2. There is an epidemic of pandemic proportions in the making at the World Expo of Live Action and Unique Grotesque Heroes (WE LAUGH).
3. . This crisis of comic characters is by no means comical. One by one the heroes have been taken ill by unknown assailants
4. Preliminary research by our contact in the Quarantined Zone indicates all diseases are bacterial in nature. You and your team must enter the quarantined area and determine the diagnosis and treatment plan for each hero. BE WARNED
5. 5 Confessions of a Germ I was once a harmless bacteria, but a virus mutated me into a killer. Even a dozen of my microbes is enough to cause human infection.
6. 70% of bacterial infections are resistant to at least one antibiotic
7. This information will be sent to the CDC, Characters of Disease for Comic-heroes for review. There is not much time. If our superheroes succumb to these bacteria, imagine what would happen to the general, mortal populace if these microbes escaped. We are watching our field agent very carefully. Once your findings are reviewed by the CDC, a Treatment Team will be flown in with the necessary medications and supplies.
8. Batman & Robin . were the first to arrive via the Bat Plane. Within hours they developed red rashes under their cowls and fevers.
9. Their initial presentation was small red bumps that resemble pimples, spider bites, or boils that was accompanied by fever and rashes. Today, they have become larger, more painful, and are opening into deep, pus-filled boils. What is this?
10. Batman and Robin have Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. As stated by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): "First-line treatment for mild abscesses is incision and drainage." "If antibiotic treatment is clinically indicated, it should be guided by the susceptibility profile of the organism."
11. Maggots rid a diabetic patient of MRSA In a foot ulcer.
12. Wonder Women and Super Girl flew in together and collapsed from vertigo. They both have a sensation of whirling and loss of balance, aggravated by looking down from a great height. Their hotel room spins about them and they are only comfortable in a supine position. Initial diagnosis is they are suffering from an unknown bacterial infection causing inflammation of the inner ear.
13. Wonder Woman and Super Girl have inflammation within the inner ear (labyrinthitis), which is characterized by the sudden onset of vertigo and may be associated with hearing loss. The most common cause of labyrinthitis is a viral or bacterial infection. Bacterial infections of the middle ear require antibiotics.
15. Anti-wrinkle toxin The Hulk is curled up in a fetal ball and has not left his hotel room. His muscles are flaccid and too weak to hold him up. Our agent on scene sent in this update. This was the last transmission before she became ill herself. Our researchers cannot decipher the content. We hope you will be able to discern some clues from the content.
16. The Hulk has been affected by botulism. A botulism neurotoxin actually paralyzes the nerves so that the muscles cannot contract, by interfering with the release of acetylcholine. Unless the nerve can regenerate a new axon that has no exposure to the neurotoxin, the interference at the neuromuscular junction is permanent. If diagnosed early, food-borne and wound botulism can be treated with an antitoxin that blocks the action of neurotoxin circulating in the blood. Wounds should be treated. Antibiotics and surgically, to remove the source of the toxin-producing bacteria. Good supportive care in a hospital is the mainstay of therapy for all kinds of botulism.
18. The Fantastic Four have succumbed to profuse, smelly, green diarrhea and dehydration. Significant diarrhea ("new onset of > 3 partially formed or watery stools per 24 hour period"); colitis (abdominal pain); and generalized weakness have set in.GREEN Stools are the HINT
19. As for the smelly green diarrhea and dehydration, the Fantastic Four most likely have Clostridium difficile.Treatment includes, but not limited to Bed rest Fluids - to avoid dehydration Salt solutions Symptomatic treatment Diet changes Antibiotics- Metronidazole, Vancomycin, Linezolid
20. Supermans emotions areall in a fluster.. At one moment he is giggling, the next crying, the next angry then he sleeps. His symptoms include cough, sore throat, runny nose, blocked nose, phlegm, headache and fever, facial pressure and sneezing.
21. Superman has an Upper Respiratory Tract Infection Symptoms of URTI's: cough, sore throat, runny nose, blocked nose, phlegm, headache, fever, facial pressure, extreme sensibility to cold and warm weather and sneezing which together could affect Supermans emotions. Until more effective treatments are available to treat the common respiratory viruses responsible for the majority of cases, treatment of URIs with rest, increased fluids, and symptomatic care with over-the-counter medications will remain the treatment of choice. Why not antibiotics?