Copyright 2014 Rincker et. al., Purdue University Calumet
1. Why Digital Storytelling is a Great Learning Tool Dr. Meg Rincker, Assistant Professor of Political Science Leslie Fusinato, PUC Student, Political Science Jason Schultz, PUC Grad, Political Science, Class of 2013
2. Overview What Digital Storytelling (DS) Is Why I assign DS to my students Student Examples of their Digital Stories Process/and the Outcomes Your questions and comments
3. What Digital Storytelling Is Digital Storytelling is a process where learners create a short 2-4 minute movie, featuring their voice-over script, images, and background events. Ex. Facebook Status Posts vs. Your Facebook movie -dynamic, over time -select most important moments -synced to music for emphasis
4. Why I assign Digital Stories I dont have to be an expert in a technology to assign it to students! Expectations, Logistics, management. We are at the Premier Engineering University in world, people expect our students to be tech-savvy. Students know more tech already, or can figure out more than we give them credit for. It helped get Matteo Renzi appointed Youngest Italian Prime Minister.
5. Generally, A Two Week Process -Before Semester starts, identify lab space or request software install. -Thursday - Kristin Norris, IUPUI did Google Chat, giving live PowerPoint on Digital Story process. Tuesday- Students bring Storyboard, a script to class. I review/revise scripts; they gather images. Thursday- Students have class time to record script, finalize putting images to words and music. Saturday 10:59 pm CST- Students sent me a YouTube link their unlisted Digital Stories.
6. From Storyboard to Movie (Leslie) What Storyboard is Script Highlighting Key Words Gather Images save to Flash Drive Import Images to movie-making software (PhotoStory, Imovie, Windows Movie Maker). Record script in software, fit images and music (karaoke) files to script. Leslies Digital Story on Global Counter-Terrorism http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmi28DpkCiM&feature =youtube
7. What We Learned From Making a Digital Story (Jason) Status Quo of A Policy Issue Presentation using Emotional Appeal Build Connections From Isolated Issue to Other Related Issues Jasons Digital Story on Conventional Ammunition Stockpiles http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mVpeV1Anps&fe ature=youtu.be
8. Challenges Getting Music Volume Right Recording Smooth Narration Fitting Images longer to fill narration Deciding whether to use the laptop/computer you know, versus using someone elses machine that gives you access to easier software, microphone etc. Look on Youtube for quick tutorials on Imovie, PhotoStory, Windows Movie Maker.
9. Rewards!! Instructor : variety in types of assignments to grade. Student: a concrete deliverable/product they can show an employer or post on LinkedIn. Knowing video will be seen/shared increases the quality of the students final product.
10. Questions? Your thoughts or comments on ways to use Digital Stories in your classes