This was a presentation given at the RASA conference in May 2012
Text of Discover the potential of the internet to engage your students in the writing process
1. Discover the potential of the Internet to engageyour students in the writing process (RASA presentation) by Fiona Beal email@example.com http://schoolnetsa.blogspot.com
2. Introducing myself Have taught Grades 1 - 7 and was then appointed as Computer teacher at a local primary school where I made writing the hub of the computer room. Now working for SchoolNet SA in professional development in technology-integration. Am a Web 2 fanatic for FREE sites! Writing is my passion I am a textbook and story writer, a blogger, a creator of technology integration courses, etc.
3. Background to this presentation (this is an explanation oflearners not being keen on writing in general and the importance of good pedagogy in writing lessons)
4. The importance of pedagogy in writing they must WANT to write
5. Our digital learners start young these days http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_zzPBbXjWs
6. The Internet is the teachers friend!
7. Learn from the multitude of resource wikis available http://cooltoolsforschools.wikispaces.com/Writing+Tools
39. Some of Microsoftsfree tools can help you produce fabulous writing from your learners
40. Microsofts free Songsmith the learners writethe lyrics and Songsmith creates music for them http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oGFogwcx-E
41. Microsofts free AutocollageThe learners could create autocollages and then write poemsabout their pictures. This was done by an 8 year old at a school inJohannesburg.
42. Windows MovieMaker can be used in so many ways using the writing process http://techblog.stcyprians.net/index/category/Innovative%20Students Grade 8 Science students were asked to create an HIV Aids Awareness campaign using Microsoft Movie Maker. One of the outstanding submissions was entitled Nandis Story and it tells the heartbreaking story of a teenage girl diagnosed with HIV Aids.http://www.youtube