Want to explode your web site traffic, engage your visitors and drive more sales? You may have heard that SEO copywriting - also called "writing for search engines" - is the secret to getting better search rankings. In the past, you may have thought this process was too technical to learn and outsourced your SEO copy needs. But now you can do it yourself - even if you're an "SEO newbie." New content optimization tools and strategies can help you create content that is both easier to discover by search engines and more compelling to read for your visitors.
- 1.7 Steps to SEO Copywriting Success Does Access to SEO Keyword Intelligence Make You a More Effective Writer? Heather Lloyd-Martin,CEO, SuccessWorks Pelin Thorogood, Managing Partner Schulman+Thorogood Group
2. The Speakers Heather Lloyd-Martinis a 20-year marketing veteran, a recognized author and considered the pioneer of SEO copywriting as profiled in the bookOnline Marketing Heroes .She is nominated for the Top Woman in SEO, 2012 award. Pelin Thorogoodis a new media marketer and entrepreneur, and was recently named one of the 20 Women to Watch in sales lead management. Pelin serves as a virtual Entrepreneur-in-Residence at Cornell's Johnson Graduate School of Management. . @heatherlloyd @pelint 3. Why care about content? 4. The Importance of SEO Content Keyphrase research Quality content Quality incoming links SEO sweet spot 5. The importance of SEO content How the text is written can have a tremendous impact on search positions and conversions It s not enough to just have content, or stick keyphrases in copy. 6. Your main advantage
7. Step #1-Who Are You? 8. How well should you know your target audience? 9. Write for therightaudience How can you write effective copy if you don t know whoyou re writing it for...? Consider: - Who is your target audience (hint: it s not everyone. ) - Do you have multiple target audiences? - How old is your typical buyer/reader? - What level of education have they reached? - What are their average income levels? - What benefits are important to them? - What are their hopes, fears and desires? 10. 11. Step #2: WIIFM? 12. How to show WIIFM - What are the benefits of working with you - and why are those benefits important to your target audience? - What specific objections do you have to overcome? - What is your competition doing and how do you position your company within your local or national marketplace? - What tone and feel should you use to resonate with your audience? How you say what you say is extremely important 13. Let s compare: Quicken 14. Mint.com 15. Step #3: Be a content psychic 16. Want to get inside your customer s heads? Keyphrase research helps you understand whatinformation people are searching for and what questions they have. 17. Look for opportunities to build out new, unique content 18. 19. Articles become part of resource center. New articles - with product links - featured in monthly newsletter - driving traffic back to the site 20. Step #4: Free yourself from fake rules 21. Party like it s 1999... but don t optimize your site that way 22. General SEO content rules
- Keyphrases in headlines and subheadlines
- Keyphrases throughout the content
- Focus around 2-3 keyphrases per page
23. Step #5: Make your Titles sizzle off the SERP 24. Think of Titles like headlines 25. Title structure
- Write your Title like a headline. Think clickability
- Try to keep your Titles to around 65 characters (with spaces)
- Include your main keyphrases within the Title
- Clearly explain what the landing page is about
- Include benefit statements (such as free shipping ) whenever possible
- Local? Experiment with including your phone #
26. Step #6: Control what you can control 27. Beware the Website mullet Check for outdated copy.Worst offenders: - Press pages - Conference/events pages - Product pages - Old articles that are obviously outdated Set up an editorial plan to update the old copy. 28. Step #7: Follow the SEO copywriting checklist 29. 5-W s and 1 H of SEO copywriting
- WHO does the writing (new SEO copywriters need tools and training!)
- WHAT pages need to be rewritten (create an editorial calendar.)
- WHERE does the budget/time come from (good writing costs time and money.)
- WHY don t you look at other opportunities (Twitter, blogs.)
- WHEN are you uploading new pages/making changes. Set deadlines.
- HOW will you know if it works (conversion testing.)
30. Thank you! Want more SEO copywriting goodness? SEOcopywriting.com 31. Questions? Here s how to reach me Heather Lloyd-Martin CEO, SuccessWorks SEOCopywriting.com [email_address] Twitter: @heatherlloyd 32. The Impact of Real-Time Content Optimization: Does Access to Search & Social Intelligence Make You a More Effective Writer? Pelin Thorogood Schulman+Thorogood Group 33. The Question
- If a writer has real-time, easy access to intelligence on topics of interest to their readers, based on the words and phrases these readers use while searching or sharing, can he or she create online content that is easier to discover and more compelling to read?
34. The Participants
- Ebeanstalk.comis an online toy retailer
- Link Orbitis a new blog network
- Convince & Convertis a popular social media blog written primarily by Jay Baer (who is also a co-author of the study).
35. Focus Focus Focus!
- If keyword focus is one of the most important things in online writing, how is a writer to determine which words to focus on?
- How content optimization tools help: Get real-time access to your customers (or rather, your prospects) words to help you craft your content.
36. Choose the Right Keywords
- Your focus terms you select should be in line with your content strategy.
- Optimize for search popularity
- Optimize to avoid competition
- How content optimization tools help: No need to be an SEO expert! These tools automatically rank and organize your virtual thesaurus based on your stated content strategy.
37. Use the Right Number of Keywords in the Right Places
- Engaging content not only requires the use of the right words but also the right structure.
- How content optimization tools help: The new generation of content optimization tools provides real-time coaching, so you know where and how often to use your focus terms.
38. The Results
- Significant and consistent impact on content reach and engagement:
- Traffic from search engines increased 30%+ and the improved content relevance led readers to spend 100% or more time on page.
- Even paid search impressions increased dramatically despite no change to paid search budgets since optimized landing pages matched the purchased search phrases with greater specificity!
- Tapping into SEO Keyword intelligence during the content creation process appears to have a significant and consistent impact on reach (improved search engine results for both organic and PPC), while also increasing reader engagement and conversion with improved content relevance.
- Online content development is poised to change fundamentally:Whether writing a blog post, updating a web site, creating new landing page copy, or crafting a press release, easy, real-time access to search and social intelligence on their readers can enableanywriter - regardless of level of SEO sophistication - to develop content that is both more discoverable online and more compelling to read.
40. www.schulmanthorogoood.com @stgroup