Valerio Aisa. Presentation at ICT for sustainable homes;, Nice 18.11.2010. The process of great transformation of the global energy system according to the concept of “smart grid” involves the direct collaboration of household appliances, in particular white goods, which, to this purpose, are becoming "smart" and are able to exchange information with digital power meters through suitable communication infrastructures. But, unfortunately, there still are objective problems relating to connectivity that hinder the rapid spread of these products. Wr@p technology, which Indesit has decided to liberalize through a new family of microcontrollers (RX200 family, 32 bit dedicated to smart appliances) of Renesas (Japan), has the aim to completely solve these problems. After signing a free licence agreement between Indesit Company and Renesas (29 March 2010), Wr@p technology (also known as "power modulation") can be freely used by manufacturers of household appliances without paying any royalties to Indesit.
- 1. How to accelerate the diffusion of smart appliances
Valerio Aisa Indesit Company Spa
2. Why it is necessary to speed-up the diffusion of smart appliances ?
According to the concept of smart grid, the management of electricity consumptions at home requires the presence of a new generation of appliances (smart appliances)
But the time required by the new generation of smart appliances for replacing all the products currently present in the homes is about ten years or more, so it is too long for properly supporting the parallel development of smart grids.
Thereforeitisnecessarytofind a way forspeeding up the diffusionofsmartappliances!
3. PastexperienceofIndesit(former Merloni Elettrodomestici)
The first system of smart appliances (network based on LonTalk)
4. Reasonswhy Ariston digital hasfailed
The great pioneering effort made by Indesit in the mid 90s, very appreciated also internationally, could not be finalized to the market for the following three main reasons:
1. Total lack of communication rules (at that time) shared by the various manufacturers of white goods
2. Absence of broadband athome(Internet penetration in the homes relates to recent years and is still in progress)
3. Excessive cost of the connectivity
STILL TO SOLVE !
A. Using a communicationnode inside the appliance
B. Adding a connectordedicatedtoconnectivity
C. Using the electronicsalreadypresent inside the appliance
WRAP = Web ReadyAppliancesProtocol
6. Why the introduction of a communication node within a household appliance is still a problem ?
Cost of the communication node itself
- It is compatible only with high-end products (niches)
Cost for installing the communication node within the appliance
- Its installation would be done on the production line (but actually it is a very complex operation!)
Cost for adapting the appliance to receive thecommunication node
- Mechanical changes: specific positioning of the node
7. Electrical changes: extra cables and connectors 8. Electronic changes: upgrading the electronic control boardCost for the maintenance of the communication node
- This operation must be done by an authorized technician
BasicconceptofWr@pTechnology (or PowerModulation)
The appliance communicates by using its digital control system: no added cost!
A specificsiliconperipheral, developedby Indesit thanksto the help ofUniversityof Parma (prof. Ciampolinis team), hasbeenimplementedbyJapaneseRenesas (Hitachi, Mitsubishi, Nec).
March 29th, 2010:
Indesit and Renesas have signeda non-exclusive royalty-free license agreement
Service / Control
10. Wr@p Technology main features
No cost for the manufacturer of household appliances
No need to tie the appliance to a specific network protocol
Fully suitable for interacting with a smart grid (Demand Side Management, Multiply tariff management, Dynamic Demand Control, Energy Monitoring)
Capability to easily perform the energy function called Dynamic Demand Control
Very easy to implement (peripheral for microcontrollers)
Capability to speed up the diffusion of smart appliances
Suitable for creating a new generation of smart plugs & smart sockets
Enabling new high level services(remote assistance, preventive maintenance)
The appliance can be easily tested during its production without requiring complex and expensive testing tools
No conflict with a possible communication node within a Wr@p enabled white good
11. Capability to easily perform the energy function called Dynamic Demand Control
PMI continuously measures the period of AC power supply and generates a DDC interrupt when the measured value is below or above two predefined thresholds (programmable)
The appliances control system will manage the DDC interrupt by using a specific algorithm which executes DDC function without affecting the correct working of the appliance itself
12. The appliance can beeasilytestedduringitsproduction
withoutrequiringcomplex and expensivetestingtools
The possibilitytodialogthroughitspowercableallows the appliancetobeeasilytestedduringthe production withoutrequiringcomplex and expensivetestingtools
Indesit approachto smartappliances
1.First step, suitablefor high-end products
1.Secondstep, suitablefor the entire production
WRAP = Web ReadyAppliancesProtocol
Shouldyouhavequestions or need more details?