Presentation at UBC Biodiversity Internal Seminar Series (BLISS) http://www.zoology.ubc.ca/~biodiv/BLISS/BLISS.htm
1. Public data archiving: Who shares? Who doesnt? What can we do about it? HeatherPiwowar PresentedatUBCBLISS,Sept2010 DataONEpostdocwithDryadandNESCent,@UBC PhDinDeptofBiomedicalInformatics,UofPittsburgh
13. Find Organize Document Deidentify Format Decide Ask Submit Answer questions Worry about mistakes being found Worry about data being misinterpreted Worry about being scooped Forgo money and IP and prestige???
19. youcannotmanage whatyoudonotmeasure quote: Lord Kelvin http://www.flickr.com/photos/archeon/2941655917/
20. As we seek to embrace and encourage data sharing, understanding patterns of adoption will allow us to make informed decisions about tools, policies, and best practices. Measuring adoption over time will allow us to note progress and identify best practices and opportunities for improvement.
21. researchquestions 1. Is there benet for those who share? 2. How can we study data sharing behaviour in a scalable, systematic way? 3. What factors are correlated with sharing and withholding data?
35. currencyofvalue? Citations. $50! Diamond,Arthur M. What is a Citation Worth?. The Journal of Human Resources (1986) vol. 21 (2) pp. 200-215
36. dataset 85 cancer microarray trials published in 1999-2003, as identied by Ntzani and Ioannidis (2003) citations ISI Web of Science Citation index, citations from 2004-2005 data sharing locations Publisher and lab websites, microarray databases, WayBack Internet Archive, Oncomine statistics Multivariate linear regression
37. Note: log scale
39. 2. Need automated methods to: a) Identify studies that create datasets b) Determine which of these have in fact been shared c) Extract attributes about the environment
40. a) Identify studies that create datasets http://www.ickr.com/photos/lofaesofa/248546821/