2. Combine using OR/AND/NOT (Boolean Operators) Boolean logic refers to the logical relationship among search terms (keywords). Use Boolean Logic to narrow, broaden, or exclude search results. Boolean logic consists of three logical operators: AND/OR/NOT AND/NOT>>>>>>>>> (Decrease results) OR>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (Increase results) Use Boolean Logic to connect your keywords in a language databases understand.
3. Boolean Operators 1. Boolean Operator AND>>Connects 2 or more keywords Example> Fluid AND Electrolyte imbalance 2. Boolean Operator OR>>Connects 2 or more similar concepts Example> Oral Lesions OR Ulcers 3. Boolean Operator NOT>>Used to exclude words from your search Example>Women NOT Men
4. Advanced Search Techniques Truncation What is Truncation? Truncation, also called stemming, is a technique that allows you to search for various word endings and spellings simultaneously.
5. Advanced Search Techniques Truncation To use truncation enter the root of a word and put the truncation symbol at the end. The database will return results that include any ending of that root word. Examples: child* = child, childs, children, childrens, childhood *GOAL in using truncation is to retrieve more results.
6. Advanced Search Techniques Truncation Truncation symbols may vary by database, the most common truncation symbols are: * Asterisk ! Exclamation Mark ? Question Mark # Hashtag Look at the database Help screens to find out which symbol to use.