“A defect is an operation or function that fails to meet the products
specification…. To be precise a defect is any non-conformity in a software
product or process”
Q: What is defect…?
Defect discovery process…
• The defect discovering process enables us to identify defects.• This process involves reveling defects and bringing the defect to the notice of the development team.• The development team then acknowledges
the defect as valid and fix the defect.• The tester verifies and close the defect in the
Defect tracking life cycle…
Reporting a defect
Verifies fixes internally
Verifies the fixes
Closing or reopening defect based on the defect status
Fixing the defect
Acknowledging the defect
Raising a defect
Finding Defects…• Every software development project plans for a set of activities
that are specially designed and performed to uncover defects.• There are three broad categories for detecting defects.
checks to examine the quality of the product being developed.
– Dynamic technique Refers to the process of executing software test
to find defects.– Operational technique Involves end users testing the system at the
operational level and discovering defects that are not identified during the testing process.
The three category of defect finding techniques are
jointly required for an effective defect
management program in an organization.
Static Dynamic Operational
“Static technique are more effective at finding defects in the early phase of the SDLC”
Categorizing defects…On the basis of•Functionality •Severity•Priority
On the Basis of functionality
• Interface- related• Navigational • Functional
• High Severity• Medium severity• Low severity
On the Basis of severity
Signifies that a major issue occurred where a function or a major system component is not working at all. There is no workaround and testing cannot continue
Signifies that a major issue occurred where a function or a major system component is not working properly. However there is a workaround and testing can continue.Signifies that a minor issue occurred that costs some loss of functions. However workaround and testing can proceed without interruption.
On the basis of priority…• High priority• Medium priority• Low priority
Signifies that a defect has a major impact on the customer. This must be immediately fixed
Signifies that a defect has a major impact on the customer. The problem should be fixed before the release of the current version in development
Signifies that a defect has a minor impact on the customer. The flaw should be fixed if there is time, but it can be deferred until the next release.
Acknowledging defects…• Acknowledging defects is common in
software testing environment• Even though defect acknowledgment
is a crucial stage in the defect life cycle, there are often delays in the process.
• One of the prominent reasons for delays in the acknowledgment of the defect is when the testing team is unable to replicate the defect report for the development team
Defect management process
• The defect management process, involves defect recording, defect reporting, keeping track of the defect using defect tracking tool.
• Defect recording defects are identified and recorded at each stage of the testing process.
Why to record???
• 4 purpose– To correct the defect– To report the status of the application– To gather statistics – To further improve for software development
Defect reporting• A defect report describes those
which are present in the software..
• A defect report should provide complete information on the defect to both the testing team and the team responsible for fixing the defect.
Contents of defect report• A unique identification no. for the defect.• The defect name and type.• Source of the defect• Severity of the defect.• Priority assigned to the defect.• The current status of the defect.• Detailed description of the defect.• The platform and operating system implemented.• The steps performed when the defect occurs.• The location of the defect with screen shots.• The Person responsible for testing.• The person responsible for fixing the defect.