Identifying the necessary skills for the office professional
1. Self Defense for Administrative Professionals Dewoun Hayes, CAP Author of The Office Professionals Place Blog President Elite Office Concepts, Inc.
2. Objectives Identify the skills needed for protection Discuss ways to develop skills needed to combat the day Discuss tips/techniques to improve self-defenses 2 3. What needs protecting? Reputation Sanity Career 3 4. Top 5 Skills (Defenses) Communication
5. OrganizationTime Management Management Soft skills!!! 4 6. Communication 5 7. I see you talking! Rapid eye blinking Clenched fists Folded arms Hands touching mouth or nose Raised eyebrow Tilting head forward Drumming fingers 6 8. Communication Formula Greeting/Introduction + State purpose for communication + State your expectations + Closing/Follow-up = Effective Messages 7 9. Active Listening Skills Paraphrasing use transitional phrases Clarifying ask questions Feedback -give opinions, summarize, offer advice or suggestions 8 10. Interpersonal Skills Conflict resolution Assertiveness Problem solving Effective decision making 9 11. Organization 10 12. Organization Tips File it away immediately. Schedule a filing time or day. Color code files 11 13. Time Management 12 14. Task Management Matrix 13 15. Management 14 16. Management Career Traits
17. Prioritize 18. Organize 19. Direct15 Character Traits
20. Communicate 21. Provide feedback 22. Give praise