The stakes have never been higher for these age old enemies as they battle for SharePoint 2010 supremacy in this no holds barred, grudge match. In SharePoint 2007, the admin blocked every attempt to deploy code, resulting in a decisive victory over dev. Dev, now leaner and stronger, is hungry and eagerly awaits this rematch on the SharePoint 2010 card. Fans wont be disappointed as these old rivals duke it out in this epic battle.
1. SharePoint 2010 Fight NightAdmin vs. Dev Referee: Mike Watson Senior Product Manager Quest Software
2. Referee Mike Watsons Credentials Creates third-party solutions for profit at Quest Software Created & established best practices for the Center of Excellence (CoE) at Microsoft Wrote and evaluated product guidance as a SharePoint Customer Advisory virtual Team member (CAT) Evaluated third-party solutions for SharePoint Online Contributes to articles, whitepapers, books, and co-authoring a book on SharePoint 2010
3. Agenda The 2007 Fight The SharePoint 2010 Rematch Whats new for Admin Whats new for Dev Conclusion Q&A
4. The 2007 Fight Developer Got too many requests to do common, simple stuff Suffered lack-luster docs Visual Studio integration was an afterthought Lots of manual effort Everything required server touch Everything required elevation Administrator Suffered lack-luster docs Had his/her hands full just trying to keep servers up Lots of manual effort Often handed code to run without any insight into what the code did Had no clue how code was affecting their environment Often had to say NO!
5. The 2010 Fight! The fighters learned new tricks
6. Whats New for Administrators
7. Command & Control Throttling Tell end users to leave you alone. Your busy! Large List controls tell end users theyre crazy trying to make that query, but admins, no problem! SharePoint designer maybe not Developer Dashboard Learn just how bad your developers are. Sandboxing More like prison for unsavory code. SQL Resource Governor The nuclear option!
8. Whats New for Developers
9. Capability & Flexibility More GUI capability Fewer assemblies SPDesigner Better and free-er than ever Developer Dashboard Devs, See just how bad you really are! Client-OM Access SharePoint via script w/o web services Sandboxing Deploy code without dreaded conversations with Administrators
10. Summary In SharePoint 2007 Dev lacked guidance and made a mess. Admin didnt have controls and blocked most Dev efforts In SharePoint 2010 Dev can get more done without ever talking to Admin Dev has better tools and guidance increasing Admin confidence Admin has more control than ever before
11. And the Winner by TKO is. The Business
12. What is Deployment Advisor? A tool created specifically to instill confidence in SharePoint, its administrators, their managers, and ultimately end users.
13. What is Deployment Advisor Specifically?
15. Extensible, Open, Community Driven
16. How Deployment Advisor Works
17. Benefits of Deployment Advisor
18. Licensing Licensed per front-end web server No license required for SQL Only monitors SQL servers containing SharePoint databases Value add: All Best practices, reporting, and maintenance No license required for Windows DA can scan/compare non-SharePoint servers, identify risks and report. All value add
19. www.SharePointMadScientist.com www.twitter.com/mikewat www.facebook.com/mikewat Locate me at:
20. Upcoming Events Tonight - #SharePint #ShareCurry Nottingham User Group Nov 26th - QuestWebParts Day Amsterdam Jan 18th- 19th - SharePoint Conference 2010 Amsterdam Feb 10th- 12th SPTechCon San Francisco Apr 19th 21st SharePoint Evolution London Apr 25th 28th TEC2010 Los Angeles http://www.sharepointmadscientist.com/Lists/Events/AllItems.aspx