CRAIGIE AITCHISON (1926-2009)1. Garden at Tulliallan, circa 1958-63 oil on canvas9 x 6 inchesProvenanceGifted from the artist to the present owner
2. Dove & Candle, 1977oil on canvas11 3/4 x 16 inches
MAURICE BRIANCHON (1899-1979)3. Nature morte aux penses, 1964oil on canvas8 5/8 x 6 1/4 inches
4. Plage Normande, 1938 oil on canvas18 1/4 x 25 5/8 inchesProvenance Richard Heyd, Neuchtel Private collection, LondonLiterature Richard Heyd, Brianchon, ides et Caledes, Neuchtel, 1954, no.35 Brianchon & Daulte, Maurice Brianchon. Catalogue de loeuvre peint, La Biliotheque des Arts, 2008, p.114, no.168
5. Villas et Tentes watercolour9 x 12 1/4 inches
EDGAR DEGAS (1834-1917)6. Danseuse se frottant le genou (or Etude pour danseuse en arlequin),1939bronze, stamped with the signature Degas (Lugt 658), numbered and stamped with the foundry mark 39/O CIRE PERDUE A.A.HBRARD (on the top of the base)height: 11 3/8 inchesThis bronze cast between 1919 and 1937, in an edition of 20 numbered A-T, plus two casts reserved for the Degas heirs and the founder Hbrard.
ProvenanceGalerie Blanche, StockholmHans Mott, Liding (Sweden) by the early 1950sPrivate collection, Switzerland, by descent from the above in 1986LiteratureJ. Rewald, Degas Sculpture, The Complete Works, London 1957, no. XLVIII (another cast illustrated pl. 62).F. Russoli and F, Minervino, Lopera completa di Degas, Milan, 1970, p. 141, no. S27 (another cast illustrated p. 142)C.W. Millard, The Sculpture of Edgar Degas, Princeton, 1976 (another cast illustrated pl. 76).J. Rewald, The complete sculptures of Degas, London, 1976, no. 27, p. 12 (another cast illustrated p. 46).A. Pingeot & F. Horvat, Degas Sculpture, Paris, 1991, p. 165, no. 27 (another cast illustrated, pp. 142-143 & 165)S. Campbell, Degas, The Sculptures, A Catalogue Raisonn, Apollo, vol. CXLII, no. 402, August 1995, pp. 29-30, no. 39 (another cast illustrated p.29). M. Guillard, Degas, Form and space, Paris 1984, no. 36 (aother cast illustrated fig. 161).J.S. Czestochowski & A. Pingeot, Degas, Sculptures, Catalogue Raisonn of the Bronzes, Memphis, 2002, no. 39, p. 197 (another cast illustrated pp. 196 & 197).
7. Danseuse, Grande Arabesque, premier temps bronze, stamped with signature and foundry mark, AA Hbrard cire perdue, numbered 18/HER.Dheight: 19 1/4 inchesThis bronze cast between 1919 and 1937, in an edition of 20 numbered A-T, plus two casts reserved for the Degas heirs and the founder Hbrard. This cast reserved for the Degas heirsProvenanceGalerie de LElyse, Paris, 1962Private Collection, USA (acquired from the above) and thence by descentExhibitedLondon, Browse & Darby, Edgar Degas (1834-1917), Bronzes, May June 1999, no 6.
LiteratureJ. Rewald, Degas Sculpture, The Complete Works, New York, 1956, no. 35S. Campbell, Degas, The Sculptures, A Catalogue Raisonne in Apollo, vol. CXLII, Aug 1995, no. 18 J. S. Czestochowski & A. Pingeot, Degas Sculptures, Catalogue raisonn of the Bronzes, Memphis, 2002, no.18 (another cast ill. pp. 156-157) RAOUL DUFY (1877-1953)8. Le Vase aux Anmones, 1937 gouache and watercolour signed Raoul Dufy lower left 24 x 19 inches Provenance Private Collection, USA LUCIAN FREUD (1922-2011)9. Girl Sitting, 1987 etching, signed and dated in pencil, edition of 50 27 x 32 1/4 inches (sheet) 10. Blond Girl, 1985 etching, signed with initials, edition of 50 34 3/8 x 28 inches (sheet)
11. Head and Shoulders of a Girl,1990 etching signed with initials, edition of 50 30 3/4 x 24 3/4 inches (sheet) ARMAND GUILLAUMIN (1841-1927)12. Le Puy Barriou, Paysage de la Creuse, circa 1910 pastel on paper, signed Guillaumin 18 5/16 x 24 1/2 inchesProvenance Madame Rousso, Paris, FR Eardley Knollys, April 1954 for 120 Literature To be included in the Comit Guillaumins (Dominique Fabiani, Jacques de La Braudire and Stphanie Chardeau-Botteri) forthcoming second volume of the catalogue raisonn.
AUGUSTUS JOHN (1878-1961)13. Portrait of a young woman, circa 1910-13charcoal on paper, signed and inscribed to Dr Jerome Martin/Ziegler/192314 x 10 inches ProvenanceThe Artist, gifted to Dr Jerome Ziegler Thence by descent to the previous ownerLiteratureMartin Birnbaum, The Last Romantic, The Story of More Than a Half Century in the World of Art, (Twayne, 1960) GWEN JOHN (1876-1939)14.Hatted woman in church gouache and watercolour2 7/8 x 2 1/8 inchesProvenancePrivate Collection, South Africa
15. Hatted women in church I gouache and watercolour2 7/8 x 2 1/8 inchesProvenancePrivate Collection, South Africa
16. Hatted women in church II gouache and watercolour2 7/8 x 2 1/8 inchesProvenancePrivate Collection, South Africa 17. Flowers in a pink juggouache and pencil on paper7 5/8 x 5 3/4 inchesProvenancePrivate collection, UK
18. Rear View of Nun and Orphansgouache and watercolour7 x 5 1/2 inchesProvenanceEstate of the artist until 1966Faerber & MaisonVra OumanoffThomas Agnew & Sons, 1970, No. 31642
ExhibitedArts Council Tour 1968: London, Tate Gallery, January - March; Graves Art Gallery, Sheffield, March - April; National Museums of Wales, Cardiff, April - MayGwen John: A Retrospective Exhibition (no. 109), London, Barbican Art Gallery, 12 September - 3 November 1985, Manchester City Art Gallery, 28 November 1985 - 26 January 1986; New Haven, Yale Centre for British Art, 26 February 1986 - 20 April 1986.Literature Cecily Langdale and David Fraser Jenkins, Gwen John: An Interior Life (London: Phaidon Press & Barbican Art Gallery) no. 116, colour plate 62
19. Two Cottages behind a Wallgouache and watercolour, stamped signature6 3/8 x 6 1/4 inchesProvenanceEx collection: the ArtistPrivate collection, UK
20. Rear View of Nun and Orphan, Seated in Church, circa 1920sgouache and watercolour on paper5 5/8 x 5 7/16 inchesProvenanceEx collection: the estate of the Artist
PAUL MAZE (1887-1979)21. The Cavendish Hotel pastel15 x 22 inchesProvenance Private Collection, UK
BERTHE MORISOT (1841-1895)22. Femme et enfant au boispencil on paper laid on card stamped with the artists initials B.M and numbered no. 25 (lower right); further inscribed For my grand-daughter 23.10.1970./Suzanne Eisendieck (on reverse)21 x 15 15/16 inchesProvenanceGifted by Mrs Suzanne Eisendieck to her grand-daughter
ExhibitedParis, Musee Jacquemart-Andre, Exposition Berthe Morisot.It is suggested that this drawing is a study for the painting Femme et fillette au bord du lac (1894) as listed in the catalogue raisonn by Alain Clairet, Delphine Montalant and Yves Rouart: Berthe Morisot, 1841-1895 (Paris: 1997), no. 418
JOHN NASH (1893-1977)23. Autumn Flowers, circa 1948oil on board21 1/2 x 16 1/8 inchesProvenanceNew Grafton Gallery, London, 1987Private Collection, UK
BEN NICHOLSON (1894-1982)24. George and Rufus, 1938screenprint in colours on rayon17 x 22 3/4 inches
SIR WILLIAM NICHOLSON (1872-1949)25. The Castle, Malaga, 1935 oil on canvasboard 13 x 16 inches signed with initials, titled and dated Jan 1935 on the reverse Provenance Acquired directly from the Artist by Winston and Clementine Churchill, and thence by descent to their daughter Mary Exhibited London, National Gallery, Exhibition of Paintings by Sir William Nicholson and Jack B. Yeats, 1st January - 15th March 1942, cat. no.74. Literature Lillian Browse, William Nicholson, Rupert Hart-Davis, London, 1956, cat. no.448, p.104 Patricia Reed, William Nicholson, Catalogue Raisonn of the Oil Paintings, Modern Art Press/Yale University Press, London, 2011, cat. no.737, illustrated p.565
26. Racing, 1897hand coloured woodcut7 3/4 x 7 3/4 inches
27. Flower girl (Any Corner), 1898hand coloured woodcut, from London Types10 x 9 inches
28. Shire horse, 1904hand coloured woodcut8 x 8 1/2 inches
ANNE REDPATH (1895-1965)29. Still life of Tulips, late 1940s oil on board 24 x 20 inches Provenance Private Collection, UK Duncan Miller Fine Art
GILBERT SPENCER (1892-1979)30. Early Spring, Basildon, Berkshireoil on canvas, signed20 x 30 inches
AUGUSTE RODIN (1840-1917)31. Nu fminin deboutbronzeheight: 14 1/2 inches Probably conceived in the 1890s, cast by George Rudier, no. 3 of 12, plus one for the Muse Rodin, between 1953 and 1961ProvenancePurchased Reid & Lefevre 22 March 1962, stock no. 192/58LiteratureAntoinette le Normand-Romain, The Bronzes of Rodin, Catalogue of Works in the Muse Rodin, vol. II, no. S100, p558 (Lund Humphries, 2007)
GEORGES ROUAULT (1871-1958)32. Portrait Head, 1930watercolour on paper10 1/4 x 7 7/8 inchesProvenancePrivate collection, UK, acquired prior to 1938ExhibitedBirmingham Museum & Art Gallery, 1938National Art Gallery of Canada, 1941 & 1944 (illustrated in hanging photographs for the 1944 exhibition) EUAN UGLOW (1932-2000)33. Nude with Arm on Box, circa 1965oil on board23 3/4 x 21 3/4 inchesLiteratureLampert, C, Euan Uglow: The Complete Paintings (Yale University Press, 2007), no. 192