Abridged version of Facebook PowerPoint that was shown at the 2010 Christa McAuliffe Technology Conference.
- 1.Facebook: Beyond Friends, Family and FarmVille Selena Garrison, Technology Integration Fall Mountain Regional School District Welcome to the Real Facebook Christa McAuliffe Technology Conference December 2, 2010
- More than 500 million active users
- More than 6 billion minutes are spent on ch day.
- More than 30 billion pieces of content are shared each month.
- People spend over 700 billion minutes per month on Facebook
Facebook Is Too Big To Ignore 3.
- Is connected to 80 pages, groups and events
- Creates 90 pieces of content each month
- Spends over 55 minutes on Facebook every day.
The Average Facebook User . 4.
- More than 70 translations available
- 70% of Facebook users live outside of the U.S.
- 26.22% of the worlds population currently use Facebook.
- If Facebook were a country, it would be the third largest country in the world.
Facebook Is Global 5. Top Facebook Countries 6. Facebook Has Apps
- More than 550,000 active applications
- More than 250 applications have more than one million monthly active users
- 200 million active users currently access Facebook through their mobile devices.
- Mobile device users are twice as active on Facebook than non-mobile users.
- There are more than 200 mobile operators in 60 countries working to deploy and promote Facebook mobile products
Facebook Is Mobile 8.
- Over 80% of businesses are using Facebook
- There are over 1.5 million local businesses with Facebook pages.
Facebook Is Business http://facebookflow.com/amazing-facebook-statistics/ 9. Facebook Is Growing
- Estimated value of $50 billion, exceeding eBays $39.4 billion
- Only two web companies are worth more than Facebook: Amazon, at $74.4 billion and Google, at $192.9 billion.
- More than 20 million people become fans of Facebook fan pages every single day.
- Facebook fan pages have created more than 5.3 billion fans.
- Over 3 million active Facebook fan pages.
Facebook Is Fanatical 11. How Facebook Makes Sense for Education
- Showcasing classroom activities
12. Before you proceed you must ask Is Facebook an educational tool? 13. Basic Facebook Facts
- Minimum age for an account is 13!
- Key information- birth date and gender
- Fueled on marketing and applications
14. Facebook Is An Adult World
- its what you are exposed to.
15. Facebook: Beyond Friends, Family and FarmVille Here is where you can find our students and also the following 16. Interesting Facebook Email A friend received an email with the subject line of Dead. with no message 17. 18. A Convicted Murderer With his victim listed asone of his friends and wehave 3 friends in common Mulberry man pleads guilty to 1st degree murder 19. 20. Ready to Play? The World of Facebook Games Our students are definitely playing 21. Facebook is now challenging Xbox and Wii for gaming 22. Food For Thought http://www.zynga.com/about/numbers.php 23. The Hottest New Game Rise through the ranks of the mafiaand take over the city in thisnext gen crime game!Build up your hood, do jobs, and fight other players! http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/crimecity?v=info 24. How Sexy Is Your Name? http://apps.facebook.com/apps/application.php?id=133735099988606 25. Playboy Party Live the Playboy lifestyle, with all the glitz, glamour and luxury that comes with it. 26. Bar World 27. 28. On Facebook, you should
- Be aware of how others might respond to you
29. After seeing all of this, are you still willing to proceed? 30. Customizing Facebook Settings to help make Facebook safer *Look for Links, Locks, and Lead 31. 32. Home Page or Wallin Most Recent View 33. Home Page or Wallin Top News View 34. Viewing Requests from Your Home Page 35. Blocking an Application Invitation 36. Hiding Annoying Applications from Appearing on Your Home Page 37. Creating a Friends List Friends lists help you to easily choose who sees what 38. Go to Account > Edit Friends Steps to Creating a Friends List 39. Enter a list name, select friends, and click Create List Above your friends list, click on Create New List 40. Your new list will now be on the left side 41. Customize Your Updates:Choose Who Sees What Your friends lists will now be very useful 42. Choose names or a friends list 43. Does everyone need to know whats on your mind? 44. Account Settings Do you really need more email? 45. CheckAllPrivacy Settings 46. How Others Will See You 47. What You Share About Yourself Every photo album has its own settings. Check all photos. Dont assume that theyre safe. Uncheck this box! 48. Choose Custom Settings When Possible 49. 50. Check All Applications Delete all applications that you dont you use! 51. Control What Your Friends Share to Apps I uncheck every box 52. Instant Personalization Is Too Personal You have to opt out! Uncheck this box. 53. Do You Want To Be Googled? Uncheck this box if you dont want to be found by a Google search 54. Hate Ads?
- Get an ad-blocking add-on or extension
55. Final Considerations
- Does it have to be Facebook?
- For young kids, there isTogetherVille
- For classes, there isEdmodoorMoodle
- Consider a second Facebook account- keep your worlds separated
- If you want to use Facebook, here is an interestingclassroomexample.