1. Social Media Insights for Decision MakersSocialMediaInsights: HowDigitalMarketers EngageonTwi9er AspecialreportfromLeadtail incollabora@onwith:@Leadtail and @BestB2BSocial
2. Introduc@on Despite all the technology available, your ability to reach, engage, and influence digital marketers is still limited. While buyer personas, surveys, and search marketing data can get you in the ballpark, we believe social media insights are now a must-have for understanding these decision makers in a way that becomes truly actionable. With that in mind, we developed this report: How Digital Marketers Engage on Twitter, by using Leadtails Social Media Insights technology to analyze data from Twitter. We also leveraged NetBases Social Intelligence Platform to gain insights into some of the consumer brands that digital marketers engage with often. The goal of this special report is to help you answer questions such as: }How do digital marketers describe themselves on the Social Web?}Which social networks are digital marketers active on?}What topics are they talking about?}Which media sources are these marketing professionals consuming and sharing?}Who are the most influential people, brands, and publications with digital marketers?Armed with these social media insights, you can now take a more informed look at your strategy for reaching, engaging, and influencing digital marketing professionals, and getting them to take the actions you care about most. 2!Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!
3. MethodologyandDataSet The methodology the Leadtail team used to create this report: 1.Identify digital marketers active on social media based on criteria such as job title, type of company, location etc., to create the target audience data set.2.Use the Leadtail Social Media Insights technology to extract insights around key social media activities, such as what links are shared, who is mentioned and retweeted, popular hashtags, popular platforms used to share content, etc.3.Review, analyze, and package these insights into this report.The specific data set analyzed for this report is comprised of: }515 North American digital marketers active on Twitter during the report period}Includes brand, corporate, and agency marketers responsible for digital and/or social marketing programs}Total of 143,856 tweets, and 69,657 shared links}Total follower reach: 2,418,293; median # of followers per marketer: 891}Tweets published between April 1, 2013 June 30, 20133!Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers! !
4. KeyTakeaways }Digital marketers are leaders and innovators when it comes to adopting and deploying social media and other forms of emerging media they are the trendsetters}National and local events and topics capture their attention so playing off current news and events is a good way to engage digital marketers}For many digital marketers, consuming and interacting with Mainstream Media is directly part of their job so dont underestimate its ability to reach and engage this highly coveted target audience}While old and new media publishers have the strongest foothold with digital marketers, some consumer brands like Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, and American Airlines are gaining traction by using social media}Certain publications, brands, and people are highly influential with digital marketers these are good starting points for building brand awareness with these trend-setting marketers4!Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!
5. WhoAreTheseDigitalMarketers?5!Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!
6. WhereAreTheyLocated? Our digital marketers sample comes from North America - primarily the U.S.6!Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers! !Based on the location provided in the Twitter profile.
7. HowDoTheyDescribeThemselves? The way these marketing professionals describe themselves on Twitter reveals keywords that can help you reach and engage them across the Social Web.7!Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!Based on keywords used in the Twitter profile.
8. WhatDoTheyTalkAbout? Hashtags reveal the topics and events, big and small, national and local, that captured the attention of these marketing professionals during the report period.8!Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!
9. WhichSocialNetworksAreTheyAc@veOn? 100%Twitter 52%Instagram 34%foursquare 27%Vine25%LinkedIn 9%Spotify GetGlue6%Pinterest6%Tumblr5%Facebook4%Triberr2%Path2%Yelp2%Quora1%Untappd1%Pandora1%In addition to Twitter, digital marketing pros are active on a number of other social networks, many of which cross post content to Twitter. The most popular networks with digital marketers are dominated by media-centric platforms like Instagram, Vine, Spotify, GetGlue, Pinterest, and Tumblr. % of Digital Marketers that shared between this network + Twitter during the report period.9!Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!
10. HowDoDigitalMarketersEngagewith ContentonTwi9er?10!Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!
11. WhatApps+PlaLormsDriveTwi9erSharing? The vast majority of our digital marketers use Twitters web interface and the distributed Tweet button, and more than 1 in 5 use social media management tools like Hootsuite and Tweetdeck. 81%Twitter.com Website77%Tweet Button29%HootSuite25%LinkedIn20%TweetDeck11%Buffer Spotify6%Twitter for Mac5%Tumblr5%Paper.li4%Pinterest4%Facebook4%Google4%feedly3%Vizify3% % of Digital Marketers that published at least 1 tweet from this platform during the report period.11!Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!
12. WhichApps+PlaLormsDriveMobileTwi9erSharing? With built-in social sharing provided as part of the operating system, its no surprise that iOS apps are the most popular way for digital marketers to share content to Twitter when on the go. 66%Twitter for iPhone52%Instagram32%foursquare30%Twitter for iPad25%Vine iOS15%Safari on iOS15%Twitter for Android14% 12%Camera on iOS11%Flipboard10%Photos on iOS10%Twitter Mobile Web GetGlue.com Tweetbot for iOS Echofon6% 4% 3% % of Digital Marketers that published at least 1 tweet from this platform during the report period.12!Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!
13. WhatTypesofContentDoTheyShare? Mainstream media sites are the most common type of content shared by digital marketers. The majority of mainstream media content shared is news, business, and strategy focused typically covering broad issues and trends. Industry media plays an important role in defining the conversations digital marketing professionals have with each other, their internal teams, and ultimately clients and customers. Many of these publications feature submissions from marketing thought leaders and experts, and have robust email and social media distribution that keeps their content in front of this audience every day.Tools (e.g. Feedly)1%eCommerce (e.g. Amazon, iTunes)2% Social Media 17%Mainstream Media 45%Industry Media 35%The social/user generated media category for digital marketing professionals includes everything from insightful slideshows on content curation, to cheering on our favorite sports teams and passing on breaking news. The chart to the right shows the breakdown of shared content by type. 13!Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!% of 100 Most Popular Shared Content Sources
14. WhatAretheMostSharedMainstreamSources? Following are the Top 25 Mainstream Media Content Sources shared by digital marketers during the report period, based on the number of unique marketers that shared each source.1.Forbes2.Huffington Post3.New York Times11.13. 14. 15.4.BuzzFeed5.Fast Company16.6.Wall St. Journal7.HBR Blogs8.Wired9.Inc.17. 18. 19. 20. 21. 22. 23. 24.10. CNN 14!12.25.Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!CNET News Guardian UK Washington Post USA Today The Atlantic Gizmodo NPR Fast Co Create Entrepreneur Google WSJ Blogs Businessweek CNN Money Fast Co Design Gawker
15. WhatAretheMostSharedIndustrySources? Following are the Top 25 Industry Media Content Sources shared by digital marketers during the report period, based on the number of unique marketers that shared each source.1.Mashable2.TechCrunch3.Business Insider11.4.Advertising Age5.Ad Week13. 14. 15. 16. 17.6.All Things D7.VentureBeat8.Social Media Today9.The Next Web18. 19. 20. 21. 22. 23. 24.10. MediaPost 15!12.25.Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!The Verge Digiday Read Write Web Hubspot Blog Search Engine Land Marketing Land BizJournals GigaOM Mediabistro PR Daily Social Media Examiner Marketing Profs AllFacebook eMarketer Search Engine Watch
16. WhatAretheMostSharedSocialSources? Following are the Top 15 Social Media Content Sources shared by digital marketers during the report period, based on the number of unique marketers that shared each source.1.YouTube2.Instagram3.Foursquare11. 12. 13.15.4.Vine5.LinkedIn6.Facebook7.Twitter (Photos)8.SlideShare9.TwitPic10. Pinterest 16!14.Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!Paper.li Vimeo Spotify Kickstarter Soundcloud
17. WhichBrandsandPeopleAreMost Inuen@alwithDigitalMarketers?17!Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!
18. WhoDoDigitalMarketersRetweettheMost? There is persistent myth in social media that content is retweeted because the reader likes it. While that is certainly the case some of the time, there is one less obvious but profound reason why people retweet. They think: My followers will like this. Whether its because its timely, provocative, or topical - who gets retweeted is a reflection of what people believe their own social audience will find relevant. This word cloud shows the people retweeted most by digital marketers during the report period.18!Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!
19. WhoDoDigitalMarketersRetweettheMost? Following are the Top 25 People Most Retweeted by digital marketers during the report period.*1.@barackobama2.@jowyang3.@darrenrovell11. 12. 13.4.@guykawasaki5.@jack14. 15. 16. 17.6.@dannysullivan7.@jeffbullas8.@billclinton9.@corybooker18. 19. 20. 21. 22. 23. 24.10. @kimgarst25.@ariannahuff @briansolis @jaybaer @buzzfeedandrew @augieray @tedrubin @valaafshar @antderosa @garyvee @brainpicker @steveology @adamkmiec @petershankman @prsarahevans @markraganceo* Based on unique # of digital marketers that retweeted the person. Ties were broken using Klout score followed by # of followers. 19!Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!
20. WhoDoDigitalMarketersMen@ontheMost? Another measure of influence is how often a person is mentioned. Mentioning a person by name can mean a few different things in social media: giving credit to someone for an idea or piece of content being shared, engaging someone directly in conversation, or giving a shout-out to a person youve recently met. In any context, being mentioned is a sign that a person is an active part of the social conversation, and those mentioned most are the people youll find at the center of engaging conversations between digital marketers. This word cloud shows the people mentioned most by digital marketers during the report period. 20!Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!
21. WhoDoDigitalMarketersMen@onMost? Following are the Top 25 People Most Mentioned by digital marketers during the report period.*1.@jaybaer2.@tedrubin3.@garyvee4.@jeffbullas5.@barackobama11. 12. 13. 14. 15. 16. 17. 18.6.@jowyang7.@chrisbrogan8.@briansolis9.@kimgarst23.10. @cc_chapman24.19. 20. 21. 22.25.@pammktgnut @shellykramer @guykawasaki @dannysullivan @darrenrovell @dickc @mitchjoel @markwschafer @aaronstrout @hillaryclinton @marissamayer @davekerpen @jack @ekaterina @ambercadabra* Based on unique # of digital marketers that mentioned the person. Ties were broken using Klout score followed by # of followers. 21!Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!
22. WhichBrandsDoDigitalMarketersRetweetMost? As social media continues to reshape how we communicate, the line between publishers and brands continues to blur. Consumer and business brands, all need to think (and act!) like publishers - or said another way, brands need to create and share content that is highly relevant and engaging for their target audience, or lose out to competitors that do. So which brands are doing the best job creating the kind of content that engages digital marketing professionals and inspires them to pass that content on to their social networks? This word cloud shows the brands retweeted most by digital marketers during the report period.22!Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!
23. WhatBrandsDoDigitalMarketersRetweetMost? Following are the Top 25 Brands Most Retweeted by digital marketers during the report period.*1.@mashable2.@fastcompany3.@techcrunch4.@boston_police5.@nytimes11. 12. 13. 14. 15. 16. 17.6.@huffingtonpost7.@buzzfeed8.@wsj9.@ap18. 19. 20. 21. 22. 23. 24.10. @adage25.@socialmedia2day @forbes @bostonglobe @harvardbiz @adweek @theonion @thenextweb @inc @hubspot @wired @cnet @bostondotcom @emarketer @espn @time* Based on unique # of digital marketers that retweeted the brand. Ties were broken using Klout score, followed by # of followers. 23!Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!
24. WhichBrandsDoDigitalMarketersMen@onMost? Looking at which brands digital marketers mention on Twitter can give us yet another perspective on the forces that shape their views on products, services, and industry trends. Interestingly, this is also where we begin to see consumer brands (e.g., @Starbucks, @AmericanAir) that have embraced social as a key touchpoint with their customers. This word cloud shows the brands mentioned most by digital marketers during the report period.24!Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!
25. WhichBrandsDoDigitalMarketersMen@onMost? Following are the Top 25 Brands Most Mentioned by digital marketers during the report period.*1.@mashable2.@youtube3.@techcrunch4.@nytimes5.@twitter11. 12. 13. 14. 15. 16. 17.6.@buzzfeed7.@fastcompany8.@forbes9.@harvardbiz18. 19. 20. 21. 22. 23. 24.10. @google25.@wsj @klout @hubspot @huffingtonpost @instagram @facebook @inc @linkedin @starbucks @marketingprofs @americanair @adage @vineapp @digiday @ap* Based on unique # of digital marketers that mentioned the brand. Ties were broken using Klout score followed by # of followers. 25!Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!
26. Spotlight:ConsumerBrandsonTwi9er Incollabora*onwith:26Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!
27. Spotlight:ConsumerBrandsonTwi9er As savvy social media users, digital marketers are comfortable engaging publishers and brands on Twitter. In fact, while most of the 25 Brands Most Mentioned by Digital Marketers were publishers, we found that marketers actually talked about a wide variety of traditional consumer brands and categories, including: AirlinesRetailersAnd theyre not alone every day millions of consumers praise the brands they love, and trash the brands they hate on Twitter. NetBase analyzed 68,323,926 tweets mentioning these popular consumer brands and created a Brand Passion Index for each category. In the following graphics, the amount of chatter about a brand is indicated by the size of the bubble, while the placement of the bubble shows both the sentiment and passion intensity. 27!Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!
28. ConsumerBrandsonTwi9er:Retail WalMart generated the 2nd largest share of buzz, but NetBase reveals that the retailer giant has the lowest Net Sentiment of the brands in its category.28!Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!
29. ConsumerBrandsonTwi9er:Airlines NetBase shows that Virgin America generated the most passion and love from online customers even though it captured the fewest overall mentions in the airline category.29!Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!
30. Conclusion30Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!
31. Conclusion Imagine if you could listen to the daily conversations of digital marketers. How would you use that information to better reach, engage, and influence these new media professionals to take the actions you care most about? For example, would it provide you insights into where to advertise, what content to create, whom to build relationships with, and how best to develop and implement your social media strategy? Sure it would. We created this special report to provide you with social media insights to help you make more informed decisions about how to reach, engage, and influence digital marketing professionals. And since the topics, content sources, and influencers are constantly changing so, too, are the social media insights. Sign up to get future social insights reports delivered to your inbox. http://offers.leadtail.com/social-insights-report31!Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!
32. AboutNetBaseNetBase delivers the social intelligence that global brands and agencies use to publish, monitor, analyze and engage with customers in real time. Using a high-precision natural language processing (NLP) engine our platform processes billions of social media posts that we can slice and dice fast and accuratelyand deliver in the dashboard you need. Clients include Coca-Cola, Kraft, HP, ESPN, GfK, McCann Erickson and Taco Bell. NetBase solutions are sold globally by SAP AG and J.D. Power & Associates. To hear more about how you can benefit from using NetBase social intelligence, visit www.netbase.com, follow @NetBase or contact us @ firstname.lastname@example.org 32!Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!
33. AboutLeadtailLeadtail is an agency focused on making online marketing and social media work for business.www.Leadtail.com @Leadtail, @BestB2BSocial www.Leadtail.com/blog/ www.linkedin.com/companies/LeadtailThe Leadtail team has developed and implemented social media programs and campaigns for leading consumer and business brands including TiVo, WageWorks, AlcatelLucent, Symantec, Adaptive Planning and Peoplefluent. Our social media insights reports have been referenced in media publications including: Business Insider, Forbes, Huffington Post, MarketingProfs, CMSWire, and ERE.Interested in collaborating on a future social insights report? Email us: email@example.com!Leadtail Social Media Insights for Decision Makers!