Let's Get Ready discusses their approach to preparing low-income and first-generation students for the SAT and SAT.
- First Generation SAT Preparation:
- Best Practices for Overcoming Barriers & Motivating Students
2. Lets Get Ready Students Helping Students Get To College www.letsgetready.org Lets Get Ready (LGR)is committed to expanding access to higher education by providing low-income and first-generation college bound high school students with intensive, FREE SAT prep and critical assistance with the college application process.LGRs innovative program is led by trained college students who act as tutors, mentors and role models, leading a movement of students helping students get to college. 3.
- FREE eight week program that meets two times per week.
- Intensive SAT test preparation, as well as guidance and mentoring through the college admissions process.
- Classes led by college student volunteers (coaches) in groups of 5 high school students per Coach.
- Built on partnerships with colleges, high schools and/or community organizations.
Lets Get Ready 4. Lets Get Ready!
- LGR Program Growth & Locations:
- Founded in Mt. Vernon, NY in 1998 by a Harvard undergrad with 40 students
- Original seed money from the College Board
- Over 9,000 high school participants since 1998
- 2,000 per year, DOUBLE the number served in 2006
- Has spread to sites throughout New York,New Jersey, Pennsylvania and New England
Amherst College Babson College Barnard CollegeBaruch College CUNYBoston CollegeClark UniversityColgate UniversityColumbia UniversityCornell UniversityDartmouth College Fairfield University Hampshire CollegeHarvard UniversityMt. Holyoke CollegeNew York UniversityPrinceton UniversitySouth Connecticut State UniversityTufts University UMass AmherstUniversity of PennsylvaniaWellesley CollegeWesleyan University Current University Partners: 5. Lets Get Ready
- Participants increase their SAT scores by110 points.
- 92%of students go directly to college after high school;84%attending a four-year school.
- Former students are now returning as coaches, site directors and are even starting new sites on their college campuses creating a cycle of service.
Students Helping Students Get To College www.letsgetready.org LGR was an incredible program that taught me useful SAT skills, and helped me prepare for college.But the best part was the influential staff that created a great learning environment. Liz BajusSummer 2005 Stamford LGR 6. Challenge #1: Motivating Students
- Communicating the Importance of the SAT/ACT
- Benefits of Test Prep Programs
- Communicating What The Test Measures
7. Challenge #2: Understanding & Using Test Taking Strategies
- Communicating the Structure of the Test
- How the Test is Scored & Guessing
- Target Numbers & Range Finder
- Unique Strategies for Each Section
8. Challenge #3: Waking Up & Taking The SAT
- Confronting Test Day Barriers
- Forget the Test Date & Time
- Forget the Testing Location
- Forget to Arrange a Ride to the Testing Location
- Forgot the Admission Ticket