A slideshow of tween services in Nassau Public Libraries from April 2010.
Text of Tween workshop 41510
1. THE NEW POWERGENERATIONTweens in the Spotlight!Too Young for the Teen RoomToo Old for the Childrens Room
2. Its cooler than ever to be atween,but is childhood lost? http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-02-03-tweens-behavior_N.htm
3. Definition of a Tween 8-12 year-olds / 20 million strong Time of transition; physical, emotional, & psychological Each week they spend 12 hours watching TV & 7 hours online 70% say their parents are their best friends 63% DO NOT have cell phones Reading for pleasure continues to drop each year
4. What Tweens Find Important Parents Family Game Nights/ Mom& Daughter programs Music Add music to your website/programs/stream it Movies Book to Movie tie-ins/ show them/ discuss Being Smart Trivia, Contests, Tutors
5. Tween Imprints
7. Its Not a Diary, Its a Movie!Great Bookand MovieTie-inOpportunity!
8. Tween Girl Magazines
9. Tween Boy Magazines
10. Graphic Novels
11. Think outside the box Text Messages as an alternative to Book Reports Mo B Dik Call me -Ishml. Hngr Gms 24 compete. Last 1 alive wins. (fran jackson) Diree Wmpee Kd MS wrst idea evr. Get me out of here.
12. TWEEN PROGRAMMING & TWEEN AREASA Review of our Member Libraries
13. Manhasset Public Library Percy Jackson and the Olympians Book Club 8 12 year-olds 24 enrolled 18 showed up 10 boys! Each week, a book, mythology, demi-god skills, and a craft based on book. Example: Week 2- Sea of Monsters.
14. Manhasset Tween Girls
15. Merrick Library Tween Area
16. Meet me at the corner of 5th and 6th
17. Mineola Public Library
18. Port Washington Tween Area
19. Port Washington Tweens
20. Port Washington Tweens
22. In 1905, 11 year-old Frank Epperson of California mixedsome soda powder and water on his back porch. He leftthe stirring stick in and the temperature droppedovernight the next morning he had a Popsicle!In 1923, Frank began to sell his creation in seven fruitflavors. What was the original name for thissummertime treat? A. Ice-ees C. Epsicles B. Pop-tastic D. Popsidoodles Treats C. Epsicles
23. Valley Stream Tweens- Be Confident! Be Motivated! Be You! Featuring co-authors of 113 Things to Do By 13
24. Further Reading www.delicious.com/nassaulibrary/tweens Acuff, D.S. What Kids Buy and Why: The Psychology of Marketing to Kids. Simon & Schuster, 1997. Elkind, David. All Grown Up and No Place to Go: Teenagers in Crisis. Perseus Books, 1998. Siegel, D.L. The Great Tween Buying Machine: Marketing to Todays Tweens. Paramount Market Publishing, Inc. 2001.