ROMANTICISMQUIZ 1: MULTIPLE CHOICE AND CLOZEKate Liu British Literature III
1. Which of the following is NOT the features of Romanticism? Emphasis on Democracy and Social Security Subjectivism & SingularityPursuit of Poetic Ideals Poetry as the dominant genre.
2. Which of the following lines is not ironic?
PoemO Rose, thou art sick! The invisible worm That flies in the night, In the howling storm, 1Has found out thy bed Of crimson joy, 2And his dark secret love Does thy life destroy. 3
3. Which of the following is from Songs of Innocence? ``And because I am happy & dance & sing, They think they have done me no injury, And are gone to praise God & his Priest & King, Who make up a heaven of our misery.''
And so Tom awoke; and we rose in the dark, And got with our bags & our brushes to work, Tho the morning was cold, Tom was happy & warm, So if all do their duty they need not fear harm.
1. Chimney Sweeper2. Chimney Sweeper
Chimney SweepersA boy climbing to the left; A boy 'stuck' to the right (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimney_sweep#Climbing_boys )
4. Infant Sorrow Fill in the Blanks My mother groaned, my father wept; Into the dangerous world I leapt, Helpless, naked, piping loud, Like ____ hid in a cloud. Struggling in my father's hands, Striving against my swaddling bands, Bound and weary, I thought best To ___ upon my mother's breast.1. an angel/suck 2. a fiend/ sulk 3. A victim / sulk 4. A villain/suck
Cloze Group WorkClose your textbook. Put the word cards on a plateChoose appropriate answer for each blank and use white board pen to write on the blanks. Pick up from your text details to analyze.
I wandered lonely as a cloudI wandered lonely as a cloud That floats on high o'er ___and ___, When all at once I saw a ___, A ___, of golden _______; Beside the ___, beneath the ___, Fluttering and dancing in the ___. Continuous as the ___that shine And twinkle on the milky, They ___in never-ending ___ Along the ____of a bay: Ten ___ saw I at a ___, Tossing their ___in sprightly ____.The beside them danced; but they Out-did the sparkling waves in __: A ____ could not but be gay, In such a jocund ____: I gazed---and gazed---but little What ____the show to me had brought: For oft, when on my ___I lie In ___or in pensive ____, They flash upon that inward Which is the ___ of solitude; And then my __with pleasure fills, And dances with the ___.
*QUIZ412603*QUIZ312603*QUIZ202602**QUIZ422603**--Vales -- hills --crowd host daffodils, --lake, trees, --breeze, stars, --way, stretched, --line, margin, thousand, glance, heads, dance, waves, glee, poet, company, thought, wealth, couch, vacant, mood, eye, bliss, heart , daffodils*