1. Using Chrome Extensions and Apps for Literacy Sharon Neveu
2. Extensions or apps: extend the functionality of the browser (Chrome) and how you view websites. Available at the Google Chrome store.
3. Extensions vs Apps? What's the Difference Between a Chrome Web App and an Extension? Apps The Chrome Web Store introduces the concept of installable web apps. These apps will live alongside extensions and themes in the store, which will become the one-stop shop for all three types of installable components. So what exactly are installable web apps and how do they differ from extensions? Im glad you asked Apps= applications you can run inside your browser with a dedicated user interface and, typically, rich user interaction. (Once installed, use the apps launcher to access.) Extensions also provide functionality, but unlike apps, there is little or no UI component. Instead, they extend the functionality of Google Chrome and the websites being viewed in it. For example, they can extend Google Chrome by adding a new button to the address bar
4. Click Apps Launcher, then click Web Store or Google Chrome Web store Chrome web store https://chrome.google.com/webstore Enter name of Extension or App in search box. Extensions & Apps
5. Google Chrome Extensions and Apps Extensions: Read&Write for Google Readability Extensity BeeLine Reader BookShare (for SpEd students) Adblock Plus Checker Plus for Google Drive Google Voice, Hangouts Apps: NewsELA VoiceNote II EasyBib Google Keep Snapverter MindMeister Kaizena Go to Chrome webstore: https://chrome.google.com/webstore
6. Read&Write for Google
7. Boost reading and writing confidence. Offer support for Google Docs/web to students with learning difficulties, dyslexia or ELL/ESL. Read&Write for Google offers a range of powerful support tools to help students gain confidence with reading and writing, including: Hear words, passages, or whole documents read aloud with easy-to-follow dual color highlighting See the meaning of words explained with text and picture dictionaries Hear text translated into other languages Get suggestions for the current or next word as you type Turn words into text as you speak Highlight text in documents or the web and collect for use in other documents Simplify and summarize text on web pages
8. Read&Write for Google is a user-friendly chrome extension for use with PCs, Macs and Chromebooks. It works with web pages and common file types in Google Drive, including: - Google Docs - PDF - ePub - Kes Install Read&Write for Google to access ALL of these features FREE for 30 days! After 30 days, you can still access Read Aloud and Translator features in Google Docs and web pages. Premium features for Google Docs, web, PDF, ePub, and Kes files are available by purchasing a subscription for single users, groups of users, or domains. Teachers can get a FREE premium subscription to Read&Write for Google. To register and activate your subscription, go to rw.texthelp.com/freeforteachers after installing the Read&Write for Google trial. Get more information on Read&Write for Google features, licensing, and pricing at http://rw.texthelp.com/drive/Support/premium
9. Supports include: Hear text read aloud with dual color highlighting Have words explained with text and picture dictionaries and translated into other languages Get suggestions for the current or next word as you type with Word Prediction Turn speech to text in Google Docs Highlight and collect text; build vocabulary lists Simplify and summarize text on web pages Annotations, including typewriter tool Convert printed documents and inaccessible files into classroom files with Snapverter! http://rw.texthelp.com/drive/Support/Install http://www.texthelp.com/north-america/readwriteforgoogle/
10. Read&Write for Google Activities Read Text: Highlight text to read selection or click to read all text. Use Play, Pause, Stop controls.
11. Settings: Use to change voice, speed, language.Translator 1. Highlight text. 2. Click Translator icon.
12. Prediction Enter text in the document and a list of 10 suggestions will appear. Mouse over a word in the list, the word will be read aloud. Picture Dictionary Highlight word Click Picture Dictionary Dictionary Highlight word Click Dictionary
13. Fact Finder 1. Highlight term. 2. Click Fact Finder. 3. Google Web Search.
14. Highlight and collect highlights
15. Vocabulary Highlight to collect terms, then click Vocabulary icon. A new document is created with the vocabulary list. Click title to rename. See Vocabulary List Wild Animals on this Planet
17. Quick Start Guide
18. Apps Launcher (to locate after installation)
19. Click subject area or topic. Select class level, write, quiz, print.
22. Change font & size 1. Click on the text area on the page. 2. The tool panel will appear on the left. 3. Click the font icon to change the article appearance. 4. Click font style, use sliders to increase/decrease size. You can also add tags, favorite, recommend, share, send, download the article.
23. Extensity Use to manage extensions
24. Click Extensity icon in address bar. Click extension you want to turn off/on- it will grey out if turned off.
25. BeeLine Reader BeeLine Reader: Adds a color gradient that guides your eyes from the end of one line to the beginning of the next. You can choose colors and use OpenDyslexia font.
26. VoiceNote II Typing with your voice and speech recognition. Simple and functional notepad. Can also use to record in several languages.
27. 1. Click the globe. 2. Select language using drop down arrows. 3. Click mic icon to record.
28. Use Editing mode editing tools to edit your notes- add punctuation, correct spelling, etc. Save note. Erase/return text. Customize and Control- view My Notes, use My Dictionaries, Settings
29. Can record in several other languages! Save a note.
30. customize and control Use to view: My Notes My Dictionaries Settings
31. My Notes: My Dictionaries: Use to create a dictionary that corrects voice recognition errors. Setttings: Use to Change skin or Mic setting
32. EasyBib EasyBib Introductory tutorial easybib.com Cite a Website, Book, Newspaper, Journal, Database, Digital image, etc.
33. Bookshare Text-to-speech and word-level highlighting Bookshare is the worlds largest online library of copyrighted content for people with qualified print disabilities. Installing this extension enables text-to-speech and word-level highlighting for the Bookshare Web Reader. Open only to LD w/IEP.
34. Bookshare YouTube Channel
35. How to use Bookshare
36. Adblock Plus Add in Chrome Web Store as an Extension
37. Icon shows how many ads have been blocked on the webpage. You can also choose to turn on/off features using the switches.
38. For Elementary Teachers and Students
39. Hooda Math Games HoodaMath.com contains over 500 Math Games. All available online for free. No registration required. Math Games by Grade K-12 Math Games by Subject Timed Tests Manipulatives Logic Games Physics Games Jigsaw Puzzles
41. Checker Plus for Google Drive Quickly browse your Google Drive files without opening a webpage and get notifications of modifications to your shared documents Browse, open, search or delete your files and documents right from a browser button (without waiting for Google Drive's page to open) Get desktop notifications when any of your files/documents are modified or updated by a shared user Can be used as an FVD Speed Dial widget
42. Additional Extensions & Apps
43. AdBlock The original AdBlock for Chrome. Block all advertisements on all web pages, even Facebook, Youtube, and Hulu. It works automatically: just click "Add to Chrome," then visit your favorite website and see the ads disappear! You can also get AdBlock for Safari, Opera, and Firefox from getadblock.com. News8
44. Snapverter Snapverter is the easy-to-use document conversion add-on for anyone using read&write for google. Snapverter cleverly recognizes text from worksheets, handouts, book pages, photocopies and other paper based classroom materials. Just grab your smartphone and snap. Documents are converted into accessible PDF files for easy sharing with your students in Google Drive. Then use the powerful tools in read&write for google to help struggling readers, ESL/ELL and students with dyslexia or learning diffculties. And thats not all. Snapverter also converts Bookshare digital publications in DAISY format to accessible EPUB files for reading aloud with read&write for google. Users have 10 scans for initial trial. After that, the number of scans drops to 1 per week.
45. How to use it http://support.texthelp.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=15&id=127&artlang=en
46. Google Keep Quickly capture what's on your mind and share those thoughts with friends and family. Quickly capture what's on your mind and share those thoughts with friends and family. Speak a voice memo on the go and have it automatically transcribed. Grab a photo of a poster, receipt or document and easily organize or find it later in search. Capture whats on your mind Add notes, lists and photos to Google Keep. Pressed for time? Record a voice memo and Keep will transcribe it so you can find it later. Share ideas with friends and family Easily plan that surprise party by sharing your Keep notes with others and collaborating on them in real time. Find what you need, fast Color code and add labels to notes to quickly organize and get on with your life. If you need to find something you saved, a simple search will turn it up. Always within reach Keep works on your phone, tablet, computer and Android wearables. Everything you add syncs across all of your devices, so your thoughts are always with you. The right note at the right time Need to remember to pick up some groceries? Set a location-based reminder to pull up your grocery list right when you get to the store. Available everywhere Try Google Keep on the web at http://keep.google.com and on your Android phone by downloading the app at http://g.co/keep. What's new: Better organization Organize your notes by adding labels to them. Labels are quickly accessible in the main menu. Add recurring reminders to never miss regular to-dos.
48. Literacy Tool The Literacy Tool will help you DISCOVER, UNDERSTAND and EXPLORE online scientific texts. The aim of the scientific Literacy Tool is to lower the barriers to scientific knowledge. We would like to encourage you to discover, understand, and explore scientific texts and by doing so, stimulate your natural curiosity. This is a big goal and it might take some time to satisfy all needs, but it is a path we are eager to pursue. To activate the extension, click on the Literacy Tool icon (top right corner of your chrome browser) a green tab will appear on the left side of your browser and you are ready to go! If you want to explore a term while reading a scientific text simply double click on the term and a list of options will be offered to you. No need to save for later - all the resources you explored through the Literacy Tool are automatically added to your editable boards. http://literacytool.com/
49. Teach for Google www.TeachforGoogle.com http://support.texthelp.com/index.php?action=artikel&cat=18&id=161&artlang=en What is Teach for Google? Teach for Google is a professional development solution that helps Educators increase student achievement using proven tools and strategies within the Google Apps for Education environment. Teach for Google offers a fast growing library of short, easy to implement courses consisting of How-To videos, strategy overviews, templates, checklists and more that provide all the tools necessary to successfully implement effective strategies in the classroom. Each course is designed with the everyday classroom in mind and based on evidence from research literature. Teach for Googles flexible nature allows for use when and where its needed most. Educators can complete an entire course and earn a certificate to prove it, or drop in and grab only the resources needed for a specific lesson. Regardless of how its used, these strategies will increase engagement and achievement in almost any classroom setting. When will Teach be available? Teach for Google is available now at www.TeachforGoogle.com