Text of African Women in Science and Innovation and Agenda 2063: The Africa we Want
1. African Women in Science and Innovation and Agenda 2063: The Africa we Want Judith Francis, CTA, The Netherlands
2. WHAT IS CTA? Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Cooperation Joint institution of the European Union and African, Caribbean and Pacific (ACP) Group of States Founded in 1984 Funded by EU under the European Development Fund Focus is on agricultural and rural development Over 35 years experience in serving the ACP community: Working with policymakers e.g. AUC and NEPAD as well as national governments, universities and related networks e.g. Mekelle & RUFORUM, research organizations and platforms e.g. FARA & ASARECA, farmers organizations, extension agencies strengthening EU-ACP partnerships e.g. with the EC and European universities and other organizations e.g. Wageningen University and Research and CIRAD.
3. CTAS VISION OF AGRICULTURE Vibrant Modern Sustainable Inclusive Creating value and jobs Producing nutritious, healthy food
4. 2016 CTA. All rights reserved 4 By 2020 DELIVERING IMPACT: CTA TARGETS 1 million small-scale producers with increased production and income 5,000 new jobs 30 new agribusinesses 200,000 small-scale producers with increased adaptive capacity to climate change 200,000 people with more nutritious and diverse diets
5. The Global and African context
6. 2016 CTA. All rights reserved 6 THE SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS
7. AUC Agenda 2063 The Africa we want: Seven Aspirations Photo credit: CIFOR Prosperity (inclusive growth and sustainable Integrated continent Good governance Peaceful and secure Strong cultural Identity People driven - African potential especially women & youth Africa as strong, united, resilient and influential
8. 12 Priority Areas Agriculture value addition & agro business development Gender / women development & youth empowerment Employment generation (youth and women) Science, technology and innovation
9. Agenda 2063: The Goals
10. 2016 CTA. All rights reserved 10 My aim is to produce what everyone else isnt producing JOANNA WATERMAN, BARBADOS Well educated citizens
11. local food makes business sense and its a way to help your community DORA ROSSI Healthy and well nourished people
12. we now have a much better quality of life. WINFRED KAREITHI, KENYA Transformed economies
13. 2016 CTA. All rights reserved 13 Seeing is believing AGRIBUSINESS TV Modern agriculture
14. Science & innovation: Can women make a difference?
15. 2016 CTA. All rights reserved 15 Winning Pitch Agrihack will help me grow my business and better serve rural women cooperatives AWA CABA, founder of Sooretul Make the science relevant
16. 2016 CTA. All rights reserved 16 Women farmers are more receptive of the MUIIS package than are male farmers Carol Kakooza, project coordinator Empower other women
17. 2016 CTA. All rights reserved 17 The book changed the way I rear my chickens and improved my production. Nigerian poultry farmer MAKE KNOWLEDGE ACTIONABLE PLAN TO CHANGE PEOPLES LIVES
18. I created a mobile wallet for smallholder farmers I would have enjoyed using that as a young boy! GERALD OTIM, ENSIBUUKO GO BEYOND THE LAB: SCALE UP
19. 2016 CTA. All rights reserved 19 African Women Scientists: Agents of Change H.E. Graa Machel: Be accountable H.E. Ameenah Gurib Fakim: Empower others Dr Jemanesh Kifetew Haile Change lives Professor Fetien Abey Be a role model
20. We need to focus on the goal(s), support each other, work and grow together, mentor the youth and partner with key stakeholders including our male colleagues
21. We need to make a difference in peoples lives. Unleash the power of science & innovation
22. This document has been produced with the financial assistance of the European Union. The contents of this document are the sole responsibility of CTA and can under no circumstances be regarded as reflecting the position of the European Union. Images and rights have been purchased from the stock library Alamy. Thank you CTA operates under the framework of the Cotonou Agreement and is funded by the EU. This document has been produced with the financial assistance of the European Union. The contents of this document are the sole responsibility of CTA and can under no circumstances be regarded as reflecting the position of the European Union. Images and rights have been purchased from the stock library Alamy.