Text of Early diagnosis of esl learners' reading levels
1. RASHIDAH BT RAHAMAT PARILAH BT MOHD SHAH SHARIFAH NOR BT PUTEH ROSSENI BT DIN
Ong (1999) : reading book habits have lost its charm
The essenceof readingis to understand what is read.
However, not many students enjoy reading especially thematerials written in the language which is not their native language.
Steinberg (1986) highlights5 principles of reading:-
A) involve only meaningful words, phrases, and sentences
B) depend on speech understanding
C) not depend on teaching new language or concept
D) do not depend on teaching writing
a process which involve a lot of sensory, perceptual and linguistic abilities..and takesyears to fully master ( Cats et alandNation 2005)
2 components ofreading :
Decodingprinted words Understanding the message 5. Form continuoushypotheses about the wordsseen ReadingProcesses Visualize thewritten info,Identify meaning of words 6. READERSKnowledge InterestPurposeAbilityMATERIALS No of words Length ofwords Syntax 7.
1) identifythe readinglevels among the secondaryschool students
2) identifytheirattitudes towards reading in English.
1) What are the reading levels among the secondary school students?
2) What arethe studentsvocabulary level based on the diagnostic tests?
3) What are thestudentsgrammatical level based on the diagnostic tests?
4) What are the students attitudes towards reading in general?
*37 Form Four Students
MixedEnglish language proficiency
Diagnostic Reading Testby KPM (1994) for CRP Program
MikuleckyBehavioralReading Attitude Measureby Richardson et al (2006)
Data collection :
administeredcollaborativelywith the English language teacher in the school
Done twice: a) the diagnostic test andb) reading attitude survey
Data Analysis: descriptive analysis - percentages
11. LevelsN % Elementary 27 72 Intermediate 10 27 Advance 0 0 12. Range of correct answers N % 0-5 30 81 6-10 7 19 11-15 0 0 16-20 0 0 13. Range of Correct answers N % 0-5 14 38 6-10 15 41 11-15 8 22 16-20 0 0 21-25 0 0 26-30 0 0 31-35 0 0 36-40 0 0 41-45 0 0 46-50 0 0 51-55 0 0 14. Attitudes Levels N % Above Average 15 36 Average14 33 Below Average 1 2 Not Available 7 29 15.
Respondents generally havea very limited vocabulary and weakgrammar foundation for Englishlanguage
These tend to affectunderstanding
Irujo (2005) :
problem of ELLin reading is the kind of support given
Lack of proficiencydue to external factors which would eventually cure with time and support
Teachers shape their approaches and materials
Teachers are the key success to their students success in the classroom
Diagnosing the students readinglevel shall give a lot of benefits to teachers in planning a suitable instructions and resources that would fit in the students ability
It shall help teachers to choose the right channelto make the students be motivated to read and understand reading materialsinthetarget language