an III Platon, Republica Shorey. Loeb. 1937 (t.2)

Embed Size (px)

Citation preview

• 8/7/2019 an III Platon, Republica Shorey. Loeb. 1937 (t.2)

1/23

^1* I. Merd ravra S?^, elrrov, aTTecKaaov toiovtw7rd0L TTjv Tjixerepav

2/23

BOOK VIII. " Next," said I, " compare our nature in respect

of education and its lack to such an experience asthis. Picture men dwelling in a sort of subterraneancavern " with a long entrance open ^ to the light on itsentire width. Conceive them as having their legsand necks fettered" from childliood, so that theyto a cave, Diels i. 269. Cf. Wright, loc. cit. Wright refersit to the Cave of Vari in Attica, pp. 140-142. Others havesupposed that Plato had in mind rather the puppet andmarionette shows to which he refers. Cf. Dies in BulletinBude, No. 14 (1927) pp. 8 f.The suggestiveness of the image has been endless. Themost eloquent and frequently quoted passage of Aristotle'searly wTitings is derived from it, Cic. De nat. dear. ii. 37.It is the source of Bacon's " idols of the den." Sir ThomasBrowne writes in Urn Burial : " We yet discourse in Plato'sden and are but embryo philosophers." Huxley's allegoryof " Jack and the Beanstalk " in Evolution and Ethics,pp. 47 ff. is a variation on it. Berkeley recurs to it, Siris, 263. The Freudians would have still more fantastic inter-pretations. Cf. Jung, Analytic Psych, p. 232. Eddingtonperhaps glances at it when he attributes to the new physicsthe frank reali2ation that physical science is concerned witha world of shadows. Cf. also Complete Poems of HenryMore (ed. Grossart), p. 44

:

Like men new made contriv'd into a caveThat ne'er saw light, but in that shadowy pitSome uncouth might them hoodwink hither drave, etc.* Cf. Phaedo 111c avaxeitTOLfjAvoxn.' Cf. Phaedo 67 d.

3/23

PLATOKai TO, cTKeXr) Kal rovs avx^va?, oiore fxeveiv re

B avTov^ ets re ro Ttpoadev fiovov opdv, kvkXo) 8eTag Ke(f)aXag vtto tov hea^xov ahwdrovs Trepidyeiv,^oj? 8e avToig rrvpog dvwdev /cat TToppcoOev Kao-fxevov OTTLoOev avT(Zv, juera^u 8e tov rrvpos KalTojv SeaficjTwv eTrdvat ohov. Trap* rjv i8e reixiovTTapwKoBofiiqiJLevov, (LaTrep tols davfiarorroLOis irpoTVjv dvdpdoTTCov TTpoKeirat rd TTapa^pdyjxara, vrrep(x)v rd davfxara SeiKvvaaLV. 'Opcb,

4/23

THE REPUBLIC, BOOK VIIremain in the same spot, able to look forward only,and prevented by the fetters from turning their heads.Picture further the liffht from a fire burninor hic^herup and at a distance behind them, and between thefire and the prisoners and above them a road alongwhich a low wall has been built, as the exhibitors ofpuppet-shows " have partitions before the men them-selves, above which they show the puppets." " Allthat I see," he said. " See also, then, men carrying ^past the wall implements of all kinds that rise abovethe wall, and human images and shapes of animalsas well, wTought in stone and wood and every material,some of these bearers presumably speaking andothers silent." " A strange image you speak of," hesaid, " and strange prisoners." " Like to us," I said ;" for, to begin ^^-ith, tell me do you think that thesemen would have seen anything of themselves or ofone another except the shadows cast from the fireon the wall of the cave that fronted them ? " " Howcould they," he said, " if they were compelled tohold their heads unmoved through Ufe ? " " Andagain, would not the same be true of the objectscarried past them ? " *' Surely." " If then theywere able to talk to one another, do you not thinkthat they would suppose that in naming the things

" H. Rackham, Class. Rev. xxix. pp. 77-78, suggests thatthe Tor? 0av^aToiroioU should be translated "at the marion-ettes" and be classed with Katvois rpaytfiSoii (Pseph. ap.Dem. xviii. 116). For the dative he refers to Kuehner-Gerth,II. 1. p. 445.* The men are merely a part of the necessary machineryof the image. Their shadows are not cast on the wall. Theartificial objects correspond to the things of sense and opinionin the divided line, and the shadows to the world of reflec-tions, tUdva.

5/23

PLATO^i.v dnep opojev; 'Amy/CT^. Tt 8'; el /cat "qx^TO SeCTHOJT-qpLOV K TOV KaXaVTlKpU XOi, OTTOTe TLSra>v TTapiovroiv (fidiy^ano, otei av ctAAo tl avrovsrjyetadai to (jtOeyyopievov ^ Tr]v vaptovaav oKidv;Md Ai" ovK eyuiy' , ^^V- ^o-VTaTraai hij, ^v 8' eyco,C OL TOIOVTOL OVK oiv aAAo Tt VOfll^OLeV TO oXrjdeS Tjras Twv aKevaoTcjv cr/cta?. noAAi7 avdyKT], ^17.S/co7Tei Si^, "^v 8* iyo), avTOjv Xvaiv re /cat laati^Tcijv Secrfiojv /cat t^? d^poavvrjs, oia Tt? ai^ 6117, et^vaei roidSe ^vjx^aivoi avToZs' oiroTe tls XvdeLTjKai dvayKdt,OLTO i^aL(f)V7]s dviaTaadai t /cat Trepi-dyeiv TOV ay;)^eva /cat ^ahit,iv /cat Trpo? to i^oj?dva^XcTTeiv, irdvTa 8e TavTa ttolcov dXyol tc koLStd TCI? fxapfiapvyds aSvvaTol Kadopdv eKelva, ojv

D TOTe TO.? cr/cids' ewpa, Tt av otet auToi' etTretv, eiTt? auTW Aeyot, oti totc /i.ev' ecopa ^Xvapias , vvv8e fxoAXov Tt iyyvTepco tov ovtos Kai Trpos fidXXov

' Cf. Parmen. 130 d, Tjw. 51 b, 52 a, and my DePlatonis Idearum doctrina, pp. 24-25; also E. Hoffmannin Wochenschrift f. Mass. Phil, xxxvi. (1919) pp. 196-197.As we use the word tree of the trees we see, tliough thereality {avrb 5 ^art) is the idea of a tree, so they would speakof the shadows as the world, though the real reference im-known to them would be to the objects that cause theshadows, and back of the objects to the things of the " real

"

world of which they are copies. The general meaning,which is quite certain, is that they would suppose theshadows to be the realities. The text and the precise turnof expression are doubtful. See crit. note. irapLovTo, isintentionally ambiguous in its application to the shadowsor to the objects which cast them. They suppose that thenames refer to the passing shadows, but (as we know) they122

6/23

THE REPUBLIC, BOOK VIIthat they saw" they were naming the passing objects?"" Necessarily." " And if their prison had an echo**from the wall opposite them, when one of the passers-by uttered a sound, do you think that they wouldsuppose anything else than the passing shadow tobe the speaker ? " " By Zeus, I do not," said he."Then in every way such prisoners would deemreahty to be nothing else than the shadows of theartificial objects." " Quite inevitably," he said." Consider, then, what would be the manner of therelease " and healing from these bonds and this follyif in the course of nature '^ something of this sortshould happen to them : When one was freed fromhis fetters and compelled to stand up suddenly andturn his head around and walk and to lift up his eyesto the light, and in doing all this felt pain and, becauseof the dazzle and ghtter of the light, was unable todiscern the objects whose shadows he formerly saw,what do you suppose would be his answer if someonetold him that what he had seen before was all a cheatand an illusion, but that now, being nearer to reahtyreally apply to the objects. Ideas and particulars are hom-onymous. Assuming a slight illogicality we can get some-what the same meaning from the text Tavrd. " Do younot think that they would identify the passing objects(which strictly speaking they do not know) with what theysaw? "

Cf. also P. Corssen, Philologische Wochenschrift, 1913,p. 286. He prefers oiV ai-ra. and renders : " Sie wurden indem, was sie sahen, das Voriibergehende selbst zu benennenglauben."

* The echo and the voices (515 a) merely complete thepicture.

* Cf. Phaedo 67 d \viv, and 83 d \i5

7/23

PLATO\ ovra TeT/)a/z/LteVos' opOorepa jSAeVot, Kal Sr) /cat

eKaarov rtov TrapiovTOiv heiKvvs ayroj avayKd.t,oi,, cpiOTwv aTTOKpiveadai 6 ri ecrriv; ovk o'Ul avTOv/ dvopeLv re av Kal rjyeiadat. ra rore opiofxeva

jdXrjdearepa 7] rd vvv SeiKvvjxeva; rioAu y', 6^77.

/ II, OvKovv Koiv el Trpos avro ro cficos dvayKa^oi,E avTov ^XiireLv, aXyelv re dv rd opL/xara Kal(f)vyeLv dTTocrrpe(f)6fjievov Trpos eKelva d SvvaraLKadopdv, Kal uopbi^eiv ravra rip ovri cra^earepardjv SeiKvvfjievojv; Ovrcus, e^Ty. Ei 8e, -^v S'eyco, ivrevdev cXkol ris avrov ^ia ^id rpax^tasri]s ava^daecos Kal dvdvrovs Kal p,rj dveiiq irplve^eXKvaeiev els to rod tjXlov (f)a)s, dpa ovxloSwdadal re dv Kal dyavaKreZv eXKopievov, Kal

516 7Ti07] irpos TO (f)cx)s eXdoL, avyijs dv e^ovra rdopLfxara fxeara opdv ov8' dv ev hvvaadai rcov vvvXeyopievoiv dXrjdcbv; Ov ydp dv, e(fi-q, e^atcfiviqs ye.TiVVT^Oelas Srj, otfxai, SeoLr' dv, el fxeXXoi rd dvcjoipeadaL' Kal TrpdJrov puev rds oKids dv paara Kad-opo), Kai fxerd rovro ev roXs vhaai rd re rcovavdpoiTTCJV Kal rd rcov dXXojv e'lhcoXa, varepov heavra' eK he rovrcov rd ev rev ovpavcv Kal avrov rovovpavov vvKrcop dv paov dedaairo, Trpoa^XeTTCov roB rcov darpcov re Kal aeXt^vrjs (f>

8/23

THE REPUBLIC, BOOK VIIand turned toward more real things, he saw moretruly ? And if also one should point out to him eachof the passing objects and constrain him by questionsto say what it is, do you not think that he would beat a loss and that he would regard what he formerlysaw as more real than the things now pointed outto him ? " " Far more real," he said.

II. " And if he were compelled to look at the lightitself, would not that pain his eyes, and would he notturn away and flee to those things which he is ableto discern and regard them as in very deed moreclear and exact than the objects pointed out ?"" It is so," he said. " And if," said I, " someoneshould drag him thence by force up the ascent ** whichis rough and steep, and not let him go before he haddrawn him out into the hght of the sun, do you notthink that he would find it painful to be so haledalong, and would chafe at it, and when he came outinto the hght, that his eyes would be filled with itsbeams so that he would not be able to see "^ even one ofthe things that we call real ? " " \\'hy, no, not im-mediately," he said. " Then there would be needof habituation, I take it, to enable him to see thethings higher up. And at first he would most easilydiscern the shadows and, after that, the Ukenessesor reflections in water "^ of men and other things,and later, the things themselves, and from these hewould go on to contemplate the appearances in theheavens and heaven itself, more easily by night, look-ing at the hght of the stars and the moon, than by day" anagogical " virtue and interpretation. Cf. Leibniz, ed.Gerhardt, vii. 270.

C/. Laves 897 d, Phaedo 99 d.* Cf. Phaedo 99 d. Stallbaura says this was imitated byThemistius, Oral. iv. p. 51 b.

9/23

PLATOTOP -^Xlov re /cat ro rov rjXiov. Ilcus" S ov;TeXeuralov 817, oljxaL, rov rjAiov, ovk ev vSamvoi)S' iv dXXorpla eSpa (fjavrdafjiara avrov, oAAavrov Kad^ avrov iv rfj avrov X^P^ Svvair avKariSelv Kal QedaaaQai olo? iariv. AvayKatov,(f)7). Kai jxerd ravr dv rj^r] crvXkoyiiC,OLro irepiavrov on ovros 6 rag re copas Trapep^cov Kateviavrovs Kal irdvra eirirpoTTeviDV ra ev rw

Q opcoixevo) roTTCO, /cat eKeivcjJv, (Lv acfieXs eoipcov,rpoTTOv rivd Trdvrojv atrtos". At^Aoi^, eLas /cat rcov rare ^vvSeafiajrcov ovk dv otei avrovfxev euSat^ovi^etv t^? jiera^oXrjs, roiis be eXeelv;Kai ixdXa. Tifxal Se Kat erraivoi et rives avrols

' rjaav rore Trap d^r]Xa>v Kal yepa ra> o^vrara Kad-opojvn ra Traptovra, /cat piVT]p.ovevovn fidXiaraD oaa re irporepa avrcov Kal varepa elcodei Kai a/xaTTopeveaOai, Kal e/c rovrcov Srj hvvarwrara airo-fiavrevofievcp ro fieXXov rj^eiv, So/cet? dv avroviTndvixrjnKojg avrcov e^eiv Kal ^ijAout' rovs TrapeKeivois nfxojfjLevovs re Kal evSvvaarevovras, y] rorov 'Ofi-qpov dv ireTTOvdevat, Kal a^ohpa ^ovXeadai

" It is probably a mistake to look for a definite symbolismin all the details of this description. There are more stagesof progress than the proportion of four things calls for. Allthat Plato's thought requires is the general contrast betweenan unreal and a real world, and the goal of the rise from oneto the other in the contemplation of the sun, or the idea ofgood. C/. 517 B-c. * i.e. a foreign medium. Cf. 508 B, and for the idea of good as the cause of allthings cf. on 509 b, and Introd. pp. xxxv-xxxvi.

P. Corssen, Philol. Wochenschri/t, 1913, pp. 287-288, un-necessarily proposes to emend Cbi' (T

10/23

THE REPUBLIC, BOOK VIIthe sun and the sun's hght." " " Of course." " Andso, finally, I suppose, he would be able to look uponthe sun itselfand see its true nature, not by reflectionsin water or phantasms of it in an alien setting,^ but inand by itself in its own place." " Necessarily," hesaid. " And at this point he would infer and con-clude that this it is that provides the seasons and thecourses of the year and presides over all things in thevisible region, and is in some sort the cause '^ of all thesethings that they had seen." " Obviously," he said," that would be the next step." " Well then, if herecalled to mind his first habitation and what passedfor wisdom there, and his fellow-bondsmen, do younot think that he would count himself happy in thechange and pity them **? " "He would indeed." "Andif there had been honours and commendations amongthem which they bestowed on one another and prizesfor the manwho is quickest to make out the shadows asthey pass and best able to remember their customaryprecedences, sequences andco-existences,* andsomostsuccessful in guessing at what was to come, do youthink he would be very keen about such rewards, andthat he would envy and emulate those who werehonoured by these prisoners and lorded it amongthem, or that he would feel with Homer ^ and greatly&V ff4>'ls (TKiai e., " ne sol umbrarum, quas videbant, auctorfuisse dicatur, cum potius earum rerum, quarum umbras vide-bant, fuerit auctor." '' Cf. on 4S6 a, p. 10, note a.

' Another of Plato's anticipations ofmodern thought. Thisis precisely the Humian, Comtian, positivist, pragmatist viewof causation. Cf. Gorg. 501 a rpi^^ Kal ifxireipig. nvinxTjvfiofof (Tiii^ofxeyij tov eicodoros yiyveadcu, " relying on routine andhabitude for merely preserving a memory of what is wont toresult." (Loeb tr.)

' Odyss. xi. 489. The quotation is almost as apt as thatat the beginning of the Crito.

11/23

PLATOerrapovpov iovra O-qrevep^ev dXXcp avSpl Trap*aKX'qpcp Kal oriovv dv TT^TTOvdivaL p,dXXov rj ^KeZvd

E re ho^dt,LV Kal eKcivcos Cw! Ovtcos, (f)rj, eycoyeotjuai, Trdv pd?daXpovs, ^aL

12/23

THE REPUBLIC, BOOK VIIprefer while living on earth to be serf of another, alandless man, and endure anything rather than opinewith them and live that life ? " " Yes," he said, " Ithink that he would choose to endure anything ratherthan such a life." " And consider this also," said I," if such a one should go down again and take his oldplace would he not get his eyes full** of darkness, thussuddenly coming out of the sunlight ? " " He wouldindeed." " Now if he should be required to contendwith these perpetual prisoners in ' evaluating ' theseshadows while his \ision was still dim and before hiseyes were accustomed to the darkand this time re-quired for habituation would not be very shortwouldhe not provoke laughter,* and would it not be said ofhim that he had returned from his journey aloft withhis eyes ruined and that it was not worth while even toattempt the ascent ? And if it were possible to layhands on and to kill the man who tried to releasethem and lead them up, would they not kill him "} "" They certainly would," he said.

III. " This image then, dear Glaucon, we mustapply as a whole to all that has been said, likeningthe region revealed through sight to the habitationofthe prison, and the light of the fire in it to the powerof the sun. And if you assume that the ascent andthe contemplation of the things above is the soul's

' An obvious allusion to the fate of Socrates. For otherstinging allusions to this cf. Gorg. 486 b, 521 c, Meno 100B-c.

13/23

PLATOTOTTOV TTJs ^^xrjs avohov Tidels ovx dfiaprqaci rrjs

. / y* cfjLTJs iXTTiSos, 7761817 TavTTjs eTTLdvfxets aKoveivji deos Se 7TOV olSev, el dXr]dr]s ovaa rvyxavei. rd'' 8' ovv e/xoi (jiaivofMeva ovroi ^aiverai, iv ru)

yvioarat reAeurata ly rov dyadov iSe'a /cat fjLoyisC opdadai, odelaa he avXXoyicrrea elvai cos dpa

TTaai TTavTcov avrq opdcov re /cat KaXiov alria, evre oparo) ^cos /cat rov tovtov Kvpiov reKovaa, evre voTjTcp avrri KVpia dX-qdeiav /cat vovv irapa-axop,evr], /cat on Set ravr-qv ISetv rov fieXXovraep,

14/23

THE REPUBLIC, BOOK VIIascension to the intelligible region," you will not missmy surmise, since that is what you desire to hear.But God knows* whether it is true. But, at any rate,my dream as it appears to me is that in the regionof the known the last thing to be seen and hardly seenis the idea of good, and that when seen it must needspoint us to the conclusion that this is indeed thecause for all things of all that is right and beautiful,giving birth "^ in the visible world to hght, and theauthor of light and itself in the intelligible worldbeing the authentic source of truth and reason, andthat anyone who is to act wisely'' in private or publicmust have caught sight of this." " I concur," hesaid, " so far as I am able." " Come then," I said," and join me in this further thought, and do not besurprised that those who have attained to this heightare not willing * to occupy themselves with the affairsof men, but their souls ever feel the upward urge andthe yearning for that sojourn above. For this, Itake it, is Ukely if in this point too the hkeness ofour image holds." " Yes, it is likely." " And again,do you think it at all strange," said I, "if a manreturning from divine contemplations to the pettymiseries' ofmen cuts a sorry figure' and appears mostridiculous, if, while still blinking through the gloom,and before he has become sufficiently accustomed

' Cf. 506 E."* This is the main point for the Republic. The significance

of the idea of good for cosmogony is just glanced at andreserved for the Tlmaeus. Cf. on 508 b, p. 10;?, note a andpp. 505-506, For the practical application cf. Meno 81 d-e.See also Introd. pp. xxxv-xxx\i.

Cf. 5-21 A, 345 E, and Vol. I. on 347 d, p. 81, note d.f Cf. 346 E.' Cf. Theaet. 174 c dtrx'jAioo'i'*'';.

If

15/23

PLATOyeveadai tco TTapovri okotco dvayKa^o/xevos eVSiKaarrjpLois ^ aXXodi ttov dycovl^eadat Tvepi tcovrod StKaLov uklcov 7} dyaXpLdrcov oJv at oKiai, Kat

E Sta/xiAAacr^ai Ttepl rovrov, ottt) TTore VTroXajx^dverairavra vtto tcjv avrrjv SiKaioavvrjv fxr} TTWTTorelSovtcjov; Ou8' oTTCoaTLOvv davfiaarov, e

16/23

THE REPUBLIC, BOOK VIIto the environing darkness, he is compelled in court-rooms " or elsewhere to contend about the shadows ofjustice or the images '' that cast the shadows and towrangle in debate about the notions of these thingsin the minds of those who have never seen justiceitself? " " It would be by no means strange," hesaid. " But a sensible man," I said, " would re-member that there are two distinct disturbances ofthe eyes arising from two causes, according as theshift is from hght to darkness or from darkness tolight,*' and, believing that the same thing happensto the soul too, whenever he saw a soul perturbedand unable to discern something, he would not laugh **unthinkingly, but would observe whether comingfrom a brighter life its vision was obscured by theunfamiUar darkness, or whether the passage from thedeeper dark of ignorance into a more luminous worldand the greater brightness had dazzled its vision.*And so ^hewoulddeem the one happy in its experienceand way of life and pity the other, and if it pleasedhim to laugh at it, his laughter would be less laugh-able than that at the expense of the soul that hadcome down from the light above." " That is a veryfair statement," he said.IV. " Then, if this is true, our view of thesematters must be this, that education is not in reahtywhat some people proclaim it to be in their profes-

' Aristotle, De an. 422 a 20 f. says the over-bright is abparwbut otherwise than the dark." Cf. Theaft. 175 d-e. Lit. " or whether coming from a deeper ignorance into amore luminous world, it is dazzled by the brilliance of a

greater light."' i.e. only after that. For oCrw 5iJ in this sense cf, 484 d,429 D, 443 E, Charm. 171 e.

17/23

PLATOC (paoL oe TTOV ovk evovarjg iv ttj ^v^fj e7TiaTrjfi.rj?

ar(f>eLS evTiOevai, olov rv

18/23

THE REPUBLIC, BOOK VIIsions." What they aver is that they can put trueknowledge into a soul that does not possess it, as ifthey were inserting* vision into blind eyes." "Theydo indeed," he said. " But our present argumentindicates," said I, " that the true analogy for thisindwelling power in the soul and the instrumentwhereby each of us apprehends is that of an eye thatcould not be converted to the light from the darknessexcept by turning the whole body. Even so thisorgan of knowledge must be turned around fromthe world of becoming together ^^ith the entiresoul, hke the scene-shifting periacf in the theatre,until the soul is able to endure the contemplationof essence and the brightest region of being. Andthis, we say, is the good,'' do we not ? " " Yes."" Of this very thing, then," I said, " there might bean art,* an art of the speediest and most effectiveshifting or conversion of the soul, not an art of pro-ducing vision in it, but on the assumption that itpossesses vision but does not rightly direct it anddoes not look where it should, an art of bringing thisabout." " Yes, that seems likely," he said. " Thenwriters ; but others do not consider this conclusive evidence,as a number of classical plays seem to have required some-thing of the sort. Cf. O. Navarre in Daremberg-Saglio s.v.Machine, p. 1469.

* Hard-headed distaste for the unction or seeming mysti-cism of Plato's language should not blind us to the plainmeaning. Unlike Schopenhauer, who affirms the moralwill to be unchangeable, Plato says that men may be preachedand drilled into ordinary moralitj-, but that the degree oftheir intelligence is an unalterable endowment of nature.Some teachers will concur.

* Plato often distinguishes the things that do or do notadmit of reduction to an art or science. Cf. on 488 e, p. 22,note 6. Adam is mistaken in taking it " Education (t; ro-Lhiia^would be an art," etc.1S5

19/23

PLATOAt ixv Tolvvv aAAat dperal KaXovfievai tfivx^jsKivSvvevovcnv iyyvs Tt elvai tcov tov CTcojuaros"E Tw ovTi yap OVK ivovaai TrpoTCpov varepov ijx-TTOietadaL eOeai re Kal aoKiqaecjiv' 'q 8e rov (f)povrjcrai,iravros iidXXov deiorepov rtvos Tvyxdveu, coseoLKev, ovcra, o ttjv fiev Svvafiiv ovbdrroTe a7r-oXXvaiv, VTTO TT^s" 7Tpiayioyrjs XPV^^H-^^ "^^ '^^''519 w(f)Xifxov Kal dxpT)orov av koI ^Xa^epov yiyverai.7] ovTTOi ivvevorjKag, tcov Xeyofxevcov TTOvr^poJv pcev,ao(f)a)v be, cos Spipiv fxev ^Xerrei to ijiuxo-p^ov /cato^icos Siopa TavTa e'^' a TeTpaiTTaL, cvs ov (jyavXrjvXov TTJV oijiLv, KaKta S' ^vayKaafievov vmjpeTeiv,coaT oao) dv o^vTepov ^Xenrj, ToaovTcp irXeicoKaKOL pyat,6iievov ; Ilai^u piev ovv, (f)7). TovrofxevTOi, -qv 8' iyo), to Trjs ToiavTrjs cf)vacos el KTTtttSoS" evdvS KOTTTOpieVOV TTepteKOTT-q TOLS TTJSB yeveaecos ^vyyevels (Zarrep fjboXv^8l8as, at 8rj

" This then is Plato's answer (intended from the first) tothe question whether virtue can be taught, debated in theProtagoras and Meno. The intellectual virtues (to use Aris-totle's term), broadly speaking, cannot be taught ; they area gift. And the highest moral virtue is inseparable fromrightly directed intellectual virtue. Ordinary moral virtueis not rightly taught in democratic Athens, but comes bythe grace of God. In a reformed state it could be systemati-cally inculcated and "taught." Cf. What Plato Said,pp. 511-512 on 3feno 70 a. But we need not infer thatPlato did not believe in mental discipline. Cf. Charles Fox,Educational Psychology, p. 164 " The conception of mentaldiscipline is at least as old as Plato, as may be seen from theseventh book of the Republic , . ."

* Cf. Aristot. Eth. JVic. 1103 a 14-17 i] S^ iidiKT] i^ Idovs.Plato does not explicitly name " ethical " and " intellectual

"

virtues. Cf. Fox, op. cit. p. 104 " Plato correctly believed136

20/23

THE REPUBLIC, BOOK VIIthe other so-called virtues * of the soul do seem akinto those of the body. For it is true that where theydo not pre-exist, they are afterwards created byhabit ^ and practice. But the excellence of thought,"it seems, is certainly of a more divine quality, a thingthat never loses its potency, but, according to thedirection of its conversion, becomes useful and bene-ficent, or, again, useless and harmful. Have younever observed in those who are popularly spoken ofas bad, but smart men,"* how keen is the vision of theUttle soul,* how quick it is to discern the things thatinterest it,' a proof that it is not a poor vision whichit has, but one forcibly enhsted in the ser\'ice ofevil, so that the sharper its sight the more mischiefit accomplishes ? " "I certainly have," he said." Observe then," said I, " that this part of such asoul, if it had been hanunered from childhood, andhad thus been struck free ^ of the leaden weights, sothat all virtues except wisdom could be acquired habitually

' Plato uses such synonyms as

21/23

PLATOeocoSalg re /cat toiovtcov T^Sovat? re Kal Aip^i'eiat?7Tpoa(f)Vis yiyvofxevat, Karo)^ arpecfiovaL rrjV rrj^^'^XV^ o^tt'* cov el OLTTaXXayev 7TpiaTpcf)eTO et?rdXrjdrj, Kal e/cetra av to avro tovto rcov avrcbvavdpcoTTcov o^vrara iojpa, ctjairep Kal e

22/23

THE REPUBLIC, BOOK VIIto speak, of our birth and becoming, which attachingthemselves to it by food and similar pleasures andgluttonies turn downwards the vision of the soul

"

if, I say, freed from these, it had suffered a con-version towards the things that are real and true,that same faculty of the same men would have beenmost keen in its vision of the higher things, just asit is for the things toward which it is now turned."" It is likely," he said. " Well, then," said I, " isnot this also Ukely * and a necessary consequence ofwhat has been said, that neither could men whoare uneducated and inexperienced in truth everadequately preside over a state, nor could thosewho had been permitted to linger on to the endin the pursuit of culturethe one because theyhave no single aim ^ and purpose in Hfe to which alltheir actions, pubhc and private, must be directed,and the others, because they will not voluntarilyengage in action, beUeving that while still li\'ingthey have been transported to the Islands of theBlest.**" " True," he said. " It is the duty of us, thefounders, then," said I, " to compel the best naturesto attain the knowledge which we pronouncedthe greatest, and to vdn to the vision of the good,to scale that ascent, and when they have reachedthe heights and taken an adequate view, we mustnot allow what is now permitted." " What is that ? ""That they should hnger there," I said, " and refuse

' ffKowSv : this is what distinguishes the philosophic states-man from the opportunist politician. Cf. 452 e. Laics962 A-B, D, U71U1/ 0/ Plato's Thought, p. 18, n. 102.** Cf. 540 B, (Jorg. 526 c, infra 520 d ^j' ti^ Kadap

23/23

PLATOKaraBaiveiv Trap* eKeivovs rows Secrjuajras' /xT^Sefierex^iv tcDv Trap' eVeiVois' ttovojv re Kal Tifxcbv,elre (ftavXarepai lt OTTOvhaioTepai. "ETretr', e^T/,ahLKrjaojxev avrovs, Kal TTOtrjaofiev xetpov ^rjv,hwarov avTolg ov afieivov;E V. ETreAct^ou, '^v 8' iyo), ttolXlv, c5 (^I'Ae, onvofioj ov TOVTO jxeXei, ottcos ev ri yivos iv TvoAeiOLa(f)p6vTa)s v TTpd^ei, dAA' iv oXji rfj ttoXcl tovtofjLr])(ava.Tai iyyeveadai, ^vvapfioTTCov rovs TToXlrasTTeidoZ re Kal dvdyKr), ttoicjv ixeraSiSovai dAAi^Aot?

520 '"'^S" d)(f)eXetas, 7]v dv eKaaroi ro kolvov hvvarol(haiv oj(f>eXelv, Kal avros ifiTTOiajv roiovrovs dvSpasev rfj TToXei, ovx ti^a d^iT^ rpeTreadai OTrrj CKaarog^ouXerai, dAA' tva Karaxpyjrai avros avrols cttIrov ^vvheajjbov rijs TrdAecos". 'AXrjdij, ovsyiyvopievovg, dXXd StKaia rrpog avrovs epovp-ev,7TpoaavayKdt,ovres rcbv dXXcov eTTLfxeXeladai re KalB (JjvXdrrei-v. epovpev ydp, on. ol pev ev rats ctAAais"TToXeoL roLovroL yiyv6p,evot, eiKorcos ov p.ere)(ovairdJv ev avrats ttovojv avr6p,aroc ydp ep(f)vovraLaKOVcrrjs ri]s ev eKdarj] TToXireias , SiKrjv S' exec roye avro(f>ves, p,rjSevl rpo(l)rjv 6(j>lXov, pirjS* eKriveiv

" Cf. infra 539 e and Laws 803 b-c, and on 520 c, Huxley,Evolution and Ethics, p. 53 " the hero of our story descendedthe bean-stalk and came back to the common world," etc.

* Cf. Vol. I. pp. 3U-315 on 419.* i.e. happiness, not of course exceptional happiness.'' Persuasion and compulsion are often bracketed or con-

trasted. Cf. also Laws 661 c, 723 b, 711 c. Rep. 548 b.' Gf. 369 c If. The reference there however is only to theeconomic division of labour. For the idea that laws should