DECLARATION OF CONFORMITY
Manufacturers Name: DigiTechManufacturers Address: 8760 S. Sandy Parkway Sandy, Utah 84070, U.S.A.
declares that the product:
Product name: EX 7 Product option: all (requires Class II power adapter that conforms to the requirements of EN60065, EN60742, or equivalent.)
conforms to the following Product Specifications:
Safety IEC 60065 (1998) EMC EN 55013 (2001 + A1) EN 55020 (1998)
The product herewith complies with the requirements of the Low Voltage Directive 73/23/EEC and the EMC Directive 89/336/EEC as amended by Directive 93/68/EEC. Vice-President of Engineering - MI 8760 S. Sandy Parkway Sandy, Utah 84070, U.S.A. Date: December 27, 2004
European Contact: Your local DigiTech Sales and Service Office or
Harman Music Group 8760 South Sandy Parkway Sandy, Utah, 84070 U.S.A. Ph: (801) 566-8800 Fax: (801) 568-7583
WarningFor your protection, please read the following:
Important Safety Instructions
1. Read these instructions. 2. Keep these instructions. 3. Heed all warnings. 4. Do not use this apparatus near water. 5. Clean only with dry cloth. 6. Do not block any ventilation openings. Install in ac-
cordance with the manufacturers instructions. 7. Do not install near any heat sources such as radiators,
heat registers, stoves, or other apparatus (including amplifiers) that produce heat.
8. Protect the power cord from being walked on or pinched particularly at plugs, convenience receptacles, and the point where they exit from the apparatus.
9. Unplug this apparatus during lightning storms or when unused for long periods of time.
10. No user serviceable parts inside. Refer all servicing to qualified service personnel. Servicing is required when the apparatus has been damaged in any way, such as power-supply cord or plug is damaged, liquid has been spilled or objects have fallen into the apparatus, the apparatus has been exposed to rain or moisture, does not operate normally, or has been dropped.
11. WARNING: To reduce the risk of fire or electric shock, do not expose this apparatus to rain or moisture.
12. Refer to labels on the unit, including bottom cover, or other markings and pertinent information.
Congratulations and special thanks from DigiTech for choosing the Expression FactoryTM Pedal.When you want to express emotion with your guitar, two hands are great, but two hands and a foot are better. Years ago, pioneering musicians and engineers developed technology that let your foot alter and enhance your guitars tone while your fingers are busy playing the notes. These pedals were so revolutionary, theyve endured and evolved through the years: the wah pedal, the flanger, the rotary speaker, the pitch bender, the chorus, and the volume swell. These pedals placed guitarists feet on the path to the future of modern music.The DigiTech Expression Factory captures seven of the most versatile and dramatic pedal-controlled effects in guitar equipment history: the Vox Clyde McCoy WahTM* and the Dunlop Cry BabyTM Wah*, the Leslie 147 Rotary Speaker*, the A/DATM Flanger*, the Unicord Uni-VibeTM*, the DigiTech XP300 Space StationTM Synth SwellTM*, and the DigiTech Whammy*. The Expression Factory lets you walk in the shoes of many mighty guitarists before you, who discovered that with one foot on the stage or the studio floor, and the other foot on an expression pedal, the journey through exciting and dramatic guitar tones will never end.
* DigiTech, X-Series, CIT, Flexible Output Mode, DOD, Whammy, Space Station, Synth Swell, Metal Master, Expression Factory, Johnson Amplification, and Distortion Factory are trademarks of Harman International Industries, Inc. Other product names modeled in this product are trademarks of their respective companies that do not endorse and are not associated or affiliated with DigiTech. They are trademarks of other manu-facturers and were used merely to identify products whose sounds were reviewed in the creation of this product.
The DigiTech Expression FactoryTM Pedal includes the following items:
DigiTech Expression Factory Pedal
PS0913B Power Supply
This Owners Manual
DigiTech Warranty Card
Please make sure that all of these items have been included before you get started.
Follow these setup directions before use:
1. Turn the volume down on the amplifier/mixer you are connecting to.
2. Connect the pedal output to the amplifier/mixer input.
3. Connect the guitar to the pedal input.
4. Connect the power supply to the pedal.
5. Turn up your amplifier/mixer level to your desired listening level.
6. Turn on the Effect Model by pressing the TOE SWITCH (or turn on the Effect + Distortion Model by pressing the HEEL SWITCH).
The Expression FactoryTM Features at a Glance
The Expression FactoryTM has seven Effect Models that you can select (one at a time) and control with your foot by using the Expression Pedal. You can also modify each Effect Models tone and behavior with three knobs.
The Expression Factory also has seven selectable Distortion Models that can only be used (one at a time) in conjunction with any Effect Model. You can modify each Distortion Model with three knobs.
The Expression Factory has six Cabinet Models (based on the cabinets of popular amplifiers) which are associated with the seven Distortion Models.
The Expression Factory can also be used as a volume pedal.
The Expression FactoryTM outputs can be configured in one of four Out-put Modes:
1. Mono Mode Outputs a mono signal through either the OUT 1 (AMP) jack or the OUT 2 (MIXER) jack.
2. Stereo Mixer Mode Outputs a stereo signal through both the OUT 1 (AMP) and OUT 2 (MIXER) jacks, suitable for connecting to a mixer or recording device.
3. Stereo Amp Mode Outputs a stereo signal through both the OUT 1 (AMP) and OUT 2 (MIXER) jacks, suitable for connecting to an ampli-fier.
4. Amp + Mixer Mode Outputs a mono signal through the OUT 1 (AMP) jack suitable for connecting to an amplifier, and also outputs a mono signal through the OUT 2 (MIXER) jack, suitable for connecting to a mixer or recording device.
When the Expression Factory is shipped from the factory, the default modes are Mono Mode and Stereo Mixer Mode. Refer to the Flexible Output ModeTM Setup section of this manual for more information.
1. OUT 1 (AMP)* Connect this output jack to your guitar amplifier. Refer to the Flex-ible Output ModeTM Setup sec-tion for more information.
2. OUT 2 (MIXER)* This output has been specifically tailored for use with a full range audio system and is designed to be plugged directly into a mixer or recording device for optimal per-formance. Refer to the Flexible Output Mode Setup section for more information.
3. (Tip) - CONTROL 1 Model dependent. Refer to the Ef-fect Model Control table for more information.
(Ring) - DIST LEVEL Controls distortion level.
* Use only unbalanced TS instrument cables.
4. INDICATOR LED This LED indicates the status of the selected Model or the current Mode: OFF=bypass, GREEN=Effect Model on, RED=Effect Model and Distortion Model on, FLASHING YELLOW=Distoriton Model Select mode.
5. (Tip) - CONTROL 2 Model dependent. Refer to the Ef-fect Model Control table for more information.
(Ring) - DIST TONE Controls distortion tone.
6. POWER SUPPLY JACK Connect only the included PS0913B (9V AC) power supply to this jack. Note that the Expression FactoryTM is not equipped for battery power.
7. (Tip) - CONTROL 3 Model dependent. Refer to the Ef-
fect Model Control table for more information.
(Ring) - DIST GAIN Controls distortion gain.
8. MODEL This knob selects one of the seven different Effect Models:
1. Dunlop Cry BabyTM Wah 2. Vintage Vox Clyde McCoy TM
Wah 3. DigiTech XP300 Space StationTM Synth SwellTM 4. DigiTech Whammy 5. Unicord Uni-VibeTM 6. Leslie 147 Rotary Speaker 7. A/DATM Flanger
Refer to the Model Descriptions section for detailed explanations of each models controls.
9. INPUT Connect your instrument to this jack.
10. FOOTSWITCH Plug in the optional FS3X footswitch here. Refer to the Using the Optional FS3X Footswitch section to see what the FS3X can do with the Expres-sion FactoryTM.
11. EXPRESSION PEDAL Serves as a variable control for each of the Effect Models. Also used for engaging the HEEL and TOE SWITCHES, which enable the selected Effect Models and Distor-tion Models. (Refer to the Effect Model Control table for more information about the EXPRES-SION PEDAL.)
To enable the HEEL or TOE SWITCHES, press firmly on the heel or toe of the EXPRESSION PEDAL. The INDICATOR LED will change color when the HEEL or TOE SWITCH is engaged.
If the EXPRESSION PEDALs range becomes diminished over time, it may be necessary to re-cali-brate the pedal. Refer to the Calibrating the Expression Ped-al section for more information.
Selecting and Enabling an Effect Model
1. Use the MODEL KNOB to select an Effect Model. (Refer to the Ef-fect Model Control table for a list of Effect Models.)
2. Rock the pedal forward and press firmly on the TOE SWITCH. The INDICATOR LED lights green to show that the Effect Model is enabled.
3. To bypass the Effect Model, rock the pedal forward and press firmly on the TOE SWITCH. The INDICATOR LED turns off to show that the Effect Model is bypassed.
MODEL 1. Dunlop Cry BabyTM As the Wah pedal increased in popularity, slight