1. SPO3378How a Cloud ComputingProvider Reached theHoly Grail of VisibilityElad Gotfrid, CloudShareLeena Joshi, Splunk Inc #vmworldsponsor
2. How A Cloud Computing Provider Reached the Holy Grail of Visibility SPO3378 Elad Gotfrid Director of IT @ CloudShare Leena Joshi Director, Solutions Marketing, SplunkCONFIDENTIAL
3. Company Overview About: Headquartered in San Mateo, CA Founded in 2007 70,000+ users worldwide Backed by leading VCs: Sequoia, CRV, Globespan, Gemini The Leading Cloud for Pre-Production Focus on Dev/Test/Pre Production Segment Many Fortune 500 customers including: McAfee, HP, SAP, Cisco, Dell , Microsoft , IBM , Juniper 40% of Microsoft SharePoint MVPs and MCMs already adopted CloudShare for development, testing and training3 | CONFIDENTIAL
4. Company Platform Benefits CloudShare IAAS (infrastructure as a service) platform grants each customer his own private multi-VM networked environment including compute resources, networking, IP, Preinstalled OS.4 | CONFIDENTIAL
5. CloudShare Operations Overview CloudShare platform is designed to handle high load: Running 150,000 Customer Virtual Machines per month During peak hours our system perform ~500 VM Resume/Suspend operations in an hour Robust dynamic assignment of infrastructure resources including: ESX Server Storage units Firewall Switches VLANs Public IPs5 | CONFIDENTIAL
6. CloudShare Custom Cloud CloudShare uses its own patent pending Backend private cloud system designed to handle all virtual machine and datacenter life cycle: Environments operation Environment lifecycle Self healing & Error correction Resource management Manage large scale infrastructure: 15 VMware Virtual Centers 20 storage units Hundreds of switch ports/Gateway configuration6 | CONFIDENTIAL
7. IT/Operations Challenges Looking for a centralized console for complete IT/Operations visibility Business Requirements: Aggregate all IT/Infrastructure data into a single console Data Aggregation Correlate business data with performance/application data Data Correlation Analyze and search the data Data Find patterns and correlation between events Analysis7 | CONFIDENTIAL
8. The Trick Is Finding a Way to Interact8 | CONFIDENTIAL
9. Enter Splunk Evaluated Splunk for a narrow use initially Quickly realized it could do a lot more Eventually standardized on it9 | CONFIDENTIAL
10. Splunk Collects and Indexes Any Machine Data Customer Outside the Facing Data DatacenterClick-stream data Manufacturing, logisticsShopping cart data CDRs & IPDRsOnline transaction data Power consumption Logfiles Configs Messages Traps Metrics Scripts Changes Tickets RFID data Alerts GPS dataWindows Linux/Unix Virtualization Applications Databases Networking & Cloud Registry Configurations Web logs Configurations Configurations Event logs syslog Hypervisor Log4J, JMS, JMX Audit/query logs syslog File system File system Guest OS, Apps .NET events Tables SNMP sysinternals ps, iostat, top Cloud Code and scripts Schemas netflowCopyright 2012, Splunk Inc. 10 Listen to your data.
11. Splunk Collects and Indexes Any Machine Data Customer Outside the Facing Data DatacenterClick-stream data Manufacturing, logisticsShopping cart data Any amount, any location, any source CDRs & IPDRsOnline transaction data Power consumption Logfiles No upfront schema Configs Messages Traps Metrics Scripts Changes Tickets RFID data No custom connectors Alerts GPS data No RDBMSWindows Linux/Unix Virtualization Applications Databases Networking & Cloud Registry Configurations Web logs Configurations Configurations Event logs syslog Hypervisor Log4J, JMS, JMX Audit/query logs syslog File system File system Guest OS, Apps .NET events Tables SNMP sysinternals ps, iostat, top Cloud Code and scripts Schemas netflowCopyright 2012, Splunk Inc. 11 Listen to your data.
12. Turn Machine Data Into Operational Intelligence Machine Data Operational Intelligence Business Insights Gain real-time insight from your machine data to make better-informed business decisions. Operational Visibility Gain operational visibility to make better-informed IT decisions. Proactive Monitoring Monitor infrastructure to identify issues, problems and attacks before they impact your customers and services. Search and Investigation Find and fix problems across the organization using machine data.Copyright 2012, Splunk Inc. 12 Listen to your data.
13. A Single Solution for Operational Intelligence Single Data Store Single UI Across Use Cases Three Primary Capabilities Search/ Real-time Historical Navigation Visibility Analytics Data drilldown Live dashboards Baseline and thresholds Needle in a haystack Event correlation Trending Root cause analysis / Monitoring and alerting Operational insights troubleshooting Performance issues Historical patterns Incident investigations Transaction levels Compliance reports SLA trackingCopyright 2012, Splunk Inc. 13 Listen to your data.
14. Create and Share Dashboards in Minutes Auditors IT Executives Marketing & Business Analysts Other Executives & Business Owners Deliver new levels of visibility and insight for IT and the business from operational dataCopyright 2012, Splunk Inc. 14 Listen to your data.
15. Splunk Adoption Splunk adoption was IT and R&D driven: From hundreds of daily e-mail alerts to few actionable email alerts Massive use in QA for finding anomalies and issues Dashboards for: Performance trends Current system status Capacity planning Root cause analysis Business metrics Viral adoption within the organization. From DevOps to IT, R&D, Marketing and Management15 | CONFIDENTIAL
16. Splunk As a Data Aggregator App IIS Google VMware Docs Backend SQL data Network/ Storage GWs/FW API Actions Incident Salesforce Management16 | CONFIDENTIAL
17. Splunk As a Central Platform in CloudShare Support/NOC: IT/Ops: R&D: Management: Marketing: Performance Capacity Debug / Error SLA Tracking Visits, data IT Planning Operations logsSecurity Compliance Leads, Deals, BI (Cohort Usage patterns System Alerts Performance Health analysis, Support/ Monitoring measurements dashboards) Qualifying leads NOC: System Perform Usage A/B Testing ance Data Logs System Alerts Developer Framework17 | CONFIDENTIAL
18. Splunk Provides Operational Intelligence Allows CloudShare to correlate the business data (Users, Usage) with the IT/Infrastructure data Examples : Understand how much resources each customer consumes (CPU, Memory, Network, etc) and when Customer can have more than 1 VM or environment, Splunk helps us aggregate the data easily and look at the customer level usage18 | CONFIDENTIAL
19. Splunk Dashboards Management Dashboard full visibility to business critical Metrics SLA Dashboards - Measure service level - Analyze and present statistics according to business guidelines Capacity Planning - High Level status for management on capacity - True visibility into operational data19 | CONFIDENTIAL
20. Splunk Dashboards Dashboard for high utilization storage consumers: All storage related data is collected by splunk List of number of IOPS per business unit or customer...