Presentation slides for the LAUC-B Academic Library 2.0 conference. Presentation given by Bernadette Daly Swanson (UCD) and Danielle Kane (UCSC)
- 1.Second Life:Education in a Virtual World Bernadette Daly SwansonDanielle Kane University of California DavisUniversity of California Santa Cruz Academic Library 2.0 Library AssociationUniversity of California Berkeley November 2, 2007
2. Mica & HVX: Taking on a Second Life Video http:// www.youtube.com/watch?v =faeXGPB5coA 3. Rise of Gaming
- Massively-Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game
- Massively Multiplayer Online game
- Online, Multi-User Virtual Environments, sometimes called virtual worlds
http://www.opencroquet.org/index.php/Main_Page http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/index.xml http://secondlife.com/ http://www.activeworlds.com/ 4. What is Second Life
- No Preconceived Objective
- User Generated / Owned Content
- Why should educators and librarians pay attention to virtual worlds?
Question fromhttp://seanfitz.wikispaces.com/virtualworldsenetworks07 Academy of Second Learning: ASL Eson 32, 162, 351 6. New Media Consortium (NMC)
- An international not-for-profit consortium of nearly 250 learning-focused organizations dedicated to the exploration and use of new media and new technologies.
- Serves as a catalyst for the development of new applications of technology to support learning and creative expression.
- Sponsors programs and activities designed to stimulate innovation, encourage collaboration, and recognize excellence among its member institutions.
7. Virtual World Education
- Time-to-adoption: 2 to 3 years
- Why:Offers effective learning spaces
- Closer to face-to-face conversation
NOAA: Science on a Sphere NOAA Virtual Island in SciLands Meteora 175, 155, 26 8. NMC: The Horizon Project
- How well do lessons learned in a virtual world translate into real-world applications?
- Do immersive learning experiences engage learners?In what ways?
- Why are virtual worlds so compelling to some and not to others?What are the essential factors that make one person willing to spend hours exploring these spaces and others much less so?
Book Island 128, 128, 35 The Horizon Project Call to Scholarship.The New Media Consortium 2007.http://www.nmc.org/pdf/Horizon-Project-Call-to-Scholarship.pdf 9. New Media Consortium White Paper Social Networking, the "Third Place," and the Evolution of Communication
- White Paper just released in a variety of formats
- Part of NMC's New Scholarship Initiative
- Paper released in advance of conferenceto spark discussion,
- discourse, and critical thinking on the topic
- NMC Symposium on the Evolution of Communication: Dec. 4-5, 2007
New Media Consortium 10. NMCSurvey of Educators in Second Life
- 33% were 36-45 years of age
- 58% have experienced other virtual environments
- but 73% have not participated in any massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games.
- What is your prediction for the future of Second Life?
- 26% achieve some great applications but will not go mainstream
- 12% offers great potential but wont be around in five years.
- 2% mostly hype and will implode any day now
- 36% had other comments both positive and negative
11. So, what are librarians & educators doing in Second Life 12. Participants UCLA Library San Diego State University UCI Anteater Island UCB ALA California State University Pomona Nature Publishing Group StanfordIndiana UniversitySDSUMITUCI Columbia UniversityThe Bay School of San Francisco UCSB Chapman UniversityDrexel UniversityIEEEHarvard UniversityUCLANew York UniversityThe Art Institute of California-San DiegoPennsylvania State UniversityNew Media Consortium UCDBall State UniversityPepperdine University UCSC University of Colorado 13. University of California Libraries
- Anteater Island - experimental distance learning initiative
- Exhibit's extensive digital collections
- Provide Web links to an array of its existing services
- Esther Grassian taught a graduate course in Information Studies
- Librarian supervision of Service Learning Projects with SJSU MLIS Program LIB 246(hybrid course in Second Life & Real Life)
- Currently in the planning phase of a Second Life project
14. UCLA Libraries 15. SLED Second Life EducatorsSecond Life Education Workshop Aug. 2007
- In the year since the first SLCC Education Workshop, weve witnessed the growth of an international community, the evolution of an extensive Second Life ecosystem that includes blogs, wikis, mashups, and the development of model projects and practices that are shaping new policies for the integration of Web 2.0 and the 3D Web in education.
- Second Life Educators (SLED) listserv has close to 3900 members
- 161 colleges and universities active in Second Life
- The Second Life K12 communitySLEDThas 475 members
- Claudia L'Amoreaux / Claudia Linden & John Lester / Pathfinder Linden
- Field Research in Second Life
- CyberOne: Law in the Court of Public Opinion
- Virtual World Librarianship in Second Life
- Multimedia and Games Design
What are they Teaching Globe Theater: Renaissance Island 189, 44, 26 17. University of California Faculty
- CITRIS: Center for Information Technology Research in the Interest of Society
- Archaeologist Ruth Tringham is having undergraduate students work as research apprentices
- ReCVEB: Research Center for Virtual Environments and Behavior
- Transcriptions Project: Rita Raley and Alan Liu, created its own experimental classroom space.
- Dario Nardi and Francis Stean in Human Complex Systems. Dario is using it in an undergraduate courses
- The Virtual Hallucinations project is a continuation of the work of Dr. Peter Yellowlees and group
- Dr. Peter Yellowlees Bioterrorism Research Project
- eLab City, Sloan Center for Internet Retailing (working laboratory environment for studying virtual consumption.
- The Donald Bren School of Information and Computer Sciences
18. UC Irvine Anteater Island Experimental distance learning initiative The primary purpose of the island will be to support UCI courses wishing to use it as a platform for computer design projects and to use