Text of It's Getting Personal: The Rise of Hyper-Targeted User Experiences - Colin Eagan
1. ITS GETTING PERSONAL // THE RISE OF USER EXPERIENCES HYPER-TARGETED BY COLIN EAGAN, M.S.
2. COLIN EAGAN PLEASED TO MEET YOU. EXPERIENCE DESIGNER | WASHINGTON, D.C. @colineags #uxpa2015
3. (Todays Topic)
4. TODAY WE WILL: EXPLORE AN EXCITING NEW UX POWER: TARGETED USER CONTENT LEARN HOW TO USE IT FOR GOOD OR FOR EVIL LEAVE YOU WITH A CHOICE
5. BUT FIRST, SOME NUMBERS Everyone loves numbers.
6. Average number of times the online activity of an average internet user is tracked daily Source: Acxiom Corp
7. Yearly value to Facebook of a female user who is very active on the site (males are worth $22.09). Facebook has 1.44 Billion Users as of Q1 2015. Source: Acxiom Corp
8. What a relatively inactive female user is worth to Facebook per year (inactive males are worth $9.09) Source: Acxiom Corp
9. ALL OF THESE NUMBERS HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE VALUE OF USER TARGETING Feeling small?
10. WHAT IS TARGETING? AND WHY DO I CARE. Glad you asked.
11. The Classic Example: Amazon has targeted users based on data for years. WHAT IS HYPER-TARGETED CONTENT? NOTHING NEW.
12. TARGETED = CUSTOMIZED BASED ON DATA
13. FOR GOOD
14. Source: Flashtalking Online Advertising. http://www.flashtalking.com/us/targeted-ads/ FOR NOT SO GOOD
15. ALSO KNOWN AS STALKER ADS As in upon seeing one, you might feel a bit like this
18. TARGETING THAT LEAVES A BAD TASTE
19. Source: Motley Fool, June 18, 2015 http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/06/18/twitter- starts-using-your-apps-to-target-ads.aspx AS OF LAST WEEK TWITTER USES YOUR APPS TO TARGET ADS
20. YAHOOS HOMEPAGE IS JUST PRETY MUCH ALL TARGETING (NOT THAT YOU GO THERE ANYWAY) Source: AdThis.com
21. WHAT ABOUT FACEBOOK TARGETING? DO YOU TRUST THEM?
22. BELGIUM DOESNT
23. BACKLASH: COOKIES ARE CLOSELY REGULATED IN THE E.U.
24. Source: Wall Street Journal. http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304704504579432 823496404570 BACKLASH: MORE AND MORE USERS ARE BLOCKING COOKIES
25. BACKLASH: GHOSTERY CAN BLOCK OVER 1900 TRACKERS
26. PRIVACY FIX AP http://adage.com/article/digital/worth-facebook-google/293042/
27. BUT ITS HARD TO RUN Via CBS News December 29, 2014, 12:09 PM
28. EVEN WORSE.
29. INADVERTANT ALGORITHMIC CRUELTY
30. WITH POWER COMES RESPONSIBILITY.
31. AND YET DESPITE ALL THAT
32. IF YOU ASK TEN MARKETERS
33. 9/10 MARKETERS CAN AGREE!
34. HOWEVER IF YOU LOOK AT SPEND
35. MARKETING $$ IS HIGHLY SCEWED $92 $1
36. MARKETING $$ IS HIGHLY SCEWED $92 *TODAY WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THIS EMPTY WHITE SPACE HERE
37. THERE ARE PLENTY OF TALKS YOU CAN ATTEND ON ONLINE BEHAVIORAL ADVERSITING. MOST OF THEM MAKE ME SAD. THIS IS NOT ONE OF THEM.
38. THIS TALK IS ABOUT PERSONALIZED UX ON YOUR OWN WEBSITE INTELLIGENTLY DESIGNING
39. OK, GREAT. WHAT DOES THAT MEAN.
40. WHATS CHANGED FOR UX PEROPLE: ENTER THE EXPERIENCE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
41. LET YOU CREATE TARGETED VERSIONS OF YOUR OWN SITE
42. JUST A FEW GLOBAL BRANDS USING SOME KIND OF EMS TODAY
43. OPEN SOURCE TOO, PEOPLE!
44. IF YOURE NOT USING TARGETING YET, OR YOUR CLIENTS ARENT YET, CHANCES ARE THAT WILL CHANGE QUICKLY. AND YOU NEED TO BE PREPARED.
45. YOU WILL HAVE A CHOICE.
46. WHAT WELL LOOK AT NEXT
47. TARGETING STRATEGY STEP 1 | DO WE EVEN NEED TARGETING? Does the pool have water in it?
48. GOOD REASONS TO TARGET WHAT TO ASK YOURSELF BEFORE YOU START BAD REASONS TO TARGET
49. REMEMBER! TARGETING ITSELF IS NOT A GOAL. ITS JUST ANOTHER TOOL IN THE TOOL BOX.
50. EXAMPLE: CONTENT GUIDING PRINCIPLES
51. AUDIENCE SEGMENTS STEP 2 | WHO ARE WE TALKING TO? Once you have your mission, you can begin segmenting your audience.
52. WHATS A SEGMENT?
53. SEGMENTS ARE DETERMINED BY DATA BEHAVIORAL TRAITS DEMOGRAPHIC TRAITS
54. USER DATA: TWO TYPES TO KNOW ABOUT
55. SOME DATA IS BETTER THAN OTHERS
56. SOME IS BETTER THAN OTHERS. DARK ARTS HAPPY PLACE
57. BIG BROKER IS WATCHING YOU. Source: https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/reports/data- brokers-call-transparency-accountability-report-federal-trade- commission-may-2014/140527databrokerreport.pdf
58. BIG BROKER IS WATCHING YOU.
59. RACE GENDER AGE OCCUPATION MARITAL STATUS POLITICAL AFFILIATION HOME OWNERSHIP VEHICLE OWNERSHIP
81. Credit: Sara Wachter Boettcher EXAMPLE: BASIC HIGH-LEVEL CONTENT MODEL
82. A BIT MORE COMPLEX Credit: ICF Interactive
83. TESTING & ANALYTICS STEP 4 | HOW DO WE KNOW IT WORKS? The so what.
84. DOES IT WORK? Personalization ability is only as good as your ability to measure it. KPIs are key to proving that targeting is improving your business goals. Examples: Agency TBG now estimates that their clients who implement personalized content can see a 10-20% lift in key performance indicators, such as sales.1 By adding personalized recommendations to its online store, shoemaker Rockport reported an increase in average order value by 32% and conversion rate by 10%. 2 On the B2B side, the data backup firm Iron Mountain was able to increase their referrals for health care clients by an impressive 123% when they showed a personalized message on their homepage, according to partner Demandbase.3 1 Berndt, John. Personalization Mechanics: Targeted Content for Web Teams of All Sizes. March 10, 2015. 2 Predictions 2015: Invest in Customer Insights To Activate Contextual Marketing. Forrester Research. November 10, 2014. 3 Demandbase also reported a 115% increase in the small to medium business segment using a similar approach. Source: Strohmeyer, Robert. Driving Conversion Through B2B Personalization. March 5, 2015.
85. EXAMPLE: CHILDRENS NATIONAL REDESIGN BY TBG 1 TBG reported 15% increase in page views, and a 161.45% increase in session duration. The new site also increased site-based donations by 54%. You can read the complete case study at http://www.berndtgroup.net/projects/portfolio/childrens-national-website- redesign-and-cms-implementation
86. BUT WILL IT WORK FOR ME? JUST A FEW NON-TECH BRANDS THAT TARGET Source: Forrester Research. November 10, 2014. Predictions 2015: Invest In Customer Insights To Activate Contextual Marketing
87. READY TO START? WHATS THAT? YOURE CONVINCED AND TOTALLY Just a few things to consider before you hurt yourself
88. YOU MAY STILL NEED SOME WORK IF BEST PRACTICES FOR WHEN YOURE READY
89. REMEMBER: IT DOESNT HAVE TO BE COMPLEX. QUESTION ANSWER Source: http://digitalmarketingmagazine.co.uk/articles/one-to-one-personalisation-will-boost-conversion-rates/646
90. AND YOU TOO CAN TAKE BACK TARGETED CONTENT FOR GOOD.
91. THANK YOU
92. DESIGNING EXPERIENCES FOR EMERGENT SITUATIONS CRISIS UX BY COLIN EAGAN, M.S. If you enjoyed this segment, please join us again Thursday at 9:00 for: !