Buckingham Palace. Popularly known as "Buck House", has served as the Monarch's permanent London residence since the accession of Queen Victoria. It began

  • Published on
    19-Jan-2016

  • View
    215

  • Download
    0

Embed Size (px)

Transcript

<ul><li><p>Buckingham Palace </p></li><li><p>Buckingham Palace Popularly known as "Buck House", has served as the Monarch's permanent London residence since the accession of Queen Victoria. It began its days in 1702 as the Duke of Buckingham's city residence, built on the site of a notorious brothel, and was sold by the Dukes son to George III in 1762. The building was refurbished by Nash in the late 1820s for the Prince Regent, and again by Aston Webb in time for George V`s coronation in 1913. It is the largest private house in London - it has more than 660 rooms. The palace is actually back-to-front: the side you look at from the Mall is the back of the building. </p></li><li><p>Trafalgar Square Each year people from all parts of London congregate there on December 31st to celebrate the New Year. Four majestic bronze lions, each 20 feet long and 11 feet tall guard the base of Nelsons column and the church of St Martin-in-the-Fields, with its lunchtime concerts, dating from 1721 makes it popular destination for tourists. </p></li><li><p>Trafalgar Square Here the statue of Admiral Lord Nelson dominates the square from 167 feet above it. Built to commemorate his naval victory in 1805 it is the focal point of this magnificent area. Trafalgar Square was laid out in 1830 and is a popular venue for political rallies and used to be home to thousands of pigeons. The Mayor of Londons recent ruling banning pigeon food sellers is designed to purge this patch of London of a health hazard. The pigeons dont seem to realize theyre not welcome and you still find tourists feeding them and taking photos with them. </p></li><li><p>Trafalgar Square</p></li><li><p>Trafalgar SquareThe Neoclassical National Gallery filled up the northern side of the square in 1838, followed shortly afterwards by the squares central focal point, Nelsons Column; the famous bronze lions didnt arrive until 1868, and the fountains didnt take their present shape until the eve of World War II. </p></li><li><p>Westminster AbbeyLegend has it that the first church on the site was consecrated by St Peter himself, who came down from heaven and was rowed across the Thames by a fisherman named Edric, who received a giant salmon as a reward.</p></li><li><p>Westminster AbbeyMore verifiable is that there was a small Benedictine monastery here by the end of the tenth century, for which Edward the Confessor built an enormous church. Nothing much remains of Edward's church, which was consecrated on December 28, 1065, just ten days before his own death, though the ground plan is his, as is the crypt.</p></li></ul>