Presentation by Technical Lead Daniel Tome to Drupal South Wellington in February 2014 on the mobile responsive site for Bullseye client Sydney Living Museums
Text of Drupal case study: Sydney Living Museums by Bullseye
1. CASE STUDY: SYDNEY LIVING MUSEUMS Daniel Tome
2. DANIEL TOME Drupal Technical Lead Twitter: @danieltome http://danieltome.com
3. OUR DRUPAL CLIENTS
4. MY DRUPAL TEAM !4
5. AGENDA Introduction to Sydney Living Museums and review of the website ! Challenges ! Build (agile approach, module selection, custom modules built) ! Deploying to Acquia Cloud (load tests, varnish caching) ! Improving performance ! Questions
7. HISTORIC HOUSES TRUST OF NSW Established in 1980 NSW Office of Environment and Heritage within the NSW DPC. Care for 12 of the most important historic houses, gardens and museums in NSW In 2013 they launched their new identity as Sydney Living Museums. Previous website was on CMS Squiz !7
8. SYDNEYLIVINGMUSEUMS.COM.AU ! Responsive website based on Zurb foundation Editorial workflow Custom inline grid editor Lazy loading
9. CHALLENGES ! Very long pages of content with large imagery ! Designs had not been approved at start of project ! Client required a simplified content and layout creation ! Panels had limitations ! Incompatibilities between, Panels/Panelizer, Workbench, Field Collections and Node Clone
13. Progressive enhancement MOBILE FIRST ! Mobile first requires a new approach to planning, UX design, and development that puts handheld devices at the forefront of both strategy and implementation.
14. DATA-INTERCHANGE (RESPONSIVE IMAGES)
15. MODULE SELECTION
16. MODULE SELECTION
17. SPARK Spark is a Drupal distribution which aims to work out solutions to authoring experience problems in the field and apply to latest development versions of Drupal.
18. CUSTOM MODULES
19. SIMPLIFYING CONTENT ENTRY FOR GRIDS
20. HTTP://MARQUEE.BY DEMO
21. GRID INLINE-EDITOR
22. OPENSOURCE Huge developer community: Nearly 1000 developers contributed code to Drupal 7. Over 8000 modules are listed on Drupal.org. Over 10 years of development. 600,000+ users on drupal.org
23. SOCIAL MEDIA TIMELINE
24. AGILE APPROACH
26. SCRUM ADVANTAGES Your progress will be measured as real working software. ! All requirements will be expressed and implemented in terms of their value to users. ! Documentation is kept lightweight and user-focused. ! By not attempting to define every last design detail up front, you and your project stakeholders will not need perfect foresight. ! You will be able to innovate or even change your mind based on your experience of the working !