2. Goals for today Discuss Devitt, Bawarshi, and Reiff Find your three articles Understand how to write your Preliminary Genre Analysis assignment Be ready to work on this assignment as much as possible before Monday.
3. Write What is genre analysis? What does it allow us to do? Find a quote to support your response Hint: Look at pg. 541-545 and 553-557.
4. Ethnography? GenreStudy?Genre analysis links patterns of languageuse to patterns of social behavior (542).Genre study allows students andresearchers to recognize how livedtextuality plays a role in the livedexperience of a group. Teaching studentshow to analyze genres can providediscipline and focus to the study ofdiscourse communities (542).
5. From Carolyn Miller (quotedby Bawarshi) Genres are not just forms. Genres are forms of life, ways of being. They are frames for social action  locations within which meaning is constructed. Genres shape the thoughts we form and the communications by which we interact. Genres are the familiar places we go to create intellible communicative action with each other and the guideposts we use to explore the unfamiliar (550).
6. Please reply to thisstatus with a briefintroduction aboutyourself. What isyour major? Whereare you from? Whatare your interests?What do you hopeto gain out of compII?
7. Jury Instructions? Might? Genre analysis strong suggests that the specialist and nonspecialist users have different beliefs, interests, and purposes as well as levels of knowledge (543). students should see the messiness and especially the exclusiveness of genres (543). Juries do not and cannot interpret the genre the way its creators intended, as lawyers would, and cannot render verdicts that follow those instructions fully and accurately, thus resulting in significant consequences, particularly for defendants (544).
8. Homework and RemindersRead Devitt (posted on Facebook) andtake notes in your journalWork on your Preliminary Genre AnalysispaperYou can send me drafts at any point
9. In your groups Each group gets a section from the assignment sheet (Patterns, Subject, Participants, Features) Lookthrough the questions listed in your section, and write 1-3 paragraphs that address those questions. Type and post on your FB Page.
10. ExampleSetting: Where did you find your article? What other articles were published in thesame issue or journal? How did you access your article? The article, Materiality and Genre in the Study of DiscourseCommunities, written by Amy Devitt, Anis Bawarshi, and Mary Jo Reiff, waspublished in the 2003 issue of College English. According to the journals website,College English is the professional journal for the college scholar-teacher. CEpublishes articles about literature, rhetoric-composition, critical theory, creativewriting theory and pedagogy, linguistics, literacy, reading theory, pedagogy, andprofessional issues related to the teaching of English. Each issue also includesopinion pieces, review essays, and letters from readers. This article was alsopublished along with multiple other pieces concerning how genres mediateactivities in discourse communities. These articles include Amy Devitts,Assignment by Design, which focuses on how teachers can help studentsunderstand how to analyze genres more effectively. Though I accessed thisarticle through the online database EBSCO Host, the journal is also published andavailable in hard copy.
11. What to work on? Find your articles Start your analysis. Look at the patterns. Read Devitt before Monday, and take notes in your journal.