This powerpoint was created using Sassoon Infant however you may view the font differently. Please download Sassoon Infant and change. Children must be able to practice decoding for fluency and comprehension, using the sound pics they are learning within the SSP levels. Explicit, systematic teaching of the alphabetic code in FUN ways.z www.facebook.com/readaustralia www.speedyssp.com www.youtube.com/soundpics
Text of SSP Phonics Readers - Decoding for fluency and comprehension - Green, Purple, Yellow
1. g r ee n
2. Skills and concepts to reinforce Our spoken words are made
up of smaller parts; we call them speech sounds. Our speech sounds
can be represented on paper using speech sound pics. (the pictures
we take of our speech sounds with our speech sound camera) If we
look at a word, in print, we can say the speech sounds that link
with the speech sound pics in order from left to right, and blend
these speech sounds into a word. (decoding) s a t = sat If we
listen carefully to a spoken word and identify the speech sounds,
in order, we can make choices on paper, to represent the word in
print (encoding) Within SSP children become used to first writing
lines, as they say the speech sounds, to reinforce segmenting and
blending skills. This is really helpful as the code becomes more
complex, and there are numerous speech sound pic choices. ____
_____ _____ _____ 1 2 3 4 t r nay
3. a/n/t s/n/a/p t/a/p s/p/i/n s/n/i/p t/a/n s/i/t p/a/n/t/s
t/i/n n/a/p p/a/n p/i/n p/i/t (sand) p/a/t n/i/p a/t i/n The Kings
Helpful words (these are high frequency words, not sight words.
Sight words can made reading much more difficult for the majority
of children) the a I and is to said he of was No letter names
please, just the speech sounds. When creating resources please use
same illustrations to build confidence.
14. yes or no ? ant pit
15. nap pin sat
16. snap tin spin
17. snap pit pat ant matching
18. matching nip sip pan spin pants
19. matching tan sit pat snip nap
20. snap tap
21. it is a pin
22. it is a tin
23. it is a pan
24. it is an ant
25. it is Santa
26. the pin spins
27. Pat and Nat
28. it is Pat
29. it is Nat
30. Nat and Pat.
31. Nat and Pat sat.
32. Nat and Pat sat in a pan.
33. Nat and Pat sat in a pan and Santa sat in a tin.
34. Nan and Stan
35. it is Nan
36. Nan spins wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
37. it is Stan
38. Nan spins and Stan nap
39. Nin and Santa
40. it is Nin
41. it is Santa
42. Santa pats Nin
43. pin !
44. pop !
45. pants !
46. Heres the SSP Green Level Sound Pic Word Chant!
47. sat pat tan pan tin pin ants nan pan nip sip tip pit ants
nap sap tap tip nip pip ants Pat has lots of ants in his
48. p ur p le
49. You will need to know these speech sound pics and helpful
words. m d g o c k ck e u r h b f ff l le ll ss These capital
(important) letters are used A (a) T (t) H (h) B (b) G (g) CRACK !
C ( c ) R (r ) (A a) CK (ck) the and a to said in he I of it was
50. The gentle giant and the pot.
51. The gentle giant sat on a pot.
52. A little man was in the pot. Help!
53. Big giant, you must not sit here. said the little man.
54. He was stuck in the pot.
55. The gentle giant giggled. I did not sit on you he said. I
sat on the pot. Get off the pot!
56. I got on the pot first! said the little man.
57. The giant got back on the pot
58. the kitty cat and the dog, said lets get on the
59. the cat in the hat, the rat in the red pants and Rick Rat
said lets get on the giant
60. They got on the giant, on the little man, on the pot
61. The pot went CRACK. They fell onto the grass and
62. Draw a picture of your favourite part of the story.
63. y e ll ow
64. You will need to know these speech sound pics and helpful
words. s a t p i n m d g o c k ck e u r h b f ff l le ll ss j v w x
y z zz qu ch sh th ng ai ee igh oa oo eigh These capital
(important) letters are used E ( e ) A (a) T (t) H (h) B (b) C ( c
) J (j ) (A a) K ( k ) Q (q ) the to is said he I you was who or
for saw there we what they
65. Eight in a boat
66. Can you see the fluffy kitten on the little green
67. Who is on the boat with the fluffy kitten?
68. The owl is on the little green boat with the kitten.
69. The kitten thinks it will rain, but it looks sunny.
70. Who is flying in the sky?
71. The bee is buzzing high in the sky.
72. The bee thinks it is too hot and sunny.
73. Shall I fly to the moon? said the buzzy bee.
74. Or shall I fly to the boat for a rest and a drink?
75. Just as the bee looked at the green boat he saw a box
floating by the boat.
76. The kitten got the box in to the boat. What do you think is
in the box?
77. .it is a teddy !
78. The buzzy bee, the kitten, the owl and the teddy sat in the
79. The fish looked up at the boat. The boat is getting full
80. Suddenly there was a yell. Help ! said the King and Queen.
We fell off the ship as it was windy.
81. The buzzy bee, the kitten, the owl, the teddy, the King and
Queen sat in the boat.
82. Then Jenny and the dolphin got in. Can you see eight in the
83. There is no room on the boat ! said the ow He was
84. Then it began to rain..
85. We will get wet ! said the owl.
86. Cheer up said the kitten. I will not get wet. I will be
dry. She began to giggle. Cheeky kitten.
87. b l ue
88. blue level sound pics ar or ow oi air ur car for cow tow
soil hair purse If you find any of these sound pics, when you are
reading, add in more words ! The word sale is a sound pic sandwich!
s a-e l sale
89. Oh my word- have you heard? Miss Emma hurt her nose poor
girl Choose a cloud and see if you can create a song, poem, art
work or something else to creatively show ALL of the sound pics for
that speech sound.
90. Reading with Blue Level Sound Pics er ay oy ou au perfect
play toy out group touch August I play with my puppy, he loves it
so much Hes wriggly, he licks me, hes silky to touch. Hes perfect
when out with just me, or a group He tugs on my toys, and runs
round in a loop In November when cold, or August when hot He just
wants to play, he just doesnt stop!
91. Reading with Blue Level Sound Pics ir ie ue ea ui ey first
chief tie blue beat head suit key they The first time they told me
to get the blue tie I thought it was to go round my head, not sure
why! The key is to loop it, no easy feat, but finishes the suit
look, ready to meet VIP people, perhaps the top chief ! Mum said
were not going, WHAT A RELIEF !
92. Reading with Blue Level Sound Pics aw wh ph ew oe ure are
claw whip dolphin few toe pure are dare I love the cute dolphin,
who kisses my nose She splashes my fingers, and blows on my toes I
ask are you sure? I ask, do you dare? To whip up the water, and
make the crab stare! Hell peep out from under the stone, its his
door, and wave a few times with his big orange claw !
93. Can you decode these words? Let children explore the RWI
cards all SSP blue level sound pics included Teacher ideas- use the
RWI cards for decoding practice, to reinforce the speech sound pic
recognition and also blending skills eg for ure Dont have a pack
yet? Go to www.readaustralia.com/orders.htm - approx $12
94. Investigating Blue Level sound pic sandwiches a-e e-e i-e
cake athlete bike o-e u-e coke flute which of these sound pic
sandwiches can you see? Say the word and listen to the last speech
sound. The Speech Sound Pic Sandwich Maker jumps the last sound
from the end, into the sandwich!
95. Read the words and find the right card huge brute make a
cake nice smile phone home