This was a quick 15 minute overview of the concept of personal learning environments. The audience was comprised of learning technologists from across the University of Wisconsin. Feb 2009
Text of Intro to Personal Learning Environments
1. Personal Learning Environments ComETS Emerging Trends Feb. 19, 2009 Jeff Bohrer DoIT Academic Technology
2. Whats the Problem? Email Newsletters Magazines Headlines Meetings Conversations 3. Learning is not exclusively formal
4. What is a Personal Learning Environment?
5. What is a Personal Learning Environment?
PLE is a tool that allows a learner toengagein a network of people, services, and resources.
- Stephen Downes
6. Key Components of a PLE
Links to our community networks*
7. UW System eLearning task force, 2008 Todays LMS 8. PLE UW System eLearning task force, 2008 9. What is todays PLE?
10. 11. 12. 13. 14. 15. 16. ...enabling you to scan, organise, remix, and republish entries from your feeds to everything from Twitter to bibliographic databases getfeedforward.org 17. elgg.org 18. Challenges for Campus IT
Ensure flexible learning systems
Advance web services
Promote community networks
Model engaged participation
19. Learn@UW and Moodle 20. Participate! 21. For further exploration
Web 2.0, Personal Learning Environments, and the Future of Learning Management Systems ECAR Bulletin June 2008