Text of Using Video to Flip ESL Speaking, Listening, and Pronunciation
1. + Using Video to Enhance or Flip ESL Speaking, Listening, and Pronunciation Marsha Chan The Pronunciation Doctor Mission College and Sunburst Media
2. + Value of using video clips for listening, speaking, pronunciation To enhance learning during class With audiovisual input Can be created specifically for English learners Can be carefully selected material for a general audience Can be theme-based with material for discussion Can present functional language Can focus on prosody and other pronunciation elements Should provide a model for learners to copy/emulate To preview material in a course book To augment material in a course book To expand on material in a course book To enhance learning outside of class
3. + What is flip teaching? A form of blended learning Encompasses the use of technology to leverage learning in the classroom Most commonly done using teacher-created videos that students view outside of class time Moves lecture home and homework into class hours Allows students more time to review and absorb lecture content. Allows more hands-on time with the instructor guiding the students during class
4. + What are benefits of flip teaching? Enables students more time to review and absorb lecture/presentation content. Allows more hands-on time with the instructor guiding the students during class Creates more collaborative learning opportunities among students More 1-on-1 interaction builds stronger student-teacher relationships Offers a way to share lecture material easily with colleagues, substitute teachers, students family, community
5. + Todays examples Homemade Written with particular language objectives Recorded on Apple Macintosh Edited in Quicktime, iMovie, Final Cut Express Uploaded to www.youtube.com/pronunciationdoctor Mission videos College students access the Internet On campus At home
6. + How to Make Smores from Pronunciation Doctors Youtube Channel www.youtube.com/pronunciationdoctor Example Instructional, describes a process, tangible, short Video viewing assignments (homework) Intermediate-low/mid Intermediate-high Advanced-low Post-viewing discussion Presentation planning and implementation
7. + How to Make Smores http://youtu.be/oliIf38clE8
8. + Video viewing assignment Introduction Ingredients Other things youll need Directions Optional follow-up: Plan a presentation
9. + Introduction word dont is acontractionof do and not. Smore is a contractionof what two words? The When people in the United States go camping, what do they like to do at nighttime? what cookbook did the first smore recipe first appear? In
10. + Prepare these things Ingredients To make smores for about 1020 campers, what will you need? a bag of large , about a pound a box of _______________________ __, about a pound a dozen __________________, about a pound Other things you need A __________ or A clean ____________ A ______________
11. + Directions
12. + Directions, continued
13. + In-class discussion Discuss Pairs, groups, whole class What the written assignment did you learn from the video? Language Culture Speech organization Speech delivery Verbal, nonverbal behaviors Auditory, visual messages What ideas do you have about your own demo?
14. + Optional follow-up activity Students cooking demonstration Prepare a 3-minute demonstration of how to make a simple dish. Use How to Make Smoresas a model. Write your plan on paper. Prepare the ingredients and utensils. Rehearse your speech in front of a mirror. Record yourself and make revisions. Present your cooking demo to the class. In person during class on ________ With a partner as videographer, make a video before class; bring the video to class on a USB flash drive or CD.
15. + Elena demos How to Make Blini http://youtu.be/0ue3B8zkaJI
16. + Tiffanys Daffodils Example from Pronunciation Doctors Youtube Channel www.youtube.com/pronunciationdoctor Narrative, a story in the past time, concrete, focused on past tense phonology Video viewing assignments (homework) Intermediate-low/mid Intermediate-high Advanced-low Classroom discussion Post-viewing discussion Presentation planning and implementation
18. + Video viewing assignment: phonological analysis Chapter 5 Cleaning up the Backyard Sound Focus 1 Words stress and intonation Sound Focus 2 The /t/ sounds Sound Focus 3 The /d/ sounds Sound Focus 4 The regular past tenses ed endings /t/, /d/, /id/ Sound Focus 5 Vowel length
24. + In-class discussion Discuss the written assignment What did you learn from the video? Pairs, groups, whole class Pronunciation Vocabulary Story telling Speech delivery Illustrations Auditory, visual messages What ideas do you have about developing your own story?
25. + Oral presentation: a story about an event in the past time Compose your own story about something that happened in the past. Bring a first draft of your story to class on _________________. Prepare the story for oral presentation on _________________.
26. Kim Chi traveled to Canada http://youtu.be/J-ltTI6s170
27. + Many other video sources, among them TED talks Riveting talks by remarkable people, free to the world (Advanced learners) www.ted.com VOA Voice of America www.voa.gov learningenglish.voanews.com Levels 1 and 2 Vocabulary, Comprehension, Listening Audio, pictures, captioned videos, quizzes and other downloadable learning materials