Learn the elements of poetry through a quick and easy PowerPoint.
Text of Elements of poetry pp
1. Elements of Poetry Created by MaggyWiergowski
2. What is Poetry? An art involving language Conveys emotion or ideas Captures audience attention through literary devices
3. Elements of Poetry Metaphor Simile Alliteration Rhyme
4. Metaphor A figure of speech Compares two unlike things In order to show something in common
5. Metaphor Example you soul is an appalling dump heap overflowing with the most disgraceful assortment of rubbish imaginable mangled up in tangled up knots! MykiRoventine, 347/365 Youre a Mean One, December 13, 2009 via flickr, Creative Commons Attribution.
6. Simile A type of metaphor Still compares two unlike things Compares using like or as
7. Simile Example Does it dry up like a raisin in the sun? Dottie Mae, Raisins, November 18, 2010 via flickr, Creative Commons Attribution.
8. Alliteration Repetition of initial sounds Most often starts with same letter Or a similar ending sound Can give poems a sing song feel.
9. Alliteration Example Three grey geese in a green field grazing, grey were the geese and green was the grazing. Wildcat Dunny, Geese, June 11, 2005 Via Fllickr, Creative Commons Attribution.
10. Rhyme Similar sounds between words Usually takes place at end of line Often focuses on the last syllables
11. Rhyme Example I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them, Sam I am. Ben Husmann, Green Egg & Ham,March 17, 2006via Flickr, Creative Commons Attribution
12. NOW LETS PRACTICE! Microsoft Clipart
13. When I go out to campI always bring a lamp. Is this an example of.. Metaphor Simile Alliteration Rhyme D Camp and Lamp
14. Her Smile radiated like the sun. This is an example of Metaphor Simile Alliteration Rhyme B Smile is compared to the Sun using the word like.
15. Silly Sally sat under the stars. This is an example of Metaphor Simile Alliteration Rhyme c Repetition of the S sound.
16. Billys Hair reminds me of a shaggy dog. This is an example of Metaphor Simile Alliteration Rhyme
Hair is compared to a shaggy dog.
17. References Geisel, Theodor Seuss. "Mr. Grinch." Songs and Carols A-Z. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Sept. 2011. . Hughes, Langston. "A Dreamed Deferred." A Dream Deferred. N.p., 25 June 1996. Web. 27 Sept. 2011. http://www.cswnet.com/~menamc/langston.htm. Goose, Mother. "Three Grey Geese." Your Dictionary. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Sept. 2011. . Geisel, Theodor Seuss. "Green Eggs and Ham." Early Moments. N.p., n.d. Web. 27 Sept. 2011. .