2. What is Diversity? The concept of diversity encompasses acceptance and respect. It means understanding that each individual is unique, and recognizing our individual differences. These can be along the dimensions of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious beliefs, political beliefs, or other ideologies. It is the exploration of these differences in a safe, positive, and nurturing environment. It is about understanding each other and moving beyond simple tolerance to embracing and celebrating the rich dimensions of diversity contained within each individual. http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~asuomca/diversityinit/definition.html
3. The Faces of Diversity
4. Recognition and celebration of diversity empowers students, strengthens their connection to the learning environment and promotes their ownership of the learning process.
5. Intolerance and prejudice result often from lack of knowledge and apprehension over the lack of familiarity....so....what better way to stop the intolerance than by teaching the appropriate behavior???? Response to Intolerance
6. Have the students have lunch together for one week and return with 10 facts they discovered about the other child Discuss difference and commonalities in a joint project to be presented to the class Peer mediation/conflict resolution Family meetings (restorative justice) Detention, suspension, or citation Response to Intolerance
7. Support Programs * Positive Behavior reinforcement * Bully/Victim Support groups * Peer Intervention groups * Daily Message: You were meant to do wonderful things this day...go out and do all those wonderful things that you were destined to do!