Here is a 'quickie' India Elections Quiz, set and presented on the day the 2014 Lok Sabha results were declared. The target audience was an Indian expat gathering in Hong Kong, who obviously were happy with the results, irrespective of their own political affiliations. What else can you expect from a capitalistic bunch of investment bankers and the like! The suit the mood, the quiz is also superficial and is a dipstick of the mood of the country and the quizzers. It is also not very original and has borrowed liberally from other quizzes, typically stuff in the public domain.
Elections 2014Coming Events Caste their Shadow before
Watching the Lotus Bloom
Identify the celebrity candidate.
1) AAP Chandigarh Miss India2) TMC Darjeeling Jhalak Dikhla Jaa winner3) BJP Sreerampur (WB) Nanha Shikari4) Congress Phulpur Katrina’s inspiration5) TMC Bankura Sreemati Dev Varma6) Congress Jaunpur (UP) Bhojpuri Spiderman7) BJP Ghaziabad born 10 May 19518) AAP Mumbai NE Former TISS faculty
1) AAP Chandigarh
• Gul Panag
4) Congress Phulpur
5) TMC Bankura
• Moon Moon Sen
6) Congress Jaunpur
• Ravi Kishan
7) BJP Ghaziabad
• Gen VK Singh
8) AAP Mumbai NE
• Medha Patkar
• What unprecedented event will these two be part of on May 21, 2014?
• Only the second mother to watch her son become prime minister of India (After Devegowda)
• This is Mahant Bharatdas, a school dropout, who lives in the hamlet of Banej in the Gir National Forest. Why is he called India’s most privileged voter?
• The only voter in the polling booth setup in Banej (manned by 5 officers). He has voted every time!
• The Legislative Assembly of this state has 111 seats of which 24 seats are kept officially vacant as per Section 48 of the state constitution.
• Which state and why this curious configuration?
• J&K– These seats are designated for the territorial
constituencies of the state that lies in Pakistan-administered Kashmir.
• In February 1988 what happened for the first
and only time in Indian electoral history in the
Meghalaya assembly election featuring Roster
Sangma of Congress and the Independent
• The result was a tie with 2591 votes for each candidate.
• The returning officer invoked Section 65 and Marak was declared winner on the toss of a coin!
A popular slogan during the 1998 elections,
“Hai re Lucknow kya hua teri shaan ko, Ek brahmachari ke khilaaf khada kar diya Umrao Jaan ko”.
Which two political opponents are being described here?
• AB Vajpayee & Muzaffar Ali
• Who was the richest contestant in the 2014 elections – his declared wealth was nearly 8 times the next richie rich?
• Nandan Nilekani
• Which is the only national political party in India to have contested all the general elections on the same electoral symbol?
• This party was founded in 1925 in Kanpur.
•This is Parasakthi, the debut film of Sivaji Ganesan and a trendsetting Tamil movie. •Who wrote the screenplay and the dialogues for the
• After the Supreme Court verdict of 27 September 2013, India became the 14th country to adopt this practice.
• This is an improvement over the earlier practice under Section 49 (O) of the Conduct of Elections Rules, 1961.
• Jaspal Bhatti’s wife Savita floated a party inspired by this.
• What are we talking about?
• This prominent Indian politician has
represented both the Cola companies Pepsico & Coca Cola in different cases as an advocate.
• He contested the elections for the first time in 2014 but lost, thus putting a question mark on his ministerial aspirations.
• He attended St. Columba's School, Delhi before entering The Doon School.
• He worked at the Monitor Group, a management consulting firm in London, before establishing the Mumbai–based technology outsourcing firm, Backops Services Private Ltd.
• An IIT Kanpur – IIM Ahmedabad graduate and Eisenhower Fellow, Prem Das Rai is the first IIT-IIM graduate to be a Lok Sabha MP.
• He is the lone MP from his party and all set to win this time.
• Name the party he represents and the state he belongs to.
• Sikkim Democratic front, Sikkim
What is happening?
• BP Mandal giving the report on SC-ST upliftment made by the commission named after him to Gyani Zail Singh, the President.
The founder of this company was in the news beginning of this year. How?
• Lagadapati Rajagopal is the founder. He was the MP who used a pepper spray in Parliament protesting over Telengana issue.
• He is supposed to have quit politics since.
• One of the big winners of this election, he operated a boutique, the Psychedelhi, at the Oberoi Hotel with Martand Singh in the 1960s.
• The clientele included the Beatles and it ended up supplying clothes to such London outlets as Mr. Fish and Annacat. It also led to an association with Diana Vreeland, then editor of Vogue.
The gentleman in the picture was a polymath who has an equation, an institute in Kolkata and a hostel at IIT KGP named after him. He prepared the original plan for the Damodar Valley Project. In the first Lok Sabha election, he won from the Dumdum constituency as an independent. Name him.
• Meghnad Saha (Saha-Langmuir equation, Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics)
• Gilani in Pakistan. Mayawati in up - 5 year terms in 2013 2012
• Completion of 1st 5-year terms:– Gilani in Pakistan– Mayawati in UP
• Who was the first member of the Nehru-Gandhi family to contest and win an election from Rae Barely in 1952?
Which former IAS officer and a black belt judoka had a famous run-in with Modi in the early years of the 21st Century?Modi used to call him by his full name to highlight the fact that he was a Christian.
JM LyngdohHe was the Chief Election Commissioner of India from 2001 to 2004, recipient of Ramon Magsaysay Award for Public Service in 2003.
• What were the election symbols for the Pakistani political partiesa) Tehreek-i-Insaf (led by Imran Khan)b) Tehreek-e-Tahaffuz-e-Pakistan (led by AQ Khan)
in the Pakistan general elections that were held in 2013?
Rath Yatras - 1
• The rath yatra is now a standard mode of elections campaigns in India with several leaders choosing this mass contact programme to win over the electorate.
• Who undertook the pioneering ‘rath yatra’ which besides catapulting him to power also entered the ‘Guinness Book of Records’?
Rath Yatras - 2
• Who was the charioteer when Advani did his rath yatra?
• “Three AKs — AK-47, AK Antony and AK-49 (Arvind Kejriwal) — had emerged as Pakistan commanders on the Indian side”, Modi said at a poll rally in Jammu’s Hiranagar, barely 5km from Pakistan border.
• What was the AK-49 in his speech?
• Arvind Kejriwal’s 49 days as Delhi CM.
• This company was established in 1937 by Nalwadi Krishnaraja Wadiyar and is currently state-owned. It is the largest producer in Asia of a certain product that it started making in 1962, that has been used successfully by over a billion people, and is exported to several developing countries in Asia and Africa. The product has a very short shelf life and is therefore made-to-demand.
• Identify the company and product.
• Mysore Paints and Varnishes Private Ltd. (MPVPL) makes the indelible election ink.
• He holds the record of winning every election he has contested in his entire political career.
• He named one of his sons, born on March 1st, 1953, after a famous world leader who died just four days later, on March 5th.
• Name both father and son, very much in the news in victory and defeat.
• M. KARUNANIDHI AND M.K. STALIN
Election of a different kind!
• There was only one vote against Mother Teresa in the election of Superior General in the Missionaries of Charity in 1989. Who cast the vote against her?
• Mother Teresa herself.
Name the comic book from where this is extracted?