Founded in 1952Specialized in high precision gears for major aerospace guidance/navigation instrument manufacturers. Successfully matured to fully integrated engineering design and manufacturing company
1970 - 1980’sGlobal leadership in geared resolver position feedback transducers.Emphasis on machine tools and robotics industries.Expanded product line to provide medical and power transmission solutions.
1990’sRevolutionized motion control with introduction of True Planetary* gearheads .Joined Thomson Industries family in 1995.
“One Stop Shop” for precision linear and rotary motion control needs.2000’s
– Upgraded all True Planetary gearheads to be Redimount compliant– Over 50 years of manufacturing experience in Motion control products– Joined Danaher Motion in 2002 as COE of Gearing Technology.
Unmatched Product BreadthMicron manufactures the largest selection of Planetary Gearheads in the world. Over 1000 size and ratio combinations make Micron the gearhead of choice at both Distributors and OEMs.
The True Planetary AdvantageAll of the gearheads manufactured at Micron are 100% planetary for higher torque capacity and precision.
The Helical AdvantageMicron’s UltraTRUE design takes the Planetary advantage one step further. The gears are in a planetary orientation but are cut in a helical profile for not only higher torque and precision capabilities but smoother, quieter operation.
RediMount SystemMicron uses the most flexible mounting system in the world. The RediMount system is an error free, three step mounting system who’s modular design allows the gearhead to be stocked separately.
Fastest DeliveryMicron has 24 Hour delivery available through the Gearhead Express program on the most popular sizes and ratios. Standard Delivery is 1 week on in-line and 2 weeks on R/A
Ease of CustomizationAlthough Micron’s standard catalog product gives you over 1000 choices of sizes and ratios, we
do not stop there. We welcome modification requests to existing designs as well as “white sheet of paper” custom opportunities.
4 Available Frame Sizes• DT60, DT90, DT115 & DT142
RediMount* system accommodates any motorSelect Ratios in stock for 24 hr delivery (3:1, 5:1, 10:1, 15:1 & 30:1)Exact ratios from 3:1 to 100:18 arc-minutes of backlashLifetime lubricatedTrue Planetary Gearing90% efficiency1 Week Delivery
UT018 / UT022Helical Crowned True Planetary GearingRediMount system provides error free installation to any motor24 hour Delivery Available in select ratios for size 6, 7.5, 10 and 14 (5:1, 10:1, 25:1)Exact ratios from 4:1 to 100:14 arc-minutes of backlashLifetime lubricated92% efficiency1 Week Delivery
Helical Crowned True Planetary Gearing & PowerTRUE GearingRediMount system provides error free installation to any motorExact ratios from 1:1 to 50:14 arc-minutes of backlashLifetime lubricated95% efficiency2 Week Delivery
• Lubrication• Many of our competitors lubricate their gearheads with oil and require
maintenance. All of Micron Gearheads are lubricated for life with no maintenance required and no concern for leakage.
• Competitors that use oil: Alpha, Neugart and Bayside (PS/RS)
• Heat-Treat Process• Several of our competitors use a chemical heat-treat process called
plasma nitride that hardens the gears to a depth of .001”. Micron’s UltraTRUE and ValueTRUE gears are case hardened to HRC60 and have a hardness depth of .030”. That is 30 times that of the competition. Micron also re-machines those gears to eliminate any deformities caused by the heat-treat process. This would be impossible to do with a plasma nitride gear since the thin layer of hardness would be removed. This “hard shell” over a very soft gear will not hold up to the peak torque of a case hardened gear.
• Competitors that use plasma nitride: Apex, Bayside
• Superior Helix Angle• Micron’s UltraTRUE and ValueTRUE helical gears are cut at an angle of 15º.
All of our competitors that offer helical gearing cut their gears at an angle of 12º. Fact: The higher the helix angle, the more teeth in mesh at any given time. This 25% increase in the helix angle results in a 17-20% increase in torque capacity as well as smoother and quieter operation. This superior helix angle also offers over a 40% increase in torque capacity when compared to straight cut spur gears.
• Competitors that use a 12 degree helix angle: Alpha, Bayside, Apex, Stober• Competitors that use straight cut planetary gears: CGI, Gam, Neugart
• Mounting• All of Micron’s gearheads use the innovative RediMount system. The
RediMount is an easy, error free, three step mounting system whose modular design allows mounting kits to be changed in the field or stocked separately. Also, many competitors use only one screw to clamp to the motor shaft. The RediMount uses two screws for a higher clamping force and eliminating the concern for slippage.
• Competitors that have motor specific gearheads: Alpha, Bayside, Gam, Neugart, Stober, CGI
• Competitors that use only one screw to mount to the motor shaft: Alpha, Bayside, Apex, Gam, Neugart, Stober, CGI
• Output Bearing Design• For increased radial and axial load capacity, Micron’s UltraTRUE and
ValueTRUE use tapered roller bearings on the output shaft. Many competitors use ball bearings with much lower load capacity
• Competitors that use a ball bearing design: Bayside, Apex, Stober• Competitors that use tapered roller design with less spacing: Alpha (The
Micron spacing is almost double for maximum radial load capacity).
• Accuracy• While competitors will sometimes list lower backlash specifications in their
catalogs, all of Micron’s backlash specifications are guaranteed for the life of the gearhead at all points on the output shaft. Many competitors will use the average value of backlash, not the maximum.