Control Group's David Rocamora and Pronia's Brian Besterman presented a case study on migrating HIPAA compliant applications in AWS at the AWS Re:Invent Conference on Nov. 29, 2012
Text of AWS Re:Invent - Securing HIPAA Compliant Apps in AWS
1. Solutions in Action - GlucoCareSecuring HIPAA compliant applications in AWS
2. IntroductionsWho are these guys?Brian Besterman David RocamoraCIO & Co-Founder VP DevOpsPronia Medical Systems Control Group
3. What is GlucoCare? The GlucoCare Intensive Glycemic Control System is an FDA approved software-based insulin dosing calculator indicated for the management of high blood glucose levels in the hospital setting. In use at seven U.S. hospitals, including Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in NYC. Additionally used throughout the mid-west by Kentucky Organ Donor Affiliates (KODA) over the Internet, running on EC2. GlucoCare has processed over 56,000 glucose readings for more than 1,500 patients since 2009.
4. Why AWS for GlucoCare? Deployment efficiency and control Ability to rapidly demo and pilot solutions Cut through IT bureaucracy and satisfy governance requirements Ease and speed of provisioning realistic training and test environments Measurable and predictable usage-based costs
5. HIPAATitle II - Administrative SimplificationThis provision addresses the security and privacy ofhealth data
6. Why AWS for HIPAA?HIPAA Breaches by Type/Asset; Affected Individuals 84% of incidents due to physical theft or loss
7. Encryption, HIPAA, and AWSSecure delivery of keys secret @8d2 ... ... GlucoCare AWS Environment Pronia uses secret keys to encrypt data
8. Encryption, HIPAA, and AWSSecure delivery of keys secret @8d2 ... ... CloudFormation GlucoCare AWS Environment CloudFormation is used to deliver the keys
9. Encryption, HIPAA, and AWSSecure delivery of keys secret @8d2 ... ... CloudFormation GlucoCare AWS Environment Access to EC2 is restricted
10. Encryption, HIPAA, and AWSSecure delivery of keys CloudFormation secret @8d2 ... ... GlucoCare EC2 Instance Instances ask for secret keys on boot
11. Encryption, HIPAA, and AWSSecure delivery of keys GlucoCare GlucoCare EC2 Instance GlucoCare starts and gets the key
12. Encryption, HIPAA, and AWSSecure delivery of keys GlucoCare GlucoCare EC2 Instance GlucoCare deletes the keys after starting
13. Pronia and Control GroupThere s more to this storyTo learn more about GlucoCare and Pronia:www.proniamed.comFor a closer look at the encryption solution:www.controlgroup.com
14. We are sincerely eager to hear your feedback on thispresentation and on re:Invent. Please fill out an evaluation form when you have a chance.