- 1. Dewey Decimal Classification System Developed by Karen Ward
Library Media Specialist Eichold-Mertz Elementary School
2. Who created theDewey Decimal Classification System ?
- Melvil Deweywas born on December 10, 1851
- Melvil Deweycreated the number order system for library books
when he was 21 years old.
- Melvil Deweystarted the first school for librarians.
3. Ten Main Classifications in DeweysSystem
- The worlds knowledge is divided into10categories or
- Each group has a main title and is represented by three
4. The Big Ten!
- Geography & History - 900
Brings order to the massive amount of world knowledge 5. You Can
Judge A Book by Its Cover!
- The Dewey Decimal Classification call number can be found on
the spine label.
- When the book is shelved, the Dewey Decimal Classification call
number can be easily seen.
500 Lee 200Bya 000 Mea 6. Generalities - 000
Encyclopedias, References 7. Philosophy - 100
Man thinks 8. Religion - 200
About God 9. Social Science - 300
About mans neighbors 10. Language - 400
Man talks with other men 11. Natural Science& Math - 500
Man discovers all that is around him 12. Technology 600
Man makes useful things 13. The Arts - 700
- Recreational & performing arts
Man makes beautiful things 14. Literature - 800
- Literatures of Other Languages
Man writes 15. Geography& History - 900
Man writes abouttravel, people, andevents 16. Flashback!What Do
- Who created the Dewey Decimal Classification System?
- What does the DDCS do for our library?
- How manymainclassifications are there?
- Where do you find the DDCS number on a library book?
17. Resources Used
- All clipart taken from the Microsoft Clipart web site:
- Information on the Dewey Decimal Classification taken
- Weisburg, H. & Toor, R.Teachers Portfolio of Library
SkillsLessons & Activities(1985). The Center for Applied
Research inEducation, Inc.