1. Ig Nobel Prize First LAUGH, Then THINK Pranamesh Chakraborty Department of Civil Engineering Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
2. Organized by: Annals of Improbable Research (AIR) Held every year early October at Harvard Universitys Sanders Theatre First started in 1991 Prizes distributed by genuine Nobel laureates Introduction
4. Some notable Ig Nobel prize winners 2013: Probability Prize Bert Tolkamp, Marie Haskell, Fritha Langford, David Roberts and Colin Morgan Two related discoveries : First, the longer a cow has been lying down, the more likely that cow will soon stand up Second, once a cow stands up, you cannot easily predict how soon that cow will lie down again.
5. Tolkamp, B. J.; Haskell, M. J.; Langford, F. M.; Roberts, D. J.; Morgan, C. A. (2010). "Are cows more likely to lie down the longer they stand?". Applied Animal Behaviour Science 124: 1. doi:10.1016/j.applanim.2010.02.004
6. Some notable Ig Nobel prize winners (Contd.) 2011: Chemistry Makoto Imai, Naoki Urushihata, Hideki Tanemura, Yukinobu Tajima, Hideaki Goto, Koichiro Mizoguchi and Junichi Murakami Determining the ideal density of airborne wasabi (pungent horseradish) Invention of Wasabi Fire Alarm
7. Some notable Ig Nobel prize winners (Contd.) 2012: Literature US Government General Accountability Office (GAO) Report for the Department of Defense (DOD): Defense Management: Actions Needed to Evaluate the Impact of Efforts to Estimate Costs of Reports and Studies. A report about reports about reports that recommends the preparation of a report about the report about reports about reports Report Infinity
8. Some notable Ig Nobel prize winners (Contd.) Make Love, Not War 2007: Peace Prize Air Force Flight Laboratory, Dayton, Ohio, USA Thought of developing Gay Bomb REFERENCE: "Harassing, Annoying, and 'Bad Guy' Identifying Chemicals," Wright Laboratory, WL/FIVR, Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio, June 1, 1994.
9. Notable Ig Nobel winners in Literature 1992 Yuri Struchkov from the Institute of Organoelemental Compounds. Published 948 scientific papers between 1981 and 1990. Averaging more than ONE every FOUR days.
10. Notable Ig Nobel winners in Literature 1993 The GUSTO Investigators for their 10 page medical research paper. 976 researchers from 16 countries were authors of this paper.
11. Notable Ig Nobel winners in Literature 1999 British Standard Institution For a 6 page specification (BS-6008) About the proper way to make a cup of Tea
12. Some notable Ig Nobel prize winners (Contd.) 2005: Gauri Nanda of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Invention of the Clocky Alarm An alarm clock that runs away and hides, repeatedly, thus ensuring that people DO get out of bed and thereby awarded Ig Nobel in the field of Economics Clocky Alarm video
13. Some notable Ig Nobel prize winners (Contd.) 2003: Peace Lal Bihari Mritak of Uttar Pradesh Awarded for Triple accomplishment 1. Leading active life even though officially declared DEAD 2. waging a lively posthumous campaign against bureaucratic inertia and greedy relatives 3. Creating the Mritak Sangh or Association of Dead People
14. Some notable Ig Nobel prize winners (Contd.) 2006: Peace Howard Stapleton Awarded for invention of the Mosquito Device electromechanical Teenager Repellent device The Mosquito Device Video
15. Few other Ig Nobel prize winners at a glance 2012: Acoustics: Kazutaka Kurihara and Koji Tsukada for Speech fdfdf Jammer. 2006 Mathematics: Nic Svenson and Piers Barnes for Blink- sfssfs Free Group Photo calculation. And many more..
16. References: Tolkamp, B. J.; Haskell, M. J.; Langford, F. M.; Roberts, D. J.; Morgan, C. A. (2010). "Are cows more likely to lie down the longer they stand?". Applied Animal Behaviour Science 124: 1. doi:10.1016/j.applanim.2010.02.004 US patent application 2010/0308995 A1; filing date: Feb 5, 2009. Product info [from Seems, Inc.]. Actions Needed to Evaluate the Impact of Efforts to Estimate Costs of Reports and Studies," US Government General Accountability Office report GAO-12- 480R, May 10, 2012. - See more at: http://www.improbable.com/ig/winners/#sthash.0ESQ02Yo.dpuf Blink-Free Photos, Guaranteed Velocity, June 2006 http://www.improbable.com/ig/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ig_Nobel_Prize