1. E XTENDEDL EARNINGI NSTITUTE Kim Monti Instructional Designer Nantana Wongtanasirikul Instructional Designer
Who we are, what we do
Community of Inquiry framework
Web 2.0 tools we use
Lessons learned and next phase with tool
Whats next with ELI and Web 2.0
Offered distance education for over 30 years
Fastest growing area in NOVA
Moving from print-based to online courses
Moving from self-paced to collaborative work
4. Garrison, Anderson, Archer , 1999 5. 6. 7. 8. Tip: Have students post their username on their profile; Create GROUP in Skype to sort students by course. 9. Tip: Include your online office hour in your syllabus 10.
Not many students interested in using chat with their instructors
Create special group projects, exam review
Give extra credit for participating
11. Tip: Keep it short and sweet 12.
Old way of teaching in new tool
Discussion around the topic
Optional tool for students to use for presentations, class assignments
Using Viddler ( http://www.viddler.com /)
13. Tip: Create a username and password where entire class posts. 14.
Some students found posting their videos difficult
Give students additional options to share videos beyond YouTube
Provide clear guidelines and examples
Additional materials required (webcam)
Tip: Collaborate together towards an end goal such as a project, paper, or presentation
16. 17. Tip: Consider to turn on/off the notification email 18. Tip: Encourage students to invite their friends and family to their blogs 19.
Difficult to keep track of each students contribution
Use for brainstorming.Not for final drafts
Incorporate synchronous communication
Guidelines for interaction in tool
Enable notification in tools
20. So many tools, so little time. Please dont overwhelm me 21. 22. 23. 24. 25. 26. 27. http://delicious.com/eliid/salt 28.
For links to all of the tools mentioned today (and more!):