Thinking of becoming a speech pathologist? Find out what you need to know before your apply to a speech pathology graduate program. Presentation includes information about earings potential, expected job growth, required coursework, top social work graduate programs, and how to search for a Speech Pathology graduate program.
Text of Speech Pathology Master's Degrees
1. Graduate Programs in Speech Pathology
2. Speech Pathologists diagnose and treat communication and swallowing disorders.
3. Speech Pathologists are employed in many industries including: hospitals, physicians offices, occupational therapy treatment centers, nursing homes, home health services, and public health clinics. As of May 2012, the Bureau of Labor Statistics Reported the Median Annual Salary of speech pathologists was $69,870. Source: The Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Employment Statistics, May 2012. http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes291127.htm
4. Speech Pathology graduate programs are highly competitive. Applicants are usually required to demonstrate experience in communication sciences or a related field, a strong academic record (in many cases, programs require applicants to earn at least a 3.5 undergraduate GPA). Many programs also require applicants to earn a high score on their GRE. Required application materials are likely to include: Letters of recommendation A personal statement Transcripts demonstrating successful completion of pre-requisite coursework GRE and TOFEL Scores
5. Highest Ranked Speech Pathology Graduate Programs Source: U.S. News and World Report: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduateschools/top-health-schools/pathology-rankings 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. 10. University of Iowa University of Wisconsin- Madison University of Washington Vanderbilt University Northwestern University Purdue University University of Arizona University of Kansas University of Pittsburgh University of Texas- Austin
6. Coursework and Training: Graduate level speech pathology program requirements will vary by school, but most programs require students to complete a combination of coursework and field (practicum) training to earn their degree. Coursework is likely to include: Research methods Statistics Models of language behavior Anatomy and physiology Assessment of speech language problems Acoustics and perception of speech Mathematics Biology Many programs require applicants to complete pre-requisite coursework, which may include: Introduction to Phonetics Introduction to Language acquisition Introduction to Hearing science Introduction to Language disorders Introduction to Speech disorders Introduction to Audiology Introduction to Anatomy and physiology
7. For more information or to search Social Work graduate programs References: http://www.stjohns.edu/academics/graduate/liberalarts/departments/speech/programs/ma_slpa/admission_requirements.stj http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes291127.htm http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-health-schools/pathology-rankings