Some well known biologists who carved a path in science and biology.
2. Its Greek To Me 3. Anaximander
- Developed theory that human beings evolved fromfish
- Father of Modern Medicine. Hippocratic Oath was named for him. WroteCorpus Hippocraticum
- The World Medical Association's logo features a serpent wrapped around a staff, thesymbolof the ancient Greek god Asklepios. Aesculapius, worshipped by the Greeks as the god of healing, who originated in ancient Egypt as Imhotep, high-priest, sage and minister to the pharaoh, Zoser. It is significant that thissymbolis reminiscent of the Staff of Moses. The World Health Organisation's logo also contains the ancient religioussymbolof the serpent and staff, which is superimposed over the United Nations emblem.
- Observed and classified animals
- WroteParts of Animals ,On Plants ,History of Animals and Generation of Animals .
- Known as Father of biology and Founder of Zoology
- Father ofExperimental Physiology
- Wrote On theNatural Faculties
- Established idea ofpulmonary circulation
7. English 8. Robert Hooke
- First person to observe cells
- WroteMicrographia(1665), which was a milestone in the history of microscopy
- Introduced termcellsin his work
9. Edward Jenner
- Performed first vaccination against smallpox
- Pioneer of immunology and virology
10. Charles Robert Darwin
- Noted for histheory of evolutionthrough process of natural selection
- Wrote On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection , or the Preservation of Favored Races in the Struggle for Life .
11. Alfred Russell Wallace
- Known for independent discovery of evolutionary change at same time as Darwin.
- His travels took him along the Amazon River and Rio Negro and to Malay Archipelego
12. Italian 13. Leonardo Da Vinci
- Helped formulate modern anatomical study through his notebooks
14. Giovanni Batista Morgagni
- Published on The Seats and Causes of Disease.(1761)
- This demonstrated thatdiseases start in specific organs of the bodyand are scattered throughout the body
- Also described many diseases of the heart and blood vessels
- Founder of Pathological Anatomy.
15. Others 16. Anton van Leeuwenhoek (Dutch) 1623-1723
- DiscoveredBacteriawith Microscope
- Known as Father of Microbiology
17. Johann Gregor Mendel (Austrian)
- Discovered basic principles of heredity through a breeding experiment withpeasin the monastery garden.
- His work laid the foundation for new science ofgenetics .
18. Louis Pasteur (French)
- Killed microbes with heat and saved wine industry in 1864.
- Later his method,pasteurization , helped preserve milk, beer and food.
- Proved value ofvaccinationby vaccinating sheep against anthrax, thus founding science of immunity.
- Developedcure for rabies .
- Disproved theory ofspontaneous generation
19. George Washington Carver (American) 1864-1943
- Revolutionized Southern Agriculture
- Developed numerous products from peanuts, sweet potatoes, and pecans.
- Called Plant Doctor and known as Father of Chemurgy
20. Sir Alexander Fleming (Scottish)
- Discovered penicillin in 1928.
21. Rachel Louise Carson (American)
- Known for concern for the ecology and the environment, and especially for opposition to the indiscriminate use of pesticides.
- Wrote Sea Around Us (1951) and Silent Spring
22. James D. Watson and Francis H. Crick (American)
- DiscoveredStructure of DNAfor which they shared Nobel Prize for physiology of medicine in 1962.
- Wrote Double Helix (1953).
- The double helix is the two intertwined coils that form the crystalline structure of DNA