Advantage Healthcare Children and Young People Brochure
Text of Children and Young People Brochure
1. Children and Young PeopleAdvantage Healthcare is a specialist provider of complex care servicesto children and young people www.advantagehealthcare.com
2. Every child mattersTo us, to you, to them.Advantage Healthcare recognises that every child matters to us, to you and to them. Our aim is to achieve positiveoutcomes for every child in our care. We have a proven wealth of experience and knowledge in planning anddelivering the supply of services to children and young people on a national level.The Department of Health states that there are approximately 23,500 children and young people in the UKdiagnosed with life limiting and complex health conditions. In addition to this, medical advances in paediatric carehave resulted in an increase in the number of children needing long term medical and nursing care. These childrenare dependent on complex technological devices such as mechanical ventilation, tracheostomies and artificialfeeding. Most technologically dependent children live at home with parents as their main carers.Advantage Healthcare is currently working with over 150 children throughout the UKwho have needs ranging from social care to complex clinical requirements. Currentpackages of care we provide include the following conditions*; Chronic Lung Disease Undiagnosed Neurological Conditions Multi Limb Motor Disorder Severe Microcephaly Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia Adrenoleukodystrophy Congenital Central Hypoventilation Syndrome Neonatal Encephalopathy Sleep Apnoea Brain Injury Cerebral Palsy Epilepsy*This list is not exhaustive
3. These packages of care are delivered by Childrens Nurses or highly skilled Healthcare Assistants under a carefullysupervised training and task delegation process. Our specialist team implement and manage the complex careneeds of each child providing bespoke, specialised training and ongoing supervision to all of our workers.We acknowledge the rights of children and young people and the fundamental role that parents, carers and familiesplay in helping children and young people achieve their full potential.Be HealthyOur duty to children and young people is to support them to make healthy lifestyle choices. We recognise thatchildren need to be emotionally and mentally healthy and to have a stable and safe home environment thatsupports their healthy lifestyles.Stay SafeWe recognise the importance of stability and a safe environment and understand that we have a responsibility tosafeguard and promote the welfare of every child that we support.We provide our staff with annual adult and child safeguarding training along with annual health and safety updates.Enjoy and AchieveWe encourage the children whom we support to achieve personal goals and social development. AdvantageHealthcare employees are actively involved in encouraging social recreation and participation in cultural activitiesas well as promoting learning outcomes from social and educational environments.Make a Positive ContributionWe encourage all of the children and young people we support to understand that they have the ability to enrichthe lives of others. We promote positive behaviour and help children and their families successfully deal withsignificant changes and challenges.Achieve Economic Well BeingThrough specialised training and regular peer group meetings where colleagues share information and inspirationalideas, our workers help service users envisage a positive future for themselves and their families. Our aim is toensure the provision of a continuity of care for all children we support. 0800 526 031 www.advantagehealthcare.com
4. Our ModelLayers of SupportOur model, outlined below, supports the Every Child Matters child reforms. We partner with healthcareprofessionals and Local Authority staff to ensure a safe and sustainable service is delivered to all children withinour care.
5. Quality assurance andOutcomesBy being part of the wider Multidisciplinary team, each stage of the process is assessed, planned, risk managed andsupported by our team of experts, which include;Complex Care SpecialistsOur Complex Care Specialists support our branch network in the implementation of complex care packages ensuringthat the needs of the individual service users and their families are met. They provide advice and support to ensurethe provision of bespoke specialised training and ongoing supervision of delegated tasks, where relevant.Clinical Nurse SpecialistsOur Clinical Nurse Specialists are a dedicated team of qualified professionals who offer clinical support andguidance to the Care Team. The Clinical Nurse Specialists experience and qualifications cover a wide range ofclinical specialities. Our team includes a number of Specialist Childrens Nurses.Quality and Development ManagersOur Quality and Development Managers ensure we only supply the highest quality staff through rigorous internalquality assurance systems that are continually reviewed and monitored. All of our workers are compliant with theCare Quality Commission (CQC), Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW) and Social Care and SocialWork Inspectorate Scotland (SCSWIS).Our service is flexible to allow personalisation and greater control by the child or young person and their family,with a strong focus on delivering a consistent and continuous provision of care.Through peer group meetings, supervision and specialised training, we will continually develop workers knowledgein order to give staff the skills necessary to maximise personal development whilst minimising risks for all children. 0800 526 031 0800 526 031 www.advantagehealthcare.com www.advantagehealthcare.com
6. OurImplementation Plan RequirementsAssessment Individual, holistic assessment to be completed by a Specialist Childrens Nurse. Clinical needs, staff and training requirements to be identified. Relevant care plans and risk assessments to be completed and agreed with family.InitialStaffingRequirements Identify a Team Leader and/or Specialist Childrens Nurse. 5 x Registered Nurses and 5 x skilled Healthcare Assistants with suitable qualifications, skills and experience.OngoingStaffing Ongoing recruitment plans to be in place with the local team, identifying and introducing new team members to the chRequirements potential staff absence and annual leave.Mandatory Training All staff must have undertaken and successfully completed the following training which is a mandatory requirement: Pa Handling and Paediatric BLS), First Aid, Medication Awareness, Infection Control (inc.COSHH and RIDDOR), Health and S Fire Safety, Lone Working, Risk Incident Reporting and Safeguarding (inc. SOVA/POCA).Specialist Training An Advantage Healthcare Registered Nurse will carry out an in-depth clinical assessment of needs, and from this, identi are competent to undertake the clinical procedures and have a comprehensive understanding of the service users cond Tracheostomy Care (inc. Tracheostomy change, planned and emergency), Ventilation, Suctioning, Epilepsy (including se Endoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG).Task Delegation & Specialist Prior to carrying out any clinical procedures, Carers will be assessed as competent by a Registered Childrens Nurse andPractical TrainingSupervision Ongoing supervision to be provided to HCAs to monitor competency levels, thus ensuring that safe parameters are upheIntegration of Staff Following the training and supervision sessions, Nurses will confirm the competency of the highly skilled Healthcare Ass trained and confident to care.24 hour contact details Inform healthcare professionals, service users and their families of our out-of-hours service, including details of our clin