century Club. * 1932 renamed Rivoli * 1930's Drury Lane and Europa * 1936 renamed Cinema * 1959 renamed Vanguard and present stage shows * Mid 1960's switched to adult as the theatre is renamed Gem Art * 1978 closed * 1991 restored and reopened as Gem for live stage performances. * 1997 the theatre is moved about a half mile away to 333 Madison. it weighs in at 2,500 tons. * 1998 reopened at its new location.

Fairmont

10226 E Warren 1921-1926

Fairy 1495 Gratiot 1916

Page 24: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

24

Family AKA: Follies

1 Cadillac Sq 1930-? 1965 880 seats * 1909 opened as Family * 1914 started to show movies * 1960's switched to adult movies and renamed Follies * July 26, 1973 during the showing of "Deep Throat" the theatre caught on fire, as the patrons fled the theatre they stopped at the box-office wanting their $5.00 back! * 1973-1974 demolished

Farfield

? 1940

Farnum ? 1925-? 1969 Owners: 1930-1955 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1969 Community Theaters (booked by co-op)

Fenkell

3711 Fenkill 1925-1951 690 seats Owners: 1930-1935 Brown, Samuel (Booked by Cooperative) 1940-1950 Wisper-Wetman Theaters (Co-Op)

Ferndale 7913 Ferndale 1921-1928

Ferndale AKA: Capitol

7915 W Venor hwy 1919-1932 G. H. Schnckert ? owned this theatre in 1925.

Ferry Park 7331 Grand River 1914-1916

Ferryfield AKA: Bacon

6541 Grand River 1916-1934 1,325 seats * 1916 opened as Ferry Field with 1,325 seats * 1925 Charles Miles Amusement Co. owned this theatre. * 1934 renamed Beacon * 1937 closed

Page 25: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

25

Fine Arts AKA: Addison

2954 Woodward 1915-1980 550 seats * 1914 opened as Addison * 1915 renamed Fine Arts * 1940-1950 owner: Co-operative Theaters of Michigan * 1980 closed * 1990's used as a concert hall * 1998 the city of Detroit closed it down * 2006 reopened as a concert hall.

Page 26: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

26

Fisher 2nd/W Grand 1928-1960 2,715 seats * 1928 opened * Early 1930's owned by United Detroit (Publix) * By the 1950's the stage shows are gone * 1956 the Wurlitzer is moved to the Senate * 1960 closed as a cinema. * 1961 reopened as a live theatre for touring Broadway productions.

Page 27: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

27

Flamingo 14720 E. 7 Mile 1925-1952 840 seats Owners: 1930-1950 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1945 DeLodder, Fred (co-op)

Fleur-De-Lys 10775 W Jeffreson 1922-1926

Florence AKA: Your

3748 E Forest 1913-1914 * 1913 opened as Florence * 1914 renamed Your * Early 1950's closed

Follies 1 Cadillac Sq ? 1969-1973 See Family listing for more details for this theatre. Adult movies were shown.

Forest 4635 Woodward 1914-? 1950 569 seats Midwest Theaters, Inc. (Co-op) owned this theatre 1940-1950. It was for an Afro-American clientele.

Page 28: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

28

Fox 2211 Woodward http://www.olympiaentertainment.com/venues/foxtheatre.jsp 1922- 5,045 seats Wikipedia article: Fox Theatre (2211 Woodward Ave. Detroit, MI 48201-3467) near Grand Circus Park in downtown Detroit, Michigan is a National Historic Landmark from the Roaring Twenties located within the Detroit Theatre District. With 5045 seats, it is the second largest theater in the country after the Radio City Music Hall in New York City. The Detroit Fox is the first and the largest of the Fox Theaters. Built in 1928 for William Fox, founder of 20th Century Fox, it was the first movie palace to have live sound. The architect, C. Howard Crane, designed a lavish interior blend of Burmese, Chinese, Indian and Persian motifs. There are three levels of seating, the Main Floor above the orchestra pit, the Mezzanine, and the Gallery (balcony). The exterior of the 10-story building features an Art Deco facade, which at night is illuminated and can be seen for several blocks. In 1988 the theater was cleaned and fully restored by its owners Mike and Marian Ilitch. The area of downtown Detroit which encompasses Fox Theatre is named Foxtown after the theater, and is bounded by Greektown to the east and Campus Martius to the south. In 2000 Comerica Park opened and helped to revitalize the area along with Ford Field in 2002. The Fox is Detroit’s top venue for Broadway shows. Productions The Radio City Christmas Spectacular was an annual favorite from 1997 through 2005. The theatre was host to the WWE Hall of Fame ceremony on March 31, 2007, the night before WrestleMania 23, being held at nearby Ford Field. As well as The Condemned World Primere the night before on March 30, 2007. Other live productions have included Sesame Street Live: Let's Be Friends, David Copperfield, Blue's Clues' Live! as well as show tours, such as Donny Osmond, Irving Berlin's White Christmas, Dora The Explorer! Live, and in April of 2007, Go! Diego! Live! with Liz Coscia, after Sesame Street Live productions, in 1998-2008.

1970’s picture

Page 29: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

29

Page 30: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

30

Franklin AKA: Guild Art

12719 Gratiot 1926-1962 360 seats Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this theatre in 1950. * 1926 opened as Franklin * 1962 renamed Guild and than in a few years renamed Guild Art and started to show adult movies. * 1992 renamed Guild again. * 1990's closed

Fredro Chene st. ? 1935 400 seats

Frontenac AKA: Ace

7206 Harper 1912-1939 834 seats * 1912 opened as Frontenac * 1930 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this theatre. * 1939 renamed Ace * Early 1940's taken over by Wisper-Wetman Theaters (Co-Op) * 1951 closed

Garden AKA: Peek-A-Rama, Sassy Cat

3929 Woodward 1912-1949 600 seats * 1912 opened * 1920 owner: J. H. Kinsky, Inc. * 1925 owner: Geo. F. Koppin and Sam Brown Partnership * 1935 owner: Woodward Theater Company (Booked by Co-Op.) * 1940-1949 owner: Midwest Theaters, Inc. (Co-op) * 1949 closed * 1960's reopened as a adult cinema called Peek-A-Rama and Later the Sassy Cat

Gardens

? 1925 Bert R. Williams owned this theatre.

Page 31: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

31

Garrick ? 1910’s-August 11th,1928 Harry Houdini performed for the last time at this theatre in 1926

Gayety ? 1930-? 1955 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this theatre.

Gaylord

? 1955 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this theatre.

Page 32: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

32

Gem

58 E Columbia 1984-1997 See next listing for more details.

Gem

333 Madison 1997- * 1928 opened as the Little Theatre at 58 E. Columbia, for an private wonens group called the 20th Century Club. * 1932 renamed Rivoli * 1930's Drury Lane and Europa * 1936 renamed Cinema * 1959 renamed Vanguard and present stage shows * Mid 1960's switched to adult as the theatre is renamed Gem Art * 1978 closed * 1991 restored and reopened as Gem for live stage performances. * 1997 the theatre is moved about a half mile away to 333 Madison. It weighs in at 2,500 tons. * 1998 reopened at its new location.

Gem Art 58 E Columbia 1966-1978 Adult cinema.

Gladwin

? 1925 London Brothers owned this theatre.

Gladwin Park AKA: Aladdin, Booth

9636 E Jefferson 1914-1923 * 1914 opened as Gladwin Park * 1923 renamed Aladdin * 1924 closed * 1938 reopened as Booth * 1962 closed

Globe 3520 Grand River 1912-? 1950 812 seats Owners: 1925-1930 Cohen, Ben & Lou Theatrical Enterprises (Booked by Co-Op) 1940-1955 Kilbridge-Hiller Theaters

Gold Coast ? 1955 Korman Theaters owned this theatre.

Page 33: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

33

Granada 5549 W Warren 1927-? 1970 940 seats Owners: 1930 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1935 Krim, Mac & Sol, Theatrical Enterprises 1940 Krim Theatrical Enterprises (Booked by Co-Op) 1950-1955 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan

Grand AKA: Novelty

4151 Grand River 1909

Grand Circus AKA: Central

2115 Woodward 1913-1921 * 1913 opened as Grand Circus * 1921 renamed Central * 1924 closed. The State is later built on the site.

Page 34: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

34

Grand Circus AKA: Capitol

1526 Broadway 1960-1978 * 1922 opened as Capitol with 3,500 seats, the 5th largest theatre in the U. S. at the time. * 1929 renamed Paramount when it was taken over by the Paramount-Publix circuit. * 1932 closed * 1934 reopened as Broadway-Capitol as it is taken over by United Detroit (Publix) * 1940's-1950's different managements. * 1960 back to United Detroit (Publix), which spent over $100,000 in renovations. It also was renamed Grand Circus to show second-run movies. * 1970 the world premiere of the blaxploitation film: "Sweet Sweetbacks Badasss Song" * 1978 stopped showing movies; the last movie was "Jailbait Babysitter" * Early-mid 1980-s used for concert * 1985 closed after a fire. * 1989 the Michigan Opera Theatre buys the Grand Circus and nearby Madison for $3.5 million and started an $20 million restoration of the old Capitol. The current seating is 2,700.

Grand Riveria 9222 Grand River 1925-1969 Munz, Chas. W. Theatrical Enterprises. (Booked by Coop.) owned this theatre in 1930.

Grand Victory Grand River ? 1925-? 1940 919 seats Owners: 1925-1930 Cohen, Ben & Lou Theatrical Enterprises (Booked by Co-Op) 1935 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan

Grande

8024 W Jeffreson 1909-1951 300 seats Owners: 1930-1945 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1950 Community Theaters (booked by co-op)

Page 35: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

35

Grand-Woodward ? 1925-? 1935 Brown, Samuel (Booked by Cooperative) owned this theatre.

Grant 8745 Russell ? 1930-? 1950 This Afro-American theatre had 746 seats. Owners: 1945 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1950 Korman Theaters

Gratiot

2306 Gratiot 1910-1930 Afro-American theatre.

Graystone

7816 Michigan 1930-1953 395 seats Owners: 1935-1940 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1945 Chargot Theaters 1950 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan

Great Lakes AKA: Vest Pocket

14832 Grand River 1927-? 1969 1,705 seats Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this theatre.

Greenwood 5403 Hamilton ? 1930-? 1950 380 seats Schulte’s Theatres owned this theatre 1945-1950.

Page 36: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

36

Guild Art AKA: Franklin

12719 Gratiot 1962-? 1992 * 1926 opened as Franklin * 1962 renamed Guild and than in a few years renamed Guild Art and started to show adult movies. * 1992 renamed Guild again. * 1990's closed

Hamilton 5357 Hamilton 1915-1916

Hancock

4758 Hastings- 1922-1929

Harmony AKA: Admiral

11205 Mack 1921-1941 1,322 seats * 1921 opened as Harmony with 1,325 seats. * 1935 owner: Woodward Theater Company (Booked by Co-Op.) * 1940 owner: Co-operative Theaters of Michigan * 1941 remodelled and renamed Admiral by Associated Theatres, Inc, which sells it in the late 1950's * Late 1970's closed

Harper 4238 Harper 1939-? 1975 2,000 seats * 1939 opened by Wisper-Wetman Theaters (Co-Op) as Harper * Mid 1975 became a concert hall called Harpos

Page 37: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

37

Harper

7723 Harper 1922-1930 Owners: 1925 Joe Cosco 1930 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan

Hastings

? 1955

Hazel Park ? 1930-? 1940 Owners: 1935-1940 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan

Hippodrome W. Warren ? 1925-? 1935 This Afro-American theatre. had 750 seats. It was owned by Frank Wetsam in 1925.

Holbrook

Russell ? 1930-? 1935 This Afro-American theatre. had 764 seats

Page 38: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

38

The Most Distinctive Theatre in U. S.

Hollywood 4809 W Fort 1927-1958 3,435 seats Demolished in 1963 Owners: 1927-1945 Cohen, Ben & Lou Theatrical Enterprises (Booked by Co-Op) 1950-1958 Detroit Theater Enterprises, Inc.

Home 6421 Chene 1912-1963 665 seats Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this theatre 1940-1955

Home 6010 W Venor hwy 1913-1916

Homestead ? 1925 Homestead Theater Co. owned this theatre.

Hoover 19020 W Warren ? 1935-? 1955 325 seats Mutual Theaters, Inc. (booking agent) owned this theatre 1945-1950.

Ideal AKA: President, Montclair

10739 Mack 1928-1939 465 seats * 1914 opened as Montclair * 1928 renamed Ideal * 1939 renamed President * 1948 closed

Page 39: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

39

Ila AKA: D & G,Dix

4035 W Venor hwy 1914-1917 * 1914 opened as Ila * 1917 renamed D & G * 1925 renamed Dix * 1956 closed

Imperial

7300 Michigan 1920-1953 378 seats Owners: 1935 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1945 Chargot Theaters

Imperial AKA: Roosevelt

9515 Gratiot 1929-1930 * 1924 opened as Roosevelt * 1929 renamed Imperial * 1930 renamed back to Roosevelt * 1954 closed

Iris

2314 E Grand Blvd 1916-1954 881 seats Owners: 1925 R. Stubbs 1930-1940 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1945-1955 Associated Theatres, Inc.

Irving

21220 Fenkell 1927-1997 1,025 seats * 1927 opened * 1950-1955 owner: Associated Theatres, Inc * 1970's switched to adult movies * 1997 closed * 2007 demolished

Page 40: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

40

Jefferson 11008 E Jefferson 1914-1949 376 seats Joe Cosco owned this theatre in 1925.

Jewel 1450 Gratiot 1914-1931 300 seats J. Leasia owned this Afro-American theatre. in 1925.

Joy 3435 Joy ? 1945-? 1950 476 seats Mutual Theaters, Inc. (booking agent) owned this theatre.

Junction AKA: Polonia

2608 Junction 1923-1927

Keno AKA: Amsterdam

12240 Grand River 1949-? 1950 * 1924 opened as Amsterdam with 400 seats * 1949 renamed Keno * 1950 closed

King 5317 Chene ? 1940-? 1955 400 seats Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this theatre 1945-1955.

Knickerbocker AKA: Whittier

7237 E Jefferson 1916-1932 * 1916 opened as Knickerbocker * 1932 renamed Whittier * 1957 closed

Koppin

528 Gratiot 1920-1930 Geo. F. Koppin and Sam Brown Partnership owned this Afro-American theatre. in 1925.

Kozloski

5630 Central 1920-1921

Page 41: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

41

Kramer 5741 Michigan 1920-? 1970 1,496 seats Owners: 1930 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1935 Krim, Mac & Sol, Theatrical Enterprises 1940 Krim Theatrical Enterprises (Booked by Co-Op) 1945 Broder Theaters 1950-1964 Korman Theaters

Kum-C 1807 Concord ? 1950 427 seats Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this Afro-American theatre..

Kunsky's

? 1925

La Bell AKA: Pulaski

8576 W Jeffreson 1916-1918

La Salle ? 1925 Geo. F. Koppin and Sam Brown Partnership owned this theatre,

La Salle Gardens AKA: Century

6511 14th st 1920-1930 Owners: 1925 Bert R. Williams 1930 Munz, Chas. W. Theatrical Enterprises. (Booked by Coop.)

Lafayette ? 1940

Lakewood 14243 E Jefferson 1915-1958 1,270 seats Owners: 1935 Woodward Theater Company (Booked by Co-Op.) 1940 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1945-1955 Associated Theatres, Inc

Lansing AKA: Wayne

3523 Gratiot 1928

Page 42: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

42

Lasky 13320 Joseph Campau 1926-1949 998 seats Owners: 1930 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1935 Krim, Mac & Sol, Theatrical Enterprises 1940 Krim Theatrical Enterprises (Booked by Co-Op) 1945-1949 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan

Lester AKA: Peoples, Paramount

2238 Hastings 1910-1916

Liberty 1020 Farmer 1913-1926 J. H. Kunsky, Inc. owned this theatre in 1920.

Library AKA: Europa, Art

8525 Gratiot 1914-? 1945 367 seats

Lincoln AKA: Columbia

4647 Michigan 1913-1919

Lincoln AKA: Lincoln Square

6034 W Fort 1936-1971 1,850 seats Wisper-Wetman Theaters (Co-Op) owned this theatre 1945-1964.

Lincoln Square 6034 W Fort 1918-1936 Cohen, Ben & Lou Theatrical Enterprises (Booked by Co-Op) owned this theatre in 1930.

Linwood-Lasalle 8229 Linwood 1920-1964 1,300 seats This theatre reopened as a Vaudeville theatre in 1971. Owners: 1920 J. H. Kinsky, Inc. 1930-1935 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1940-1964 Wisper-Wetman Theaters (Co-Op)

Lira AKA: Canfield, Lockwood

1527 E Canfield 1919

Little AKA: Arts & Crafts

57 Watson 1916-1917

Page 43: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

43

Little Family AKA: Beecer, bluebird

3205 Baker 1915

Little Theatre AKA: Rivoli

58 E Columbia 1928-1932

Littman AKA: Abington, Goldcoast

8208 12th St 1938-1941 * 1927 opened as Littman-Peoples in 1927 with 1,100 seats. * 1938 known as simply as Littman’s * 1941 closed * 1945 reopened as Abington * 1953 closed * 1956 reopened as Goldcoast * 1958 closed

Littman-Peoples 8208 12th St 1927-1938

Lockwood AKA: Lira

1527 E Canfield 1919-1924

Loop 418 Michigan 1928-1956 500 seats Owners: 1930 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1940-1945 Associated Theatres, Inc 1950-1955 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan

Loyal Alvin 13803 Grand River 1926-1940

Page 44: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

44

Ludowy AKA: Royal, Rex, Ludowy

4711 Michigan 1917-1923

Lyceum

Randolph 1901

Lyric ? 1930-? 1955

Mack Uptown 14407 Mack 1928-1959 1,500 seats Owners: 1935 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1940-1955 Wisper-Wetman Theaters (Co-Op) * 1926 opened as Mack Uptown * 1959 renamed Uptown * 1963 closed

Madison

22 Witherell 1917-1984 1,806 seats * 1917 opened by the Kunsky circuit whose offices were on the top floor of the building. * 1940's sold to United Detroit (Publix) * 1961 remodelled. * Late 1970's the Madison has started to decline as it shows second-rate movies and the occasional rock concert. * 1984 closed

Page 45: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

45

Majestic

4136 Woodward 1915-1951 1,260 seats This theatre reopened in 1987 as a concert hall. Owners: 1920 C. H. Miles 1940-1951 Midwest Theaters, Inc. (Co-op)

Majestic

1449 Woodward 1908-1913

Manhattan ? 1925 Homestead Theater Co. owned this theatre.

Market

2589 Michigan 1910-1916

Mars 19100 Conant 1947-1958 Owners: 1950 Mutual Theaters, Inc. (booking agent) 1955 Clark Theater Service

Maxine 7641 Mack 1914-1952 960 seats Owners: 1930-1940Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1945 DeLodder, Fred (co-op) 1950-1952 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan

Page 46: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

46

Mayfair AKA: Bonstelle, Detroit Civic theatre

3424 Woodward 1925-1951 1,200 seats * 1902 opens as Temple Beth-El, which was the largest synagogue in Detroit * 1925 renamed Bonstelle playhouse * 1928 renamed Detroit Civic Theatre * 1933 rename Mayfair and switched to movies. * 1951 became a live theatre again. * It is now a live theatre owned by the Wayne State University.

Medbury

? 1930-? 1945

Mercury 16860 Schaeffer 1941-1985 2,000 seats * 1941 opened Co-operative Theaters of Michigan which sold it in 1959 * 1959 the Mercury was the first theatre outside of Downtown to show 70mm with Porgy and Bess. * 1985 twinned into 2 600-seat cinemas and renamed Metro Mercury I & II and started to show second-run movies. * 1992 closed * 1997 demolished

Merrick 5138 3rd Av 1915-1928

Met AKA: Time

13321 E Jefferson 1950-? 1954

Metro Mercury 2 AKA: Mercury

16860 Schaeffer 1985-1992

Metropolitan 1659 Fort 1915-1918

Page 47: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

47

Michigan 238 Bagley 1926-1970 4,038 seats * 1926 opened by the Kunsky circuit with 4,038 seats at a cost of $5 million. * 1933 United Detroit (Publix) took it over * Late 1930's switched to movies only. * 1952 the marquee is replaced * 1954 a wide screen was installed damaging the proscenium arch. * 1967 closed and reopened by Nicholas George * 1973 converted into a nightclub called the Michigan Palace * 1976 closed for the last time and converted into a parking garage, which was seen in the movies "8 mile" and "The Island".

Page 48: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

48

Midtown AKA: Studio Midtown

711 W Canfield 1941-1962 876 seats * 1941 opened as Midtown * 1962 renamed Studio Midtown * 1963 renamed Midtown Art * End of 1964 renamed Midtown Follies and switched to adult movies. * 1970's closed

Midtown Art AKA: Midtown Follies

711 W Canfield 1963-1964

Midtown Follies AKA: Midtown

711 W Canfield 1964-? 1970 Adult cinema.

Midway

? 1940-? 1945 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this theatre.

Miles 1220 Griswold 1910-1927 Owners: 1920 C. H. Miles 1925-1927 Charles Miles Amusement Co.

Mirth 7327 E Jefferson 1906-1916

Model 3301 Michigan ? 1950 504 seats Mutual Theaters, Inc. (booking agent)owned this theatre.

Monarch 5507 Michigan 1909-1917

Monroe

204 Monroe ? 1935-? 1950 This Afro-American theatre had 280 seats

Page 49: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

49

Montclair AKA: Ideal, President

10739 Mack 1914-1928 * 1914 opened as Montclair * 1928 renamed Ideal * 1939 renamed President * 1948 closed

Moran 5467 moran ? 1945-? 1950 Mutual Theaters, Inc. (booking agent) owned this theatre, which had 346 seats.

Mt. Clemens ? 1930

Mt. Elliott 6041 Mt. Elliott 1912-1929 Jaffe Brothers owned this theatre in 1925.

Music Hall 350 Madison 1953-1970 (as cinema) * 1928 opened as Wilson as a playhouse with some movies shown. * 1945 the Detroit Symphony buys it and renamed it the Music Hall * 1949 the orchestra vacated the theatre and it closed * 1953 reopened with Cinerama by Stanley Warner Cinerama Corp., the second in the world, and the most popular Cinerama theatre. * 1964 70mm is installed * 1965 closed * 1966 reopened as a second-run theatre. * 1970 closed * 1973 the Kresge Foundation buys the Music Hall and renames it Music Hall Center for the Performing arts. * 1970's restored.

My AKA: Colonial, Orleans

1812 Gratiot 1918-1920

Page 50: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

50

Myrtle 3515 17th 1913-1950 753 seats

National AKA: Palace

118 Monroe 1911-? 1970 800 seats * 1911 opened as National. For a time it was an Afro-American theatre. * 1945 owner: Mutual Theaters, Inc. (booking agent) * 1950-1964 owned by Korman Theaters * 1960's renamed Palace and switched to adult movies. * 1975 closed

Palace, National and Liberty Theatres

Neumann Bros. AKA: Ritz

6661 Michigan 1916-1921

Page 51: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

51

New

? 1940

New Art ? 1935

New Bijou ? 1930-? 1945 Schram and Goldberg Theaters owned this theatre in 1945.

New Center Cinema ? 1975 Community Theaters (booked by co-op) owned this theatre.

New Columbia

? 1945

New Gayety AKA: Bijou, Cent Odeon, Cine X

62 Monroe 1966-1968 * 1906 opened as Cent Odeon as a nickelodeon * 1908 renamed Bijou and the auditorium moved down from the second floor. * 1966 renamed New Gayety * 1968 renamed Cine X and switched to adult movies * Mid 1970's closed

New Plaza ? 1930

Northeastern AKA: Dreamland

7510 Oakland 1915-1916

Nortown

7736 E 7 Mile Road 1936-? 1970 998 seats United Detroit (Publix) owned this theatre 1936-1961.

Norwest

17630 Grand River 1936-2000 1,336 seats * 1936 opened as Norwest by United Detroit (Publix). * Early 1960’s United Detroit (Publix) sells it * 1978 closed as a first-run theatre. * 1979 reopened as a discount theatre * 1980's split into 2 cinemas with a total of 1,100 seats * 2000 closed * 2004 demolished for a fast-food restaurant.

Page 52: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

52

Norwood 6533 Woodward 1915-1949 536 seats Owners: 1935 Woodward Theater Company (Booked by Co-Op.) 1940 Cohen, Ben & Lou Theatrical Enterprises (Booked by Co-Op) 1945-1949 Telenews Theaters

Novelty AKA: Grand

4151 Grand River 1911-1913

Oakland

636 Oakland 1916

Oakland AKA: dreamland

7510 Oakland 1924-1928 William Schulte owned this theatre.

Oakman

12728 Woodrow Wilson 1919-1937 1,213 seats

Oakman Boulevard ? 1930

Odeon

Concord Av. ? 1925-? 1945 426 seats Jaffe Brothers owned this theatre in 1925.

Olive AKA: Vaudette

674 Gratiot 1922

Oliver 1928-1949 456 seats Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this theatre in 1930.

Olympic

? 1925

Orient AKA: Oriole

8450 Linwood 1927

Page 53: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

53

Oriental AKA: Downtown

120 W Adams 1927-1930 * Late 1927 opened as Oriental * 1930 taken over by RKO and renamed Downtown * 1933 the management refused an Afro-American couple to sit on the main floor. The theatre was ordered to pay $300 in damages. * 1950 closed * 1953 demolished for a parking lot.

Oriole AKA: Orient

8450 Linwood 1927-1951 1,400 seats Owners: 1935 Brown, Samuel (Booked by Cooperative) 1940-1951 Wisper-Wetman Theaters (Co-Op)

Orleans AKA: My

1812 Gratiot 1920-1921

Orpheum 8945 Mack 1911-1915

Our AKA: Pastime

8767 Kercheval 1915-1922

Pal Movie 1411 Riopelle 1922

Page 54: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

54

Palace AKA: National

118 Monroe 1970-1975 * 1911 opened as National * 1960's renamed Palace and switched to adult movies. * 1975 closed

The Palace is on the left of this picture.

Palace

130 Monroe 1914-1928 Bert R. Williams owned this theatre in 1925.

Palace No. 2 14th St. ? 1930-? 1945 397 seats Munz, Chas. W. Theatrical Enterprises. (Booked by Coop.) owned this theatre in 1930.

Palm State AKA: Palms, State

2111 Woodward 1937-1949 United Detroit (Publix) owned this theatre.

Palms 2111 Woodward 1949-1983 2,967 seats Owners: 1950-1969 United Detroit (Publix) 1975-1980 Plitt Theatres

Pandora AKA: Summit

300 W Lafayette 1971-1977

Paradise AKA: Town

3711 Woodward 1941-? 1950 * 1919 opened as the Detroit Symphony Orchestra Hall * 1939 the DSO was forced to leave the hall and perform at the Masonic Temple, Music Hall and the Ford Auditorium * 1941 the hall was converted to a live Afro-American theatre called the Paradise. BIlly Holiday, Duke Ellington and Count Basie performed here. * 1951 closed * 1950's renamed Town and show movies * 1960 closed * 1970 there was plans to demolish the theatre but it was saved. * 1989 the DSO returns to the hall after 50 years. * 2003 an expansion was completed and it is now part of the Max. M. Fisher Music Center.

Page 55: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

55

Paramount AKA: Peoples

2238 Hastings 1927-1928

Paramount AKA: B'way-Cap

1526 Broadway 1929-1932 * 1922 opened as Capitol with 3,500 seats, the 5th largest theatre in the U. S. at the time. * 1929 renamed Paramount when it was taken over by the Paramount-Publix circuit. * 1932 closed * 1934 reopened as Broadway-Capitol as it is taken over by United Detroit (Publix) * 1940's-1950's different managements. * 1960 back to United Detroit (Publix), which spent over $100,000 in renovations. It also was renamed Grand Circus to show second-run movies. * 1970 the world premiere of the blaxploitation film: "Sweet Sweetbacks Badasss Song" * 1978 stopped showing movies; the last movie was "Jailbait Babysitter" * Early-mid 1980-s used for concert * 1985 closed after a fire. * 1989 the Michigan Opera Theatre buys the Grand Circus and nearby Madison for $3.5 million and started an $20 million restoration of the old Capitol. The current seating is 2,700.

Park

2125 Woodward 1911-1916

Park

2626 E Davison 1921-1949 676 seats Owners: 1925 J. Kazinski 1935 Krim, Mac & Sol, Theatrical Enterprises 1940 Krim Theatrical Enterprises (Booked by Co-Op)

Park Side 12950 E Warren 1940-1959 864 seats Mutual Theaters, Inc. (booking agent) owned this theatre in 1955.

Parkview ? 1925 Cinderella Theater Corp. owned this theatre.

Pasadena 9232 Mack ? 1930-? 1950 386 seats

Pastime AKA: Our

8767 Kercheval 1909-1914

Peek-A-Rama 3929 Woodward ? 1970 * 1912 opened * 1949 closed * 1960's reopened as a adult cinema called Peek-A-Rama and Later the Sassy Cat

Peoples AKA: Lester – Paramount

2238 Hastings 1918-1927

Perrein 4738 Chene ? 1935-? 1955 350 seats

Petite AKA: Novelty

4151 Grand River 1914-1916

Page 56: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

56

Phoenix 10 AKA: Bel Air 10

10100 E 8 Mile 2001- Phoenix Theatres owned this theatre, which was owned by American Multi-Cinemas.

Piccadilly 4014 Livernois 1925-1951 800 seats Owners: 1935 Woodward Theater Company (Booked by Co-Op.) 1940-1951 Wisper-Wetman Theaters (Co-Op)

Plaza 11641 E Jefferson 1913-1954 750 seats Owners: 1940 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1945 DeLodder, Fred (co-op) 1950 Associated Theatres, Inc

Plaza AKA: Telenews, Big Star

1540 Woodward 1969-1991

Polonia AKA: Junction

2608 Junction 1922

President AKA: Ideal, Montclair

10739 Mack 1939-1948 420 seats * 1914 opened as Montclair * 1928 renamed Ideal * 1939 renamed President * 1945-1948 owner: Associated Theatres, Inc * 1948 closed

Page 57: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

57

Princess

520 Woodward 1908-1922

Priscilla 2946 Mt. Elliott ? 1930-? 1955 This Afro-American theatre. had 475 seats

Pulaski AKA: La Bell, Pulaski

8576 W Jeffreson 1915, 1923-1925

Quo Vadis? 13559 E Canfield 1913-1930

Rainbo 9217 Grand River 1939-1950 262 seats Broder Theaters owned this theatre 1945-1950.

Ramona

13705 Gratiot 1929-1977 2,020 seats

Page 58: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

58

Redford

17354 Lahser 1928- 2,000 seats * 1928 opened, it is built to look like a Japanese outdoor garden theatre by the Kunsky circuit * 1931 sold to Community Theatres * 1941-42 Japanese decor covered over * 1974 taken over by the American Theatre Organ Society In later years this theatre has installed new historically accurate seats (expensive!)

Redford 21722 Grand River 1927

Regal 1767 Deguinore ? 1940-? 1950 426 seats Owners: 1940 United Detroit (Publix) 1945 Mutual Theaters, Inc. (booking agent)

Regent AKA: Center

7314 Woodward ? 1920-? 1955 1,440 seats * Late 1910's opened as Regent * 1920 owner: C. H. Miles * 1925 owner: Charles Miles Amusement Co. * 1930 owned by Co-operative Theaters of Michigan * 1945-1950 Community Theaters (booked by co-op) owned it * 1953 renovated * 1955 owned by Mutual Theaters, Inc. (booking agent) * 1959 closed * 1961 opened as Center * 1971 renovated * 1974 closed * 1975 demolished

Page 59: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

59

Renaissance Cinemas AKA: Riverfront Cinemas, Rencon 4

Renaissance Center Tower 200 3rd floor 1978-2001 Opened with 3 screens and a 4th screen added in 1979. This was to be reopened as a cinema grill in 2004 but James Duffy was unable to complete it.

RenCen 4 AKA: Riverfront Cinemas, Rencon 4

Renaissance Center Tower 200 3rd floor 2008- This is owned Uptown Entertainment.

Republic

? 1925-? 1935 Owners: 1925 Brown, Samuel (Booked by Cooperative) 1935 Woodward Theater Company (Booked by Co-Op.)

Rex 6756 W. Jefferson 1915-1916

Rex AKA: Royal

4711 Michigan 1927

Rhythm

? 1940

Rialto 6345 Gratiot ? 1925-? 1955 1,326 seats Owners: 1925 J. C. Ritter 1935-1955 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan

Rio 7714 W Venor hwy 1935-1960 1,400 seats Owners: 1940-1945 Cohen, Ben & Lou Theatrical Enterprises (Booked by Co-Op) 1950-1955 Detroit Theater Enterprises, Inc.

Ritz AKA: Newmann Bros.

6661 Michigan 1922-1926 London Brothers owned this theatre.

Page 60: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

60

Riverfront Cinemas 4 AKA: Renaissance Center Cinemas, Rencon 4

Renaissance Center Tower 200 3rd floor 2005-2008

Riveria Annex ? 1930 Munz, Chas. W. Theatrical Enterprises. (Booked by Coop.) owned this theatre.

Rivola 4703 Cadillac 1922-1957 1,000 seats Owners: 1925 J. C. Ritter 1945-1957 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan

Rivoli 8225 Mack 1923-1928

Rivoli AKA: Drury Lane, Europa, Vanguard, Cinema, Gem Art

58 E Columbia 1932-1934 * 1928 opened as the Little Theatre at 58 E. Columbia, for an private women’s group called the 20th Century Club. * 1932 renamed Rivoli * 1930's Drury Lane and Europa * 1936 renamed Cinema * 1959 renamed Vanguard and present stage shows * Mid 1960's switched to adult as the theatre is renamed Gem Art * 1978 closed * 1991 restored and reopened as Gem for live stage performances. * 1997 the theatre is moved about a half mile away to 333 Madison. it weighs in at 2,500 tons. * 1998 reopened at its new location.

Rogers 3646 W Warren ? 1940-? 1955 This Afro-American theatre had 700 seats and it was owned by Co-operative Theaters of Michigan in 1950-1955.

Roosevelt AKA: Imperial

9515 Gratiot 1925-1954 1,771 seats * 1924 opened as Roosevelt * 1929 renamed Imperial * 1930 renamed back to Roosevelt * 1935 owner: Co-operative Theaters of Michigan * 1940-1954 owner: Wisper-Wetman Theaters (Co-Op) * 1954 closed

Rosebud 429 Gratiot 1915-1930 This owned this theatre was owned by Geo. F. Koppin and Sam Brown Partnership in 1925.

Rosedale 11520 Woodward 1915-1954 965 seats United Detroit (Publix) owned this theatre 1940-1954.

Rouge ? 1945 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this theatre.

Page 61: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

61

Roxy 2745 Woodward 1932-1972 1,200 seats Owners: 1935 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1940-1945 Cohen, Ben & Lou Theatrical Enterprises (Booked by Co-Op) 1950-1955 Detroit Theater Enterprises, Inc.

Royal 10709 W 7 Mile 1940-1969 2,410 seats Owners: 1945 United Detroit (Publix) 1950 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1961-1969 Wisper-Wetman Theaters (Co-Op)

Royal AKA: Ludowy, Rex, Ludowy

4711 Michigan 1924

Royale AKA: Star

100 Monroe 1908-1922

Page 62: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

62

Rupert 713 St. Aubin ? 1940-? 1950 This Afro-American theatre. had 480 seats.

Russell 5335 Russell 1917-1949 1,406 seats Afro-American theatre.

Sassy Cat AKA: Garden, Peek-A-Rama

3929 Woodward ? 1970 * 1912 opened as Garden * 1949 closed * 1960's reopened as an adult cinema called Peek-A-Rama and Later the Sassy Cat

Savoy 1515 Chene ? 1935-? 1950 365 seats Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this theatre in 1935.

Senate

6424 Michigan 1926-1958 1,200 seats Owners: 1926-1945 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1950 Korman Theaters 1955 Mutual Theaters, Inc. (booking agent) This theatre is sometimes used for concerts.

Seville AKA: Sun, Vendome

4481 Grand River 1941-1958 731 seats * 1911 opened as Vendome * 1932 closed * 1935 reopened as Sun * 1937 closed * 1941 reopened as Seville by Broder Theaters * 1955 owner: Mutual Theaters, Inc. (booking agent) * 1958 closed

Sheridan 7414 Kercheval 1914-1954 324 seats

Page 63: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

63

Shores 1945-? 1955 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this theatre 1945-1950.

Showcase AKA: Eastown

8041 Harper 1980-1984 * 1930 opened by Wisper-Wetman Theaters (Co-Op) * 1967 closed * 1969-1973 Alice Cooper, the Doors, Pink Floyd, Jefferson Airplane, Bob Seger, Jethro Tull and the Grateful Dead played here. * 1973 the city of Detroit forced it to close down for failing to meet health and safety codes * 1975 reopened as a jazz venue and closed * 1980 reopened as an adult cinema named Showcase * 1984 closed * Mid-Late 1990's used for raves * 2006 listed at loopnet for $2.5 Million. http://www.loopnet.com/xNet/MainSite/Listing/Profile/Profile.aspx?LID=14066934&Branding=LoopNet&PopupView=

Shubert Detroit

? 1930

Six-Mile Uptown ? 1955 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this theatre.

Stanley 15701 W Warren 1930-? 1950 600 seats

Star AKA: White Star

9237 Joseph Campau 1937-1949 350 seats * 1915 opened as White Star * 1937 renamed Star * 1949 closed

Star

2836 Michigian 1911-1922

Star AKA: Royale

100 Monroe 1907-1908

Page 64: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

64

State

2121 Woodward ? 1925 3,000 seats Concert hall that show movies on some Monday nights.

Stone

2511 Woodward ? 1945-? 1950 250 seats Afro-American theatre.. In later years it became an adult entertainment center.

Strand 4730 Grand River 1915-1958 1,287 seats Owners: 1925 Kohn L. Kunsky, Inc. (Co-Op) 1930-1935 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1945-1958 Kilbridge-Hiller Theaters

Page 65: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

65

Stratford

4651 W Venor hwy 1916-? 1990 1,137 seats Owners: 1925 Joe Cosco 1930-1940 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1985 Wisper-Wetman Theaters (Co-Op)

Studio AKA: Dox, Astro

13325 Livernois 1951-1969 * 1932 opened as Dox * 1951 renamed Studio * 1969 renamed Astro * 1969 closed

Studio Midtown AKA: Midtown

711 W Canfield 1962-1963

Studio New Center 3rd/W Grand 1966-? 1970

Summit AKA: Cass

300 W Lafayette 1927-1971 * 1927 opened as a playhouse called Cass * 1965 renamed Summit and shown some Cinerama movies * 1967-8 Cinerama is dropped and switched to adult movies * 1971 closed

Page 66: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

66

Sun AKA: Vendome, Seville

4481 Grand River 1911-1932 * 1911 opened as Vendome * 1932 closed * 1935 reopened as Sun * 1937 closed * 1941 reopened as Seville * 1958 closed

Surf AKA: Variety

13125 Fenkill 1955-1965 * 1932 opened as Carlton * 1955 renamed Surf * Mid 1960's renamed Variety * Late 1960 started to show adult movies * 1975 closed

Tedro 5325 Chene 1922

Telenews AKA: Plaza

1540 Woodward 1942-1969 465 seats Telenews Theaters owned this theatre in 1955-1961.

Page 67: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

67

Temple

? 1930 750 seats Radio-Keith-Orpheum owned this theatre.

Theatorium ? 1930-? 1945 386 seats

Theatre Comique 1249 Broadway 1921-1928 J. H. Kunsky, Inc. owned this theatre.

Time AKA: Met

13321 E Jefferson 1940-? 1950 678 seats Broder Theaters owned this theatre 1945-1950.

Times Square 443 Abbott 1929-1958 900 seats Owners: 1930 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1945 Broder Theaters 1950 Korman Theaters 1955 Mutual Theaters, Inc. (booking agent)

Tower 12813 Grand River 1935-1964 1,442 seats Owners: 1935 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1940-1955 Wisper-Wetman Theaters (Co-Op)

Page 68: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

68

Town AKA: Paradise

3711 Woodward 1919-? 1941 * 1919 opened as the Detroit Symphony Orchestra Hall * 1939 the DSO was forced to leave the hall and perform at the Masonic Temple, Music Hall and the Ford Auditorium * 1941 the hall was converted to an live Afro-American theatre called the Paradise. BIlly Holiday, Duke Ellington and Count Basie performed here. * 1951 closed * 1950's renamed Town and show movies * 1960 closed * 1970 there was plans to demolish the theatre but it was saved. * 1989 the DSO returns to the hall after 50 years. * 2003 an expansion was completed and it is now part of the Max. M. Fisher Music Center.

Trans-Lux AKA: Center

6540 Woodward 1932-1934 * 1932 opened as Trans-Lux and designed by Thomas W. Lamb, his only theatre in Detroit. This theatre was promoted as having "daylight projection" (a form of rear projection) * 1934 the "Daylight Projection" was removed for a standard projection booth. * 1961 renamed Center (there is another theatre a few blocks away called center.) * 1975 closed and demolished

Triumph

7825 Gratiot 1921-1928

Page 69: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

69

United Artists 140 Bagley 1928-? 1971 2,024 seats * 1928 opened as United Artists * 1939 shown "Gone with the Wind" on a reserved-seat basis. * 1940's taken over by United Detroit (Publix) * 1950 taken over by United Artists Theatre Circuit * 1953 CinemaScope installed * 1950's-1960's roadshow movies such as Ben-Hur, My Fair Lady etc. where shown here. * Early 1960's renovated with the removal of the 10-story marquee and replaced with an smaller marquee * Late 1960's adult movies are shown * 1971 closed * 1972 reopened as Downtown * 1974 closed as a cinema * Late 1970's the Detroit Symphony used it as a recording hall * Mid 1980's the office building that housed the theatre is closed * 1989 brickwork damaged some parked cars.

Universal 831 Michigan 1915-1930

Uptown

14407 Mack 1926-1963 * 1926 opened as Mack Uptown * 1959 renamed Uptown * 1963 closed

Van Dyke 6625 Van Dyke 1940-1955 570 seats Midwest Theaters, Inc. (Co-op) owned this theatre in 1950.

Variety AKA: Carlton, Surf

13125 Fenkill 1965-1973 * 1932 opened as Carlton * 1955 renamed Surf * 1965 renamed Variety * Late 1960 started to show adult movies * 1975 closed

Page 70: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

70

Varsity 1721 Livernois 1936-1960 United Detroit (Publix) owned this theatre, which had 1,496 seats.

Vaudette AKA: Dudley

674 Gratiot 1909-1910, 1918, 1921-1922

Vendome AKA: Sun, Seville

4481 Grand River 1911-1932 * 1911 opened as Vendome * 1932 closed * 1935 reopened as Sun * 1937 closed * 1941 reopened as Seville * 1958 closed

Vest Pocket AKA: Great Lakes

14832 Grand River 1969-1972

Viager

? 1935 350 seats

Victor 77 Victor 1916-1928

Victory 8225 Grand River ? 1945-? 1955 789 seats Owners: 1945 Chargot Theaters 1950-1955 Detroit Theater Enterprises, Inc.

Victory ? 1925

Villa AKA: Englewood, Villa

11562 Oakland 1914-1916, 1923

Virginia

8237 Hamilton ? 1940-? 1950 480 seats Schulte’s Theatres owned this theatre 1945-1950.

Virginia Park 8237 Hamilton ? 1930-? 1935 485 seats

Page 71: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

71

Vogue 16926 Harper 1937-1977 1,460 seats United Detroit (Publix) owned this theatre 1937-1961

Warfield

5126 Hastings 1914-1949 1,200 seats Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this theatre 1935-1945.

Warren 16900 W Warren ? 1945-? 1969 1,500 seats Wisper-Wetman Theaters (Co-Op) owned this theatre.

Washington 1505 Washington blvd 1913-1928 Fox owned this theatre.

Watson AKA: Columbus

1042 Watson 1912

Wayne AKA: Lansing, Wayne

3523 Gratiot 1916-1927, 1928-1929

West End 6864 W Warren ? 1930-? 1950 800 seats

Page 72: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

72

Westown 15225 Wyoming 1936-1964 Wisper-Wetman Theaters (Co-Op) owned this theatre, which had 1,700 seats.

White Star 9237 Joseph Campau 1915-1937 * 1915 opened as White Star * 1935 owner: Woodward Theater Company (Booked by Co-Op.) * 1937 renamed Star * 1949 closed

Whittier AKA: Knickerbocker 7237 E Jefferson 1932-1957 900 seats * 1916 opened as Knickerbocker * 1932 renamed Whittier * 1940-1945 owner: Co-operative Theaters of Michigan * 1950 owner: Community Theaters (booked by co-op) * 1957 closed

Willis 4190 Hastings ? 1930-? 1955 480 seats Clark Theater Service owned this Afro-American theatre. in 1955.

Wilson AKA: Music Hall

350 Madison 1928-1945 1,900 seats

Wolverine Michigan ? 1930-? 1940 504 seats

Wonderland ? 1900

Woodward 1018 Woodward 1914-1927 798 seats

Woodward No 1 ? 1925 G. H. Schnckert ? owned this theatre.

Page 73: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

73

Woodward No 2 ? 1925 G. H. Schnckert ? owned this theatre.

World AKA: Cinema – Vanguard

58 E Columbia 1958-1959

Yeddish

2184 Hastings 1921-1927

Your AKA: Florence

3748 E Forest 1914-? 1950 798 seats * 1913 opened as Florence * 1914 renamed Your * 1930-1940 owner: Co-operative Theaters of Michigan * 1945 owner: DeLodder, Fred (co-op) * 1950 owner: Co-operative Theaters of Michigan * Early 1950's closed

Zellah ? 1930-? 1940

Page 74: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

74

GROSSE POINT

Esquire 15327 E Jefferson 1938-1988 997 seats * 1938 opened by Wisper-Wetman Theaters (Co-Op) * 1980 taken over by P & R theatre co. and switched to second-run movies * Early 1980's 14 video games are installed in the lobby, which caused the city to limit than to 5 in the lobby. * 1982 the adult film "Debbie Does Dallas" is screened * 1983 theatre is bought by Eric and Ervin Steiner and splits it into 4 cinemas * 1988 the city takes it over and closed it after it was a magnet for illegal activities. * 1990 demolished

Okulski Family Theatre 15115 E. Jefferson 2010-

GROSSE POINTE FARMS Kercheval ? 1950-? 1955

Punch and Judy

21 Kercheval 1930-1978 740 seats * 1930 opened with 740 seats * 1977 closed as a cinema, it was almost purchased by a church, but it was turned down by zoning laws. Later in the year there were plans to convert it into a live theatre, but the city threatened to cancel the concert due to supposed safety code violations and made the owners sign an "anti-smut" agreement in early 1978. * 1978 reopened as a repertory cinema, but the city banned lines of 50 or more persons. * 1988 closed and converted into offices.

Page 75: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

75

GROSSE POINTE PARK Aloma AKA: Grosse Pointe Park

15003 Charlevoix 1930-1955

Grosse Pointe Park AKA: Aloma

15003 Charlevoix 1923-1930 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this theatre in 1930.

Page 76: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

76

GROSSE POINTE WOODS Woods 19269 Mack 1948-1998 * 1948 opened by United Detroit (Publix) * 1969 taken over by a partnership of Plitt Theatres and Nicholas George and renovated into a twin cinema, seating: 1,200 in the main auditorium and 750 upstairs * 1981 the balcony is split into 2 cinemas of 335 and 320 * 1983 the main auditorium is split into 3 cinemas of 590, 312 and 305 seats, 5 screens at this point * Mid 1980's the former exhibition hall was converted into a 62-seat cinema, one of the smallest in the Detroit area. * 1986 American Multi-Cinemas takes it over and renames it Woods 6 * 1997 closed * 2002 demolished

Page 77: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

77

HAMTRACK

Campeau AKA: Martha Washington

10315 Joseph Campau 1970

Caniff AKA: Eagle, Poland

2026 Caniff 1922-1929 * 1912 opened as Eagle * 1921 renamed Poland * 1922 renamed Caniff * 1929 closed

Conant 12027 Conant 1929-1954 937 seats Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned this theatre.

Eagle AKA: Caniff, Poland

2026 Caniff 1912-1921

Farnum

? 1950-? 1955 700 seats

Lasky

? 1950

Martha Washington AKA: Campau

10315 Joseph Campau 1924-1970 * 1924 opened as Martha Washington * 1935-1955 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan owned it * Late 1960’s Community Theaters (booked by co-op) takes it over * 1970 renamed Campau and closed shortly after.

Pastime

? 1940-? 1945

Poland AKA: Caniff, Eagle

2026 Caniff 1921

Star AKA: White Star

9237 Joseph Campau 1937-1949

White Star AKA: Star

9237 Joseph Campau 1915-1937

Page 78: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

78

HARPER WOODS Beacon East 4 19305 Venier ? 1990-2006 National Amusements owned this theatre 1990-1998

Beacon East Cinemas 1 & 2 19305 Venier 1973-? 1985 National Amusements owned this theatre.

East Side Drive-In AKA: Drive-In

19440 Harper May 26, 1938-1977 970 cars Owners: 1938-1945 Smith, Philip, Theatrical Enterprises (booked by Mutual) 1950-1955 Smith Management Co. 1961-1964 General Drive-In Corporation 1969-1977 General Cinemas This was the first drive-in in Michigan.

Page 79: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

79

Eastland 2 18000 Venier 1969-2000 * 1969 opened by Suburban Detroit with a single cinema of 1,200 seats * 1975 twinned into Eastland 1 & 2 with one cinema able to screen 70mm movies. * 1985 sold to American Multi-Cinemas and added 5 more screens in the mall, called Eastland 3-7 * 1987 the Eastland 3-7 was renamed Eastland Mall 5 * 2000 closed * 2001 demolished for a Lowes.

Eastland 5 AKA: Eastland 3-7

19340 Venier, in the mall 1985-2000

HIGHLAND PARK Ambassador AKA: Art, Temple

17730 John R 1924-1945

Art AKA: Ambassador, Temple

17730 John R 1961-? 1970 Adult cinema.

Belmont

13721 Woodward 1934-? 1955

Grand AKA: Woodward Grand

15 W Grand 1953-1958 910 seats

Highland Park AKA: Paris

13843 Woodward 1915-1969 1,600 seats Owners: 1935 Woodward Theater Company (Booked by Co-Op.) 1940 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1945 Associated Theatres, Inc 1950 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan

Hiland Park AKA: Paris

13843 Woodward 1970-? 1985 Adult cinema.

Page 80: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

80

Krim AKA: Trans-Lux

16531 Woodward 1941-? 1985 Trans-Lux owned this theatre 1961-1969

Liberty School ? 1940

Metropolitan 13271 Woodward ? 1950-? 1955 470 seats

Palmer Park 17013 Hamilton 1937-? 1969 1,202 seats Midwest Theaters, Inc. (Co-op) owned this theatre 1955-1969.

Paris AKA: Hiland

13843 Woodward 1967-1970 * 1915 opened as Highland * 1967 switched to adult movies and renamed Paris * 1968 the Highland Park police department raided the theatre for showing the adult film "Of the Same Gender" https://www.fastcase.com/Google/Start.aspx?C=a4fdbb87dfeea88d79801ac3b8507955d7e428d103b18506&D=4ad318e414fc08b5809ac2f097c57cd03dd6a277ba0d9726 * 1968 renamed Hiland * 1980's Wayne County Prosecutors fought to have the theatre shut down, claiming it was being used for a front for prostitution.

Six Mile AKA: Uptown

16501 Woodward 1959-1980

Six Mile Uptown 16501 Woodward 1954-1959

Temple 17730 John R 1945-1961 * 1924 opened as Ambassador * 1945 renamed Temple * 1961 renamed Art * 1970's adult movies

Tuxedo 11738 Hamilton 1921-1958 1,700 seats Owners: 1930 Munz, Chas. W. Theatrical Enterprises. (Booked by Coop.) 1935 Co-operative Theaters of Michigan 1940-1950 Wisper-Wetman Theaters (Co-Op) Adult movies were shown here.

Page 81: Detroit Movie Theatresmovie-theatre.org/usa/mi/detroit/MI Detroit City.pdf · Detroit Movie Theatres Includes Inner Wayne County towns 12/26/2011. WAYNE COUNTY DETROIT Abington

81

Uptown

16501 Woodward 1927-1954 1,922 seats * 1927 opened as RKO Uptown * 1954 renamed Six Mile Uptown * 1959 renamed Six Mile * Early 1970's adult movies are shown. * 1980 closed

Woodward Grand 15 W Grand 1924-1949