Interactive Documentary: 10 Things I have Learned
Presentation I gave at X Media Lab in Lausanne, Switzerland on September 27th, 2013. Trying to sum up all the lessons I've learned working on the TFI New Media Fund and Tribeca Hacks in 10 points and 20 minutes. There were videos too. They were awesome.
- 1. @fromthehip Stories + Technology + Design 10 Things I Have Learned
- 2. Stories are important 1
- 3. I think stories are necessary, just as necessary as food and love. Its how we make meaning of our lives. - Chimamanda Ngochi Adichie
- 4. Tell me and I will forget, Show me and I may remember, Involve me and I will understand.
- 5. Technology has always changed how we see and talk about the world 2
- 6. Collaboration is hard 3
- 7. This slide was stolen from David Eads. Sorry David.
- 8. Agile Film User Soundtrack Code Edit Design Jump-cut GitHub Lens Iterative Close-up Sprint Blocking Front-end Frame Software Clip Bug-tracking Boom Dev Zoom RefactoringVerite
- 9. The audience are makers and the audience has an audience 4
- 10. ... fun things to do with the people formerly known as the audience
- 11. From this...
- 12. ...To This Hacker Activist Gamer Producer Inventor Blogger
- 13. Every time a new consumer joins this media landscape a new producer joins as well, because the same equipment - phones, computers - let you consume and produce. It's as if, when you bought a book, they threw in the printing press for free... - Clay Shirky, How Social Media Can Make History
- 14. Authorship vs Openness is a challenge 5
- 15. Authorship Openness
- 16. Fail Fast Forward 6
- 17. #tribecahacks
- 18. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/labs/i/ hazardoushospitals/
- 19. Transmedia can amplify local voices 7
- 20. http://www.dadaabstories.org/
- 21. http://beta.18daysinegypt.com/
- 22. Digital Access http://www.leagueofnannies.com/
- 23. User Experience Design is now part of what we do as storytellers 8
- 24. http://alma.arte.tv/en/
- 25. http://hollowthelm.com/
- 26. Stories can be both software and hardware 9
- 27. Stories as hardware
- 28. http://www.connectedsparks.com/
- 29. We need to show interactive work, not just talk about it 10
- 30. http://sandbox.tribecalminstitute.org/
- 31. Of course as I was giving this talk I thought of many more lessons Ive learned. Here are just a few. 11. Learn to listen. Storytelling is as much about listening as telling. 12. Make the interaction the story. For example the border in Gaza/Sderot: http://gaza-sderot.arte.tv/ 13. Be clear about your indicators for success. If you dont know what success means for your project, you may lose your way. 14. Sometimes you should just delight your audience. Give them things to do that make them feel wonderful.
- 32. Thank you Merci Ingrid Kopp @fromthehip www.tribecalminstitute.org