Using Web 2.0 Tools for Student Inquiry
Presented January 25 at OTF Connects.
- How can we use technology in supporting inquiry based learning?
- Inquiry requires more than simply answering questions or getting a right answer. It espouses investigation, exploration, search, quest, research, pursuit and study. It is enhanced by involvement with a community of learners, each learning from the other in social interaction. Kuklthau, Maniotes & Caspari, 2007, p. 2
- Models of Inquiry. http://www.flickr.com/photos/nechbi/53014709/
- Learning for All Ontario Library Association
- BC Teacher-Librarian Association
- Ontario Student Inquiry Process Ontario Ministry of Education
- Model OLA BCTLA SS MoE Stage 1 Exploring Connect & Wonder Initiate & Plan Focus Stage 2 Investigating Investigate Perform & Record Explore Stage 3 Processing Construct Analyze & Interpret Analyze Stage 4 Creating Express Communicate Share Learning Stage 5 Reflect Reflection & Feedback throughout
- 1. Focus http://www.flickr.com/photos/dolmansaxlil/5316262251
- Plan/Question/Wonder http://www.flickr.com/photos/aforgrave/5504193526/
- Google Trends www.google.ca/trends - plot search trends, draw inferences, develop questions
- Gapminder www.gapminder.org used for visualizing demographic data
- PHET http://phet.colorado.edu physics and general science simulations
- ExploreLearning Gizmos http://www.explorelearning.com
- Flickr Explore, Random Images
Tools of Wonder.
- 2. Explore http://www.flickr.com/photos/courosa/4816443969
- More use of simulations (Gizmos etc.. )
- Asteroid Impact Simulator - http://simulator.down2earth.eu/#
- Web conferencing Skype, Adobe Connect etc..
- Collaboration with Google Forms - docs.google.com
- Combined with bit.ly for shortening URLs.
Tools for Exploration
- Delicious.com or Diigo.com for social bookmarking
- 3. Analyze/Test/Describe/Sort/Compare/Conclude
- Google Docs - spreadsheet, collaborative docs http://docs.google.com
- Wordle.net - word clouds for analysis of text
- Bubbl.us - https://bubbl.us/ -mind mapping
- Popplet - http://popplet.com/ - visual thinking
- Edmodo.com - collaborative space, private, school focused social network
- Ideas from you!
- 4. Share Learning/Communicate/Discuss/Demonstrate http://www.flickr.com/photos/soomaa/6626864445/
- Blogging - Wordpress.com , Blogger.com , Edublogs.com , Kidblog.org
- Animations - Xtranormal.com
- Videos - Youtube.com , Animoto.com
- Comics - Bitstripsforschools.com
- Presentations Google Presentation, Prezi.com
- Most of these allow for demonstration of student thinking, and also allow for continued reflection, commenting, collaboration
Share the Learning
- This publication point can mark the START not the end of the learning process.
- Please find me online to continue our conversations!
- Colin Jagoe Kawartha Pine Ridge DSB