- 1. Microsoft SharePoint Branding & Customization ~ Colombo .NET User Group (CDNUG) Chandana N. Athauda, [email_address] http://www.yeschandana.com
2. ~ Agenda~
- List of upcoming Sessions
- What is SharePoint Branding?
- Architecture of SharePoint Branding
- SharePoint Branding Options
- Developer Focused Customization
3. ~ Upcoming Sessions ~
- SharePoint Concepts: Web Content Management
- Before You Start - Requirements Gathering
- Getting to Know SharePoint Designer
- SharePoint Role-based site Templates
- SharePoint Site Definitions
- Applying What You Have Learned
There will be5Sessions with following topics. 4. ~ What is SharePoint Branding? ~
- Branding is how you apply an Organization's identity to an existing software application through customization of a (SharePoint) portal site.
- Traits or Characteristics
- SharePoint provides aWeb 2.0, multi- dimensional, dynamicbrand experience
6. ~ Why Brand? ~
- To establish corporate identity and ownership.
- To reinforce enterprise standards.
- To create a sense of place.
- *Any customization that goes beyond modifying the look and feel of the portal site is not considered branding.
7. ~ Typical Roles and Responsibilities in a SP project ~
- Implementation of HTML,Graphics and CSS
- Custom web part development
8. ~ Real World Examples ~
- SharePoint is a Microsoft Product. So, How far can we reach with SharePoint Customizations?
9. Hawaiian Airlines- http://www.hawaiianair.com/ 10. MIGROS- http://www.migros.ch 11. Hed Kandi - http://beta.hedkandi.com 12. MSW Microsoft for Web 13. Glu Mobile - http://www.glu.com 14. ~ Microsoft SharePoint Platform ~ 15. ~MicrosoftSharePoint Platform ~
- Intranets and Extranetsfocus on content and functionalityand might have different branding requirements
- Websiteshave a much larger focus on user experience
16. ~ How Branding plug in to the SharePoint Platform ~ Enterprise Content Management [ECM] Document Management Web Content Management [WCM] Records Management Forms Management Authoring Branding Publishing 17. ~ Web Content Management ~
- Author and publish content quickly and easily .Business groups can author and publish Web content in a timely manner with easy-to-use authoring tools and integrated workflows with minimal IT involvement.
- Maintain a consistent look and feel throughout your Web sites .Maintain consistency by providing approved master pages and page layouts that enable branding and navigation of the site to be specified once and reused by content authors.
- Lower deployment and management costs your Web sites .Implement a single multi-tier infrastructure for publishing content to intranet, extranet, and Internet sites.
18. ~ Tools for Branding ~
- Create/customize master pages, page templates, CSS
- Create new / modify existing sites
- Create SharePoint lists and libraries
- Visual Studio 2005 / 2008
- Build server controls, custom controls, web parts
- Develop pages with code behind
* Visual Studio 2010 will replace the much-derided SharePoint Designer, a descendant of MS FrontPage 19. ~ SharePoint Branding Options ~
- Out Of the Box Customization (OOB)
- Developer Focused Customization
20. ~ Out Of the Box Customization ~
- ~Out Of the Box customization means No Code Required ~
- Adding Web Parts and moving them from Zone to Zone
- Changing properties of Web Parts
- Adding Meta Data Columns to list or site
- Creating Sites, Web Part Pages
- Creating list or site templates
21. ~ Out Of the Box Customization ~
- Lower development and maintenance costs
- High quality, tested code
- Persistent user interface
22. ~ Developer focused Customization ~ 23. ~ Useful Links ~
24. Q & A 25. END