Presentation includes accident reporting and statistics, life jacket wear projects, boating under the influence initiatives, the Vessel Identification System, legislative issues on reauthorization of the Trust Fund and mandatory education, regulatory projects on propeller strike avoidance measures and numbering of vessels, and the Strategic Plan of the National Recreational Boating Safety Program.
- 1. National Association of State Boating Law Administrators 2008 Annual ConferenceClearwater Beach, Florida CAPT Mark Rizzo, ChiefUSCG, Office of Auxiliary & Boating Safety
2. Coast Guard Headquarters Reorganization
- October 2007 first phase of modernization of Coast Guard Headquarters.
- Many offices reorganized to enhance efficiency and effectiveness.
- Office of Boating Safety and Office of Auxiliary combined into new Office of Auxiliary and Boating Safety (CG-542)
- Office Chief also serves as Chief Director of Auxiliary and Executive Director of NBSAC
3. 4. 5. CG-542 Organization Chart CG-542 Office Chief O-6 CHIDIRAUX NBSAC Exec. Dir. Auxiliary Division Chief O-5 CG05421 Boating SafetyDivision Chief GS-15 CG-5422 Administration BranchGS-14 CG-54211 Program Ops. Branch GS-15 CG-54222 Operations Branch O-4 CG-54212 Rec. Boating Product Assurance Branch GS-15 CG-54223 Program Mgt. Branch GS-15 CG-54221 6. National RBS Program Strategic Plan Update 7. Registered Vessels andDeaths 1962-2007 8.
- Specific targets for numbers of casualties (injuries and deaths) set per year through the year 2011.(Measured on a fiscal year and a calendar year basis.)
- Boating safety education certificates issued (students certified) annually;
- Boating publics awareness of safe boating practices;
- Individuals completing an advanced boating education course or an on-the-water skill course;
- Increase adult life jacket wear-rate in open motorboats;
- Reduce deaths due to navigation rules violations ;
- Decrease in the number of casualties where alcohol use was a cause ;
- Decrease the recreational boat manufacturer ratio of discrepancies per inspection (~2,000 factory visits/year) ;
- Compliance with equipment carriage requirements;
- Enhance accident data accuracy and completeness.Ensure investigator reports are complete and accurate; and
- Determine a participation denominator for boating activity to measure risk levels.
- Evaluate the impact of grant programs in achieving the goals of the strategic plan.
15. National RBS ProgramStrategic Plan
- Implementation going well, with many measures taking place or soon to take place.
- 19 Partner Organizations have signed Plan!
- Official Report for the Plan available at www.uscgboating.org.
- 2007 statistics indicate some successes and some work to do.
- Casualty goals were not achieved, primarily due to a significant increase in injuries.
- Manufacturer compliance objective not achieved, but progress made.
- While not final, it appears that life jacket wear rate of 4.63% for adults on open motorboats was achieved.
18. National RBS ProgramStrategic Plan THE POWER OF PARTNERSHIPS A Common Vision ForAll RBS Partners 19. Statistics 20. 2007 Recreational Boating Market Estimates and Accidents
- 83.6 Million recreational boaters (age 16+)
- 12.8 Million state registered boats
- Millions more unregistered boats (canoes, kayaks, etc.-4 to 8 million?)
- Recreational boating has an economic impact of ~$106 Billion annually and provides ~900,000 U.S. jobs
21. 2007 Recreational Boating Market Estimates and Accidents
- Reported CY 2007 Boating Accidents:
- 685 deaths(2004:676 deaths = record low)
- 3,673 injuries(2004:3,363 injuries = record low)
- $53.1 million in property damage
22. 2007 Boating Statistics Report
- 2007 data published in June 2008 the earliest this Report has been published in 15 years.
- Goal to publish Report by early May each year for marketing purposes.
23. Life Jackets Creating a Culture Change 24. National JSI Measurement of Life Jacket Wear
- Annual observation study.
- JSI initiated measurement in 1998.
- Overall wear rate has varied insignificantly from year to year between 21.3% (low-1999) and 23.9% (high-1998).
- 2007 wear rate 21.4% (with PWCs).
- 2007 adult rate without PWCs 8.5%
25. National JSI Measurement of Life Jacket Wear
- Increase in wear rate for ages 6-12 on all boats, excluding PWC.
- Observations are completed.Preliminary results expected soon.
26. California Wear It Project
- 2007 First year implementation results:
- Observations are completed.Preliminary results from JSI expected soon.
27. USCGA & USPS Vessel Examiners Wear Inflatable Life Jackets
- CG-542 has purchased 10,000 inflatable life jackets.
- Distribution to USCGA & USPSprocessed.
- Being worn during vessel safety checks & encouraged to wear at displays & classes.
28. State Officers Wearing Life Jackets
- Setting a positive example and creating a culture change.
- Many states already require their officers to wear a life jacket when on the water.
- NASBLA encouraging all states to adopt this requirement See Small Craft Advisory.
29. Life Jacket Wear USACE Project
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Pittsburgh District has required everyone onboard vessels