Skinner's auctions of European Furniture & Decorative Arts, held four times annually, feature a wide array of English, French, German, Dutch, and Russian offerings including fine furniture, silver, ceramics, pottery, tapestries, mechanical music, lighting, rugs, and carpets.
SKINNEREuropean Furniture & Decorative Artsfeaturing Fine SilverSale 2498 April 10, 2010 Boston
European Furniture & Decorative Artsfeaturing Fine SilverSPECIALISTS IN CHARGE
Stuart Slavid Department Director, Ceramics 508.970.3278
Stuart Whitehurst Furniture 508.970.3293
Sara Wishart Decorative Arts, Silver 508.970.3282
European Furniture & Decorative Arts Department - 508.970.3203 General Inquiries: email@example.com
AUCTION 2498 Saturday, April 10, 2010 at 10 a.m. 63 Park Plaza Boston, Massachusetts PREVIEWThursday, April 8, 2010 Friday, April 9, 2010 12 to 5 p.m. 12 to 8 p.m.
ABSENTEE BIDDINGTel: 617.874.4318 Fax: 617.350.5429 Online: www.skinnerinc.com
GENERAL INQUIRIES617.350.5400View all lots online at www.skinnerinc.comCOVER : 786 ; FRONTISPIECE : 442
Register Preview and Bid Live Online at www.skinnerinc.com
Preview OnlineSkinner makes previewing online anytime from your home or office easy and convenient. View all lots in the auction in order, many with multiple views. You can also flip through the pages of our interactive virtual catalog or download the catalog PDF to your desktop.
Absentee Bidding/Tracking LotsSkinners website accepts absentee bids up to one hour before an auction begins. Once youve placed your bids, use Track Lots to track those items and see their selling prices. You can also use Track Lots to track the selling price of items youre simply curious about, whether youve bid on them or not.
Lot AlertLet Skinners Lot Alert do your searching for you! Lot Alert continuously searches Skinners upcoming auctions for items that interest you, and automatically emails you when an item matches your interest profile. Visit www.skinnerinc.com and click on the Buy/Sell tab to find out more about Lot Alert.
Bid Live Online with Skinner-Live!Theres nothing like bidding live at an auctionand now Skinner brings that live auction experience to our website with Skinner-Live! Visit www.skinnerinc.com and click on the Buy/Sell tab to learn more about bidding live online with Skinner-Live!
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1 2 4 5 138 139 140 141 142 143
Auction & Specialist Information Web Site & Online Bidding Provenance Lots 1-978 Conditions of Sale Absentee Bid Form Company Directors & Specialty Departments Administrative Staff & Client Services Map & Driving Directions Catalogue Subscription Form
Please Note: All lots sold subject to our Conditions of Sale. Please refer to page 138 of this catalogue for the full terms and conditions governing your purchase.
Copyright Skinner, Inc. 2010 All rights reserved
Estate of N. David Scotti, Providence, Rhode Island Lots: 10A, 103, 104, 133, 241A, 442, 460A, 464, 479, 505, 507, 509, 511, 512, 514-517, 519, 522-527, 529, 530, 533-537, 540, 546, 548, 549, 552, 556-559, 562, 567, 570, 571, 575, 577, 579, 585, 588, 589, 592, 593, 595, 596, 600, 602, 605, 606, 608, 614, 618, 622-628, 633, 640-643, 684-687, 689, 690, 692, 693, 696-699, 707, 708, 710-713, 715, 718, 721, 723-734, 736, 737, 743, 745, 747-749, 752, 754, 755, 758-767, 770-773, 775-777, 779-783, 786A, 788, 790, 793, 794, 798, 800, 803, 806, 808-812, 815, 818-820, 824, 827-8330, 834, 844, 845, 850, 859, 867, 868, 870, 877, 880, 881, 896-903, 907, 910, 915, 916, 929, 930, 936, 949, 969, 970 N. David (Nino) Scotti was a lifelong antiques collector and enthusiast, as well as a Southern New England history aficionado. Scotti, born and raised in Providence, first began attending auctions with his mother in his teens. In his twenties, he co-founded a company in downtown Providence that became Associated Appraisers Inc., an estate auctioneer.1 In the companys last thirty years, Scotti was the primary owner and manager as well as principal auctioneer. He was active in Providences cultural scene, and was an avid supporter of societies such as the Hope Club, the Turks Head Club, the Providence Art Club, and the Providence Athenaeum.1. Providence Journal, N. David Scotti [obituary], August 26, 2008.
1. Four Grainger Worcester Porcelain Items, England, 1870-1900, including a tripod vase and cover with mottled mauve, brown, and green glazes, gilt trim and jeweled finial, ht. 6; together with three ivory ground items: a potpourri and cover, gilt trim to a pierced top and bowl with molded foliate designs, dia. 5 1/2; and a pair of twohandled vases with long necks above globular bodies, gilt trim, polychrome enameled with figures of harvesters, ht. 4 3/4 in.; printed and impressed marks. $400-600
4. Jeweled Venetian Glass Center Bowl, Italy, 20th century, red glass footed bowl with gold-painted classical scene with oceanic figures, white enamel jeweled borders, ht. 7 3/4, dia. 9 in. $500-700 5. Three Royal Worcester Porcelain Perfume Bottles, England, 19th century, each gilded and polychrome enameled, two with birds, another with foliage, printed marks, lg. 3 1/4 to 3 5/8 in. $300-500 6. Dutch Marquetry Inlaid and Carved Walnut Game Table, 19th century, with serpentine top and inset leather interior, the candle rests inlaid with cards, with frieze drawer and acanthus carved cabriole legs ending in claw-and-ball feet, ht. 29, wd. 28, dp. 13 1/4 in. $800-1,200 7. Mid-Georgian Mahogany Candlestand, 18th century, circular top above a plain stem with ring-turned lower section and tripod base, ht. 35, dia. 14 1/2 in. $200-250
2. Majolica Jardinire and Pedestal Base, Continental, late 19th century, polychrome enameled and gilt decorated with shells and scrolled foliates, the jardinire with pierced rim and side medallions, lg. 17, pedestal ht. 28 1/2 in. $600-800
3. Gilt-bronze and Porcelain Compote, France, 19th century, the cherub base sustaining a branch-form arm with leaves and berries, supporting a hexagonal shaped porcelain dish hand-painted with flowers, overall ht. 24 1/4; dish dia. 9 3/4 in. $800-1,200
8. Longwy Earthenware Mantel Clock, France, late 19th century, retailed by Tilden Thurber and Co. of Providence, Rhode Island, buffcolored ground with gilt-framed polychrome enameled cartouches, cherubs below the clock dial and flowers with musical instruments surrounding the top and to either side, artist signed Quentin, impressed factory mark, ht. 13 in. $500-800
9. Russian Icon with Silver Riza, first quarter 19th century, riza with city mark for Moscow and hallmark for 1819, depicting Our Lady of the Sign, the center with the Virgin overseeing a circular medallion depicting the Infant Christ, the upper border portraying God the Father, and the side and lower borders painted with David, Moses, Isaiah, Sofoni, Avvakum, Elijah, Ezekiel, Daniel, and Solomon, all holding scrolls with Biblical inscriptions and surrounded by floral scrolling foliage; repouss silver gilt riza, the borders chased with anthemion, the corners applied with cherub masks, the name plates executed in white enamel and the Virgin and Child covered with a seed pearl riza set with faceted stones, ht. 16, wd. 13 3/4 in. $4,000-6,000
10. Spanish School, 19th Century The Crucifixion Unsigned. Oil on canvas, 80 1/2 x 64 3/4 in. (204.5 x 164.5 cm), unframed. Condition: Lined, retouch, trimmed tacking margins, craquelure. $3,000-5,000
10A. Set of Three Framed British Hand-tinted Prints of Napoleonic War Naval Battles, c. 1812, published by G. Andrews, London, after original art by R. and D. Havell, the three plates depicting a naval battle between the squadron under the command of Captain Barrie and the French, each bearing header title To the Captains, Officers & Crews of His Majestys Ships Pomone, Captain Barrie, Unite, Captain Chamberlayne, & Scout Brig. Captain Sharpe, French matted and uniformly framed in ebonized and parcel-giltwood frames, sight size 25 1/8 x 19, frame 34 x 28 1/4 in., (not examined out of frame, fading, scattered soiling and spotting, Plate 1 with two repaired tears to lower edge). $800-1,200
11. Silk Prayer Rug, India, late 20th century, 3 ft. 9 in. x 2 ft. 6 in. $200-300
13. Art Nouveau Giltwood and Fabric-inset Three-Panel Floor Screen, c. 1900, with undulating cresting and shaped panels, all inset with Viennese velvet panels depicting polychrome Art Nouveau motifs, ht. 70, wd. 62 in. $3,000-5,000 14. William & Mary Walnut Chest of Drawers, early 18th century, with rectangular top and case fitted with two short drawers over two long drawers, on later bracket feet, ht. 36, wd. 38, dp. 21 in. $600-800
12. Tin Glazed Faience Ink Stand, France, 19th century, polychrome enamel decorated with rococo foliate borders and floral sprays above figures in a landscape, inkpot and sander inserts, lg. 11 in. $100-150
14A. George III Mahogany Chest of Drawers, late 18th century, rectangular case fitted with a brushing slide and four graduated drawers, ogee bracket feet, ht. 31, wd. 33, dp. 19 in. $400-600 15. Jules Moigniez (French, 1835-1894) Bronze Figure of Merino Ram and Sheep, mounted atop a rocky oval base, dark brown patination, incised signature, ht. 10 in. $1,200-1,800 15A. Italian School, 19th Century Portrait of a Man in Profile Inscribed Le D... in pen on the reverse. Oil on panel, 2 1/8 x 1 3/4 in. (5.4 x 4.4 cm), within a hinged metal frame. Condition: Craquelure, subtle varnish inconsistencies, minor retouch. $250-350
16. Extensive Assembled Imari Decorated Porcelain Dinner Service, England, 19th century, each in underglazed blue with gold and overglazed polychrome enameled floral landscape centering floral, foliate, and cell border designs, including an oval soup tureen and cover, handle to handle lg. 12 1/2; rectangular covered soup tureen and cover, lion finial and handles, handle to handle lg