2. HOW DID FILM EDITING START? Film editing started in 1895 when the Lumiere brothers invented something called Cinematography. Cinematography was a device that recorded, captured and projected motion pictures. Cinematography is Greek for movements
3. WHAT HAPPENED AFTER THAT ? Despite the fact that the Lumiere brothers had made a great invention, until 1901 when Edwin.S.Porter came along. Edwin.S.Porter showed everyone that the film didnt have to be one long shot. Whoever the Lumiere brothers did have a long time with the fame and glory. Edwin.S.Porter used footage to tell a different story, unrelated to what footage originally was meant to portray.
4. D.W.GRIFFITHS Then the film world evolved once again. In 1908 a guy called D.W.Griffiths made a film called For love of Gold. What was special about this film was that it was the first ever film with continuity.
5. MOVIEOLA A Moviola is a device that allows a film editor to view film while editing. It was the first machine for motion picture editing when it was invented by Iwan Serrurier in 1924. Moviola the company is still in existence and is located in Hollywood where part of the facility is located on one of the original Moviola factory floors.
6. RUSSIAN CINEMA A very important person appeared called Lev Kuleshov. He developed Russian cinema by creating something called the Kuleshov . The Kuleshov effect is a more meaning from the interaction of two sequential shots than from a single shot in isolation. For example a lot of horror films do it to build up tension. So if the actor is looking at a door to an actors expression then back to where the actor is looking at. Then something might happen. This will make the audience jump with freight.