1. firstname.lastname@example.org Open Educational Resources & Open Access Sara Rutter | OER Librarian Outreach College University of Hawaii Manoa
2. Words associated with OER & OA Educational Web Create Shared Free Revisable Reusable Open Social Justice Affordability
3. OER is... "The open provision of educational resources, enabled by information and communication technologies, for consultation, use and adaptation by a community of users for non- commercial purposes." UNESCO, 2002
4. OER is... "The idea behind Open Educational Resources (OER) is simple but powerfuleducational materials made freely and legally available on the Internet for anyone to reuse, revise, remix and redistribute." William & Flora Hewlett Foundation, 2013
5. David Wiley: Defining the "Open" in Open Content The term "open content" describes any copyrightable work ... that is licensed in a manner that provides users with free and perpetual permission to engage in the 5R activities.
6. 5 R Activities Retain - the right to make, own, and control copies of the content Reuse - the right to use the content in a wide range of ways Revise - the right to adapt, adjust, modify, or alter the content itself Remix - the right to combine the original or revised content with other open content to create something new Redistribute - the right to share copies of the original content, your revisions, or your remixes with others
7. Rights granted in Creative Commons Licensing
8. Students struggle to complete degrees
9. uh oh!
10. Student Public Interest Research Groups --65% of students have decided against purchasing or renting a required textbook --94% of these students believed this choice would hurt their grade
11. Financing a college education American College Health Association (2014), finances are the second-largest stressor for students after academicsmore than a third of students described finances as traumatic or very difficult to handle.
12. Financing a college education About one in four first-year students and one in three seniors frequently did not purchase required academic materials due to their cost, and a third of students believed that financial concerns interfered with their academic performance. NSSE Annual Report 2012
13. OER implementation in higher education
14. OER at the University of Hawaii Honolulu Community College Leeward Community College Kapiolani Community College UH Manoa Outreach College UH Manoa Library oer.hawaii.edu
15. Is it worth the effort? Yes! Committing to OA and OER --Students have access to required/needed materials on the first day of class --Instructors can tailor the materials to their students and to their instructional needs --An opportunity to redesign courses for todays learners.
16. Recommendations -Start applying Creative Commons licensing and practice licensing your creative works. -Add your course materials to the UH OER Repository oer.hawaii.edu/admin -Check out the OER Guides, guides.oer.hawaii.edu
17. Attribution "Open Content" by David Wiley is licensed under CC BY 4.0 "National Survey of Student Engagement Annual Results 2012" by Indiana University Center for Postsecondary Research "ACHA National College Health Assessment Spring 2014" by American College Health Association "How College Students Battled Textbook Publishers To A Draw, In 3 Graphs" by David Kestnebaum Ethan Senack, Open Textbooks: the billion dollar solution Student PIRGS is licensed under CC BY 4.0 The era of the textbook cartel and $300 textbooks is ending, as the college textbook bubble shows signs of deflating" by Mark J. Perry, American Enterprise Institute. (Carpe Diem) Images "Delivery-Scooter" by Luis Prado, Noun Project is licensed under CC BY 4.0 / A derivative from the original work "Drowning" by OCHA Visual Information Unit, Noun Project is in the Public Domain, CC0