Text of difference structuralism & post-structuralism
1. Differences: Structuralism & Post-structuralism Name: Saryu D. Baraiya Subject: Literary Theory & Criticism (Paper-VII) Roll No: 27 Study: M.A. Year: Semester II Submitted to: Department of English University: Maharaja Krishnakumarsinhji Bhavnagar University
2. Differences: Structuralism & Post-structuralism Structuralism: o It is a literary theory. o It can be related it with text and make study of text. o System of recurrent patterns or motifs. o Studied the underlying structure. Post-structuralism: o Post-structuralism is a response to Structuralism. o The rejection of the self-sufficiency of the structures. o Closely related to Post-modernism. o Argues that study of underlying structure is reason of bias and misinterpretation. o Study must be done on base of knowledge.
3. Differences: Structuralism & Post-structuralism Two types of differences: Differences: Structuralism & Post-structuralism Practical Difference Theoretical Difference
4. Differences: Structuralism & Post-structuralism Theoretical Difference Origins Tone and Style Attitude to Language Project By
5. Differences: Structuralism & Post-structuralism Origin Structuralism Post-structuralism Derives from Linguistics. Observe accurately. Collect data systematically. Logical deduction. Able to find reliable conclusion. Inherits Scientific outlook. Believes in system, method and reason. Able to establish reliable truth. Derives from Philosophy. It is just oral. Sceptical by nature. Usually undercuts. Questions notions and assumption. Inherits habit of scepticism. Fully conscious about the irony and paradox.
6. Differences: Structuralism & Post-structuralism Tone & Style Structuralism Post-structuralism Abstraction and Generalization Derivation from linguistic science Example: Introduction to the Structural Analysis of Narrative (1966) by Roland Barthes. Tone: Typical Step by step exposition. Complete with diagrams Style: Neutral and Typical Scientific writing Aim: Scientific coolness Much more emotive Bas on a word play Puns and Allusion Tone: Urgent and Euphoric Style: Flamboyant and Self- consciously showy Aim: An engaged warmth
7. Differences: Structuralism & Post-structuralism Attitude to Language Structuralism Post-structuralism The linguistic medium An orderly system Not choice Use: To think and to perceive Language is threat Reality is textual Not achieving any knowledge through language Verbal sign Meanings are fluid Not fully in control of language Constantly SLIPPAGE of subject Metaphorical base of words Use: to deconstruct a text
8. Differences: Structuralism & Post-structuralism Project By Structuralism Post-structuralism Questions our way of structuring and categorizing reality Free of habitual modes of perception or categorization More reliable view of thing Much more fundamental Human being as an independent entity Individual is a product of social and linguistic force Tissue of textualities Scepticism as torch Burn away intellectual ground Western civilization built on it
9. Differences: Structuralism & Post-structuralism Practical Differences: Structuralism Post-structuralism o Parallels / Echoes o Balances oReflections / Repetitions o Symmetry o Contrasts o Patterns o Effect: to show textual unity and coherence o Contradictions/ Paradox o Shifts/ Breaks in: Tone, Viewpoint, Tense, Time, Person, Attitude o Conflicts o Absences/ Omissions o Linguistic quirks o Aporia o Effect: to show textual disunity